Brewer Fanatic

Penny to Brewers?

Buster Olney just speculating, but these guys hate bringing up teams like Milwaukee in trade rumors, so sometimes there MIGHT be a LITTLE more to it. Anyway, it's in this link after the first story.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4157479&name=olney_buster&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d4157479%26name%3dolney_buster

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's an interesting idea like you said...at this point though, where would you even put him? I suppose Parra would have to move to the bullpen, if it did happen. I would think the price to get Penny wouldn't be that high, which would be kind of nice. But he hasn't been very good so far this year, either...6.90 ERA and 1.76 WHIP after 6 starts.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• 2 weeks later...
Bob Ryan is a moron.

Yeah he is. Have you ever heard that guy when he fills in on ESPN? Brutal.

Again, the point of getting Penny (or any pitcher, whether it be Bedard, Lee or Peavy) would be to strengthen the major league club. Trading our starting SS for a struggling starting pitcher and a middle reliever doesn't strengthen the major league club.

Actually its more like Looper, he's still better than Suppan. That said Penny's FB is 1 MPH less than it was in 2006, the last year he posted good K numbers. And his control might take a whole season to get back to his preinjury level.

As for Bob Ryan's idea, it shows it takes very little intelligence to be a sports columnist.

What's maddening to me is that there really aren't any checks & balances on sportswriters & broadcasters -- they can just spout whatever nonsense comes to mind, and it's up to fans to elighten themselves. Kinda defeats the point of the jobs imo.

In other jobs, when you come up with stupid ideas, typically there's a supervisor and/or co-workers to point out the flaws in said ideas. In sports journalism, your editor apparently just spellchecks.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

What's maddening to me is that there really aren't any checks & balances on sportswriters & broadcasters -- they can just spout whatever nonsense comes to mind, and it's up to fans to elighten themselves. Kinda defeats the point of the jobs imo.

In other jobs, when you come up with stupid ideas, typically there's a supervisor and/or co-workers to point out the flaws in said ideas. In sports journalism, your editor apparently just spellchecks.

But they have journalism degrees, from Columbia! [/Albom]

With all the complaing guys like Mitch Albom, Buzz Bissinger and Murray Chass do about bloggers, you'd think they'd be a little more careful about throwing out crap in print.

Penny's not great, but he's started to turn it around and has been a league-average pitcher outside of his awful second start. More encouraging, he's really cut down on the free passes over the past 5 or 6 starts. He'd definitely be an upgrade over both Looper an Suppan and probably Parra for a reasonable price - most likely a prospect in the 8-15 range. Given the strength of their 'pen, I don't think the Sox would be interested in Swindle. I know they liked Odorizzi leading up to the draft, so he's a possibility, as are guys like Scarpetta and Wily Peralta.

Do you guys see that as fair value?

also, if acquired, Manny delCarmen would likely be the Brewers closer of the future. He's only 27 and has struck out almost a batter per inning with a 3.25 ERA over the first 200+ innings of his career. He sits in the mid 90's with his fastball, and has a pretty sharp curve that he's been able to spot well the past two years and has relatively low walk rates for a power reliever. That would definitely be a solid return for Hardy when packaged with Penny given Escobar's progress in AAA.

804 Sox, no disrespect intended by why would we trade one of the best shortstops in baseball for an average at best starter and a reliever? I definitely agree that Delcarmen is good and have advocated trying to acquire him in the past but you dont trade a guy like Hardy for any reliever.

On a side note I can definitely see Hardy in Boston if we dont resign him before he reaches free agency. Since the Sox need a shortstop so badly how about a deal involving Escobar and Clay Buchholtz. That sounds like a win/win trade for both teams.

Archived