Brewer Fanatic

Penny to Brewers?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to see Chris Cody get a shot before we make a move like that.

The Brewers are not going to stake their postseason hopes on Chris Cody. You might give him a look after you've dropped out of contention, but not in the midst of trying to stay in a race. Rolling the dice on a 2 time 16 game winner seems the better option if the price is reasonable.

I'd like to see Chris Cody get a shot before we make a move like that.

The Brewers are not going to stake their postseason hopes on Chris Cody. You might give him a look after you've dropped out of contention, but not in the midst of trying to stay in a race. Rolling the dice on a 2 time 16 game winner seems the better option if the price is reasonable.

If our big move is picking up Penny, then you will see Cody this year, because we will drop out of contention. Penny is not the same pitcher he used to be, and would not be a difference maker for the Brewers' postseason hopes.

I wouldn't mind Penny, depending on the price. The Red Sox want a B prospect for him. That's far too much imo for a guy who isn't a type A or B free agent and isn't likely to gain that status and a guy who has injury concerns.

Cody has a chance to be decent, Penny has clearly established over the last 1 1/2 that he's not good. Cody gives us a better chance to make the post season than Penny. What Penny did years ago is irrelivent, as injury has destroyed that pitcher.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I'd like you to elaborate on how Cody is an unknown. I hate how "unknown" & "unproven" are thrown around when discussing prospects... like no MLB players come out of the minor leagues.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'd like you to elaborate on how Cody is an unknown. I hate how "unknown" & "unproven" are thrown around when discussing prospects... like no MLB players come out of the minor leagues.
I agree. And I'd rather have an "unknown" or "unproven" prospect than a major league player known and proven to be mediocre or bad.

To add, unknown/unproven pitchers often have a LOT of success their first 5-10 starts before hitters catch up to them. Might be about the perfect time to give Cody a chance.

Yea Little Ben sure tore it up when he was called up.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Most AAA pitchers are well below average...that's the whole idea of the minors. A proven vet who can be expected to have a 4.50 ERA is better than all but the very best AAA pitchers.

If you want to go with Cody, compare his AAA stats to Burns. Then, remember his lack of velocity...Burns hits 89 consistently, and tops out at 90-91.

Most AAA pitchers are well below average...that's the whole idea of the minors. A proven vet who can be expected to have a 4.50 ERA is better than all but the very best AAA pitchers.

If you want to go with Cody, compare his AAA stats to Burns. Then, remember his lack of velocity...Burns hits 89 consistently, and tops out at 90-91.

The point is somebody like Cody doesn't cost anything to give a chance. Somebody like Penny is going to cost you, and you already know he isn't going to give you much based on what he has done so far this season. Why go after Penny when it's not the type of move that's going to put you over the top? To me, it would just be a waste move.

Penny may well be worth 10+ runs over Burns/whoever else is #5. Last year, the Crew won the wildcard by a single game, and this year, 4 teams are 2 games apart in the NL Central. A win is a win, and it could mean the difference between staying home and making the playoffs.

I only have Halladay as about 2 wins better than Parra the rest of the way (which is a ton mind you, in 2 months), and that's projecting Roy with a 2.50 ERA. One player does not make you 5 games better with 60 games left, even if you replace some weak hitting OF with Babe Ruth.

We need to learn a little from our past. We traded for slight improvements in Len Barker, Jerry Reuss, Jeffrey Leonard, Mike Boddicker, Scott Linebrink, and Tony Graffanino. It wasn't enough. Somebody in our division is going to get hot. We need to think not about improving our position by 3 games, but getting to 90 victories. I don't want to make a trade that has more long-term harm than short-term gain. I didn't mind trading LaPorta because we still Gillespie. Next year we won't have either of those guys and we will have nothing to show for it (except in the low minors).

I didn't mind trading LaPorta because we still Gillespie. Next year we won't have either of those guys and we will have nothing to show for it (except in the low minors).

And a playoff banner, you can't ignore that fact when evaluating a trade.. The goal of adding a piece like CC or Halladay is to get to the playoffs, where anything can happen.

Didn't we all agree going into this season that this team had too many holes to be a playoff team and that we should wait until 2010 when the next wave (Gamel, Escobar, Salome, etc) could start and enable us to improve offensively at some spots and trade some vets (Hardy/Hart) for pitching)? More than a half season done and this is obviously still the case, and yet people want to bottom out the system some to add Halladay who won't likely land us in the playoffs. That's pretty incredible to me. Stick to the plan that made sense guys.

Didn't we all agree going into this season that this team had too many holes to be a playoff team and that we should wait until 2010 when the next wave (Gamel, Escobar, Salome, etc) could start and enable us to improve offensively at some spots and trade some vets (Hardy/Hart) for pitching)? More than a half season done and this is obviously still the case, and yet people want to bottom out the system some to add Halladay who won't likely land us in the playoffs. That's pretty incredible to me. Stick to the plan that made sense guys.

No we didn't.

What makes you think adding Gamel/Escobar/Salome guarantees a shot at the playoffs next year?

I get that you hate the idea of trading any prospects at all, but quit trying to act like everyone thought this was going to be a throwaway season. Most people were fairly optimistic going into the season.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived