Brewer Fanatic

"Game used" pricing?

Invader3K

Is there any rough rule for how much value an item being "game used" adds to the price of the item? I'm just curious...I would like to pick up some game used bats or jerseys eventually, and prices seem to be all over the place. For example, I saw a guy on ebay selling a Sabathia game used Brewers jersey, and was asking $1400 for it, which seems crazy. I've seen others in the Brewers store going for more in the $300-400 range.

Just curious and thought maybe some of the experts on here could chime in.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Jerseys can get expensive depending on the player and what kind of jersey. Home road or warm up. Bats are more reasonable to me. And that depends on when you buy them. During or after the season. For example I saw a villanueva game bat sell for 80.00 on eBay during the season. After the season I got 2 for 40.00. They only gamer I bought from mp was a Braun bat. Because the MLB hologram it was well worth. It. I like to follow the how bad do I want it method when it comes to buying game used items. Off season is when prices are the best. But it can get expensive. I just did a quick look but I have 1800 in bats from last years team alone.

I got a game used Carlos Lee bat from Miller Park last year for 30. It was originally at 50, except the hologram wasn't on there, so Miller Park dropped it. It's cracked, but I felt it was still worth more than 50, so I felt 30 wa a steal. I also got a Glenn Braggs bat for my birthday a long time ago that is also cracked, and curious how much that would go for.

I also have a game used spring training Gary Mathews Brewers jersey when he was a coach. That was 25. I don't think it's worth all that much, but it was a good find at the On Deck a few years ago. But he was a solid player in his day. I figured that was worth more than the Jose Capellan jersey also available.

How much would a pair of signed Corey Hart batting gloves go for? I saw some priced around 150 or so. I have no idea if that's worth it or not.

I was also wondering about the same pair of Hart batting gloves that were mentioned. I kind of started collecting signed game used batting gloves as "the next phase" of my collecting. So far I've got a pair of Braun (~$200), Laporta($60), Cain($40), and one of Gwynn, Jr. ($15). Sort of on topic, I have a pair of my own Nike shox cleats that were signed last week by Hardy, Parra, and Nelson when they came into where I work on Friday night. All 3 signed each shoe, and I was curious what it'd be worth. No intentions of ever getting rid of them, just wondering.

those hart batting gloves are overpriced IMO but if i had a few pair of batting gloves I would get them cause the fit with my collection. And the braggs bat depends on who is buying it. I got mine for 15.00. And I has thrilled. If you ever want to sell it I know someone that would buy it. The Cameron glove is very cool.

eBay and card shows is where I get most of my stuff. My family really helps me find stuff as well.

Getting an actual fielder's glove is quite a challenge since the players don't go through them like they do batting gloves and bats (even so, the bats and batting gloves are not necessaily "plentiful" in the secondary market). I'd say the $100 was a steal for the Cameron glove. Heck, if you went to a sporting goods store to pick out a new glove with similar quality I doubt you could touch one for that price.

I can't even remember how I came across the Cameron glove - ebay or Craigslist - one or the other. I do remember that the guy was a White Sox fan and just didn't want it anymore. I've gotten the majority of the game-used stuff through ebay, craigslist, or memorabilia websites.

The Sabathia jersey on Ebay actually isn't bad - I believe in the Brewer's store one is selling (or was selling) for about $2000. If you go to the gift shop on the Terrace level you'll get game used jerseys of lesser-known players (Vargas, King, Wise), for a couple hundred bucks.

The auctions they have online for the Cerveceros/Bears jerseys every year can yield some nice deals if you don't want the top-level guys. 2 years ago I got Sheets and Jenkins Bears jerseys (game used & auto'd) around $800 total for both. With those, you know they are legit, they have the MLB hologram / ID# for authentication. Plus the proceeds for those usually go to some form of charity or other good cause, which is a nice bonus.

I remember after I got those, I went to the store at MP and they had a Sheets regular home uni for around $1k, and it wasn't even signed, so they do charge big $ there for the jerseys.

Archived