Brewer Fanatic

"Visible altercations"

"Neither me or my wife drink and i cannot fathom why people feel the need to get "blasted" or 'f'ed up'."

Because its fun.

Having two or three beers, I can see. But to spend $20 for a ticket, and then $5 (or whatever it is now) per beer and have one every inning for the sole purpose of getting drunk, I can't fathom it. I can see it possibly for the age group from 21-24, but that's about it. It takes it a little bit beyond "fun"

To parents who bring their kids to Brewers-Cubs games: You know what to expect at the game. Drunks and naughty words. I'm not saying its right, but it is what happens. You have no right to be upset. Its like taking your kids to a R rated movie and complaining that the movie was inappropriate for your kids
Taking your kids to a ball game (Cubs/Brewers or otherwise), should not be like taking them to an R rated movie. Yes, I have every right to be upset at grown adults who are inconsiderate or oblivious of the fact that there are kids present and I don't think an usher should hesitate to remove fans that exhibit this kind of behavior. I shouldn't have to tell my son, "Sorry, we can't go to Brewers/Cubs games because some adults don't know how to behave". Since when is a baseball game considered an adults only event?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have no right to be upset.

Absolutely false. If you spend 100$ to take your family to the ball game you should have every expectation to be able to enjoy it.

Its like taking your kids to a R rated movie and complaining that the movie was inappropriate for your kids.

This comparison is neither apt nor sensible.

An R-rated movie is advertised appropriately. The Brewers are advertised as family fun. Families have been attending MLB in Milwaukee for about 50 years.

Secondly, there are never physical altercations at R-rated movies -- we aren't talking about a couple of random cuss words, we are talking about fights, spilling beer, etc...

I mean even Cardinal games are good games for the family cause we don't as fans consider them our arch rival and it is much better of a game to go to if you eant more of a calm game. Cubs-Brewers has come to far and their is no help saving.

You are just a Cub fan wearing a Brewers jersey.

The competition is on the field, not in the stands. Please do not reflect on our fanbase and city so poorly.

Yeah, I agree...Brewers games are advertised as family friendly events. It shouldn't be like going to a Hell's Angels clubhouse. You should be able to take your kids there without worrying about a fist fight breaking out in front of you. Though I think sticking to the family sections or springing for better seats might be wise, in some cases.

I drink at the games (usually one or two beers), but I can say with full confidence that I don't act like a drunken idiot. I'm there to enjoy the baseball game, first and foremost. Maybe it's because I learned long ago how to pace myself, and know how annoying being a bellowing idiot is. I don't get why some people can't grasp that concept. If you just want to get drunk and enjoy the "atmosphere", stay in the parking lot.

Edit: I'm no prude either...I cuss occasionally...I just don't see why some people can't tone it down when they are in a public place. It's not like your really original vocabulary is impressing anyone.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Though I think sticking to the family sections or springing for better seats might be wise, in some cases.

I agree to a degree -- I think families should exercise some degree of sensibility -- however, it seems to me, that if families have to "stay home when the Cubs are in town", the wrong people are attending the games. Also, realistically -- 95% of sober fans are going to be annoyed with people that cannot control their drinking, it is not realistic or fair to paint families as the bad guys here.

I drink at the games (usually one or two beers), but I can say with full confidence that I don't act like a drunken idiot.

Amen. There certainly is a place where people can enjoy a beer or two without fist-fighting or yelling.

The sad thing is, is that if things don't get under control -- beer sales will be restricted -- which is unfair to the large majority of fans.

If you just want to get drunk and enjoy the "atmosphere", stay in the parking lot.

Couldn't agree more. In fact maybe there should be an area in the parking lot for the "fans" that want to taunt each other and then pull each others hair, grabass, etc... rope it off and let them at it.

The only Cubs-Brewers games I've been to in the past 5 years have been at Wrigley or during a day game at Miller Park. In contrast, I go to a ton of weeknight games as tickets are easier to get and I feel the crowd is more "baseball-conscious" than on a weekend. Still, sitting in the bleachers for those games isn't really a family-appropriate experience either. Is this really a Brewers-Cubs issue or a drunken baseball fans thing? Remember this isn't just a Milwaukee problem either...go to either of the Chicago stadiums, NY, Philly, Baltimore, SF-LA for that rivalry, etc. and you get the same or much worse.

Still, sitting in the bleachers for those games isn't really a family-appropriate experience either.

I think most reasonable people expect that the bleachers are a PG-13 experience -- but we are talking about fights, verbal assaults, etc... not the random F-bomb when a player makes an error, or a pitcher walks in a run.

I took my son to a game, and some drunk guy spilled a beer on him -- he immediately apologized and offered to buy me and my boy a couple of beers -- the boy was probably 8 at the time so we declined -- but the guy apologized probably a dozen times throughout the rest of the game, and then bought my son some popcorn, and I think an ice cream, and really tried to make amends -- and I was totally cool with that. I understand, some people are going to drink more than they should, but if they at least stay civil -- no problems with me.

I just don't need to see fights, or even angry yelling at Cubs fans (or whoever). I have no expectations that the Cubs fans are going to behave -- inbreeding has probably eliminated that option -- I guess though I expect Brewer fans not to engage them, and I am disappointed when they do -- it takes two to tango, sticks and stones, etc...

I hate the fact that drinking seems to take away the ability of people to ignore a dumb comment. The entire game consists of one guy yelling "Cubs suck" and then a Cubs fan standing up and yelling "bleep you" or whatever. Its unfortunate because these teams play a lot of nailbiters and it would be nice to enjoy the game.

I love to have a few beers before the game and maybe a drink or two inside, but I think of the 400 or so games I've been to, only 1 time have I been to the point where I didn't even know what was really going on in the game. I regretted it.

"I had one trailer trash queen tell me once that it wasn't a family section so she could swear if she wanted.....then she fell down drunk."

Hilarious!

"An R-rated movie is advertised appropriately. The Brewers are advertised as family fun. Families have been attending MLB in Milwaukee for about 50 years."

Yes. Brewers-Cubs games are advertised as family fun, but we all know about the drunks, fights, and swearing. I'm not saying its right, but its reality.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

There is no way I'd bring my little ones to a cubs/brewers night game - we made the exception on Mothers day because it was a day game and with it being mother's day, we figured the crowd would be more mellow. The difference between the crowd on the sat night game and the sunday day game was........... well, night and day.

Generally speaking though, the day games always seem to be more of a family atmosphere while the night games get the rowdy crowds - it's just intensified in cubs/brewers games.

One incident that stood out to me was actually at the Monday Brewers/Pirates game a few weeks ago. I was in the left field bleachers. Of course there is that one single cubs fan wearing his Aramis jersey. The kid was in the 16-18 range, with 3 other young brewer fans with him. He clearly wore the jersey for attention. No one seemed to notice until the 4th inning. A "f*** the cubbies" chant got going. In the 5th ining, the kid picked up the name "Steve", since he resembled a younger version of Bartman. From that point, 5 minutes could not go by without a random brewer fan, sometimes from a section over, standing up and yelling a comment at the kid followed by a loud cheer form the crowd and a "f you, steve" or "f the cubs" chant. The comments yelled were not limited to the Cubs. Many of them personal (personal appearance, etc.) . One guy actually forced "Steve" to sit down every down he walked by to get a new beer. In the 8th, our usher who was in his early 20's, forced the cubs fan to leave for his safety. He was brought back about 5 minutes later by an older usher who gained soe control, then laid into "Steve" for provoking the crowd, which he was slightly. My roomate, who is a cardinals fan 1st, brewers distant 2nd, thought Steve was stupid for wearing his jersey. Part of me enjoyed it, but overall i was embarassed as a Brewer fan.

Yes. Brewers-Cubs games are advertised as family fun, but we all know about the drunks, fights, and swearing. I'm not saying its right, but its reality.
That's kind of what I was getting at. Ideally, you'd be able to go to a Cubs game without any problems persay, but it's going to happen anyway. The best way to avoid this kind of interaction is just not going. I'm sure most people would say that they have a right to go to every game with a perfect atmosphere and I agree, but it won't happen against the Cubs.

That's kind of what I was getting at. Ideally, you'd be able to go to a Cubs game without any problems persay, but it's going to happen anyway. The best way to avoid this kind of interaction is just not going. I'm sure most people would say that they have a right to go to every game with a perfect atmosphere and I agree, but it won't happen against the Cubs.
That seems more like an assumed reality to give fans a license to act like jerks and justify infringing on other fans, who also paid for a ticket, the right to watch a baseball game. Instead of accepting the preconceived notions established by previous Cubs/Brewers games and allowing them to fester into the 'visible altercations' and swearing contests the latest series have produced, treat your fellow fan with some respect and don't respond to the Cub fan who just belittled you or your team. Be a part of the solution instead being a part of the problem.

The continual discussion of "rights" is off the mark from the start, there are no "rights" involved here.

People are going to do what they are going to do, and they will suffer the consequences for it or reap the rewards. If you're obnoxious, immature, and a drunken buffoon you're probably going to get what you have coming. If you're looking for a family outing then stick to the family section or deal with the consequences of buying tickets elsewhere.

The simple truth is that in most cases no one cares about the people around them, they are all about themselves and what they believe they are entitled to. There's no game etiquette anymore because in general people just don't give a damn about anyone else, it's about "me". It doesn't matter what the situation is in the game, someone in the section is getting out of their seat while there is action on the field because they have to go to the bathroom, or need a beer, or are hungry and it can't possibly wait until the half inning is over. It doesn't matter if it's Cub fan or Brewer fan, there's enough inconsiderate and deplorable behavior to go around. In fact I've seen worse out of Brewer fans than I have out of Cub fans. I've only been to 3 Cub games, and they weren't exactly great experiences as the Brewers have lost all 3, but the experience had more to my general distaste for all things Cubbie blue than the Cub fans around us. In fact, the couple next to us for last year's season ticket package were Cub fans but prefer watching MLB baseball at Miller Park for a variety of reasons. They were good people, and only wore their Cubs gear for the 1 game when the Cubs were in town.

The Cubs certainly didn't corner market on drunk, loudmouth, stupid, and inconsiderate fans... there's plenty of evidence to the contrary. The best experiences I've had at MP have been on the club level, people up there just behave better... in the general seating bowl, there's has always been a group that was loud, obnoxious, foul, and whom everyone else just wished would go away. It's the reality of a ballpark trip in this day and age, I've yet to attend a game where it wasn't the case.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

That seems more like an assumed reality to give fans a license to act like jerks and justify infringing on other fans, who also paid for a ticket, the right to watch a baseball game. Instead of accepting the preconceived notions established by previous Cubs/Brewers games and allowing them to fester into the 'visible altercations' and swearing contests the latest series have produced, treat your fellow fan with some respect and don't respond to the Cub fan who just belittled you or your team. Be a part of the solution instead being a part of the problem.

I agree, but there's way too many people that get into arguments and it isn't something that can be stopped overnight. Realistically, though, why let some other fan belittle your team and not respond? Having a few people change their mentality isn't going to change the atmosphere unfortunately.

Realistically, though, why let some other fan belittle your team and not respond?

Because if the choice is between being an idiot that starts a fight, & not being an idiot that starts a fight, I go with the latter every time.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Realistically, though, why let some other fan belittle your team and not respond?

I think the better question here is why respond? Is it really that important? Most of the time, that's what they are hoping for. The minute you respond, you let them know that they are bothering you, and in essense, they have "won". Kind of reminds me of this:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33426

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Because if the choice is between being an idiot that starts a fight, & not being an idiot that starts a fight, I go with the latter every time.

And you should take that verbal "abuse" in your home ballpark because?

I'm not saying we should start fights, but every discussion doesn't have to end in a fight does it?

Also, if someone says something early in the game and you get into an argument maybe that person will shutup and allow everyone to enjoy the game. Probably wishful thinking.

You're not describing "discussions" -- you're describing "verbal abuse" & 'not taking it offa no one'

I dunno... maybe because I feel like I'm past the part of my life when I feel like I need to get up in someone's face for being a dipwad. If anything, doing so makes me feel like an even bigger idiot... like what Patrick was talking about.

As they say, it takes two to tango - Whether your the one who initiates or the one who responds, your just as guilty and if your arguing with drunk cubs fans, then your no better.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the cubs and they have a large number of +@%%%@* fans - but I'd much rather watch the ballgame than sit there and argue with some guy that doesn't know when to stop drinking.

I'm not saying we should start fights, but every discussion doesn't have to end in a fight does it?
No, it shouldn't. But, generally the drunken stone heads (let's face it, for whatever reason, they found it necessary to blurt out some beer induced derogatory comment about the team you are rooting for in the first place) that you respond to don't have the capacity to carry on an intelligent, witty, good natured, back and forth regarding the merits and short comings of both teams involved. Misplaced pride usually gets involved and things tend to be taken personally and escalate from there. So, again, why even respond?

It's big boy time.

Pearls.... Swine... Cub Fans...

I feel like I'm past the part of my life when I feel like I need to get up in someone's face for being a dipwad.

Hmm..... I would like to in fact test this by proposing a few mathematical inequalities.

Chris Berman > Han Solo

ESPN > The Force

Joe Morgan > Yoda

Roomba > R2D2

Snuggies > Emperor Palpatine's Cloak

"... calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack."

"Yes, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice."

Archived