Brewer Fanatic

Chris Cody

Many of you follow the minor leagues a bit closer than I do. However, I was wondering why this guy does not get more attention? Why is he ranked 36 in the power 50. Seems like he should be much higher. He had a 1.81 era last year in 114 IP and has a 1.93 ERA this year in AA. Seems to be doing better than Jeffress. The only thing I can figure is that he's a bit older and that I have seen some refer to him as a finess pitcher. It doesn't seem like he can be that much of a finess pitcher. He had 93 Ks in 114 IP last year and has 26 in 32 IP this year and he has better than a 3 to 1 K/BB ratio both years. I don't have his complete stats from 2007, but it looks like he did well then as well (1.77 ERA with Class A West Mich in 14 starts and 3.60 ERA in 5 starts with Brevard County.

I don't really understand why this guy is not listed as one of the Brewer's better prospects up there with Gamel, Escobar, Lawrie, Jeffress, Salome, etc. If I'm Cody, I'm thinking what do I have to do to get noticed. It would be hard to pitch any better than he has over the last 2 or 3 years. What other Brewer minor league pitcher has put up better numbers?

edit: I just saw the article posted recently in the Huntsville Stars thread regarding Cody. I guess I can somewhat understand that it's hard to get to high on 25 year old who's fastball tops out at 85. However, it's also hard to argue with his numbers.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

In his case it's simply a matter of pure stuff like you noted. He's going to have to prove himself at every single level because he has very little margin of error. If Jeffress doesn't make it as a starter, he has a good chance to make it in the bullpen. Cody might profile better as a reliever right now, which limits his value. He's just incredibly difficult to project, his results have been absolutely fantastic, but is he a SP or RP, is he a LOOGY only, can he continue to get hitters out at the next level and then MLB?

I feel comfortable saying Cody will get a chance to pitch in the majors, I'm just not sure in what role and for how long.

I agree that he's too low though given his success early as he continues to build upon what he did last season, he should probably be in low teens someplace.

edit. I don't know why I type low teens when I was thinking high teens. I was thinking 17-19 for him personally if I was going to do a top 20 again.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Melvin has given him some respect... isn't this the guy we got back in the Gabe Gross trade? For that reason alone, I hope we get some major league service out of him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived