Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals TV announcer calls Brewers disrespectful

apirk
Maybe it's been clarified and I've missed it (if that's the case, I'm sorry), but have any of the Cardinals players or coaches actually complained about this? Or is it just their announcers and beat writers (and the fans who listen to/read them)?

During Saturday's broadcast, Uecker said that Ryan Franklin has complained to the media about it. I couldn't find a print version, but I'll defer to the Hall of Famer. Ueck said he thought the untucking was no big deal and suggested the Cardinals focus more on winning the game.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm no longer mad about it, now it's just extremely amusing. Seriously, I just can't stop laughing. "Do it on your championship parade."

Just ... Stop ... Talking.

http://www.stltoday.com/d...rdo-live/LD051509754/all

James Henderson: Why do the Brewers untuck their shirts after a game? It's arrogant and shows disrepect to the game of baseball and to the opposing team. This is a team that hasn't won anything and yet they act like a bunch of punk kids. I hope baseball bans this. Dont' you agree?

Jeff Gordon: They started this deal as a blue-collar sign of solidarity. And, yes, it can rub people the wrong way.

If they want to do it at their first World Championship parade, fine.

Maybe it's been clarified and I've missed it (if that's the case, I'm sorry), but have any of the Cardinals players or coaches actually complained about this? Or is it just their announcers and beat writers (and the fans who listen to/read them)? Media folk will get outraged over just about anything if it will get people to pay attention to them, and a lot of fans will buy into whatever they hear or see. I'm glad that the Brewers players and coaches seem to be staying out of it...remember a while back when the White Sox announcers actually got Phil Garner to challenge them to a fight because they complained about him throwing at hitters? That's something I don't care to see again.
No people have clearly missed that. The actual team hasn't said anything it is pretty much just Rick Horton and writers. I'd say the majority of fans don't care either, just ones who like arguing on the internet. I am not going to lie being around Cardinal fans all the time I will say most are great baseball fans.

No people have clearly missed that. The actual team hasn't said anything it is pretty much just Rick Horton and writers. I'd say the majority of fans don't care either, just ones who like arguing on the internet. I am not going to lie being around Cardinal fans all the time I will say most are great baseball fans.

The Brash Brewers article mentioned in Schlitz001's post (about post #96) has some quotes from both Franklin and Lohse about the situation that talk about it.

Lohse: "They are what they are. That's how they choose to present themselves and play the game. A lot of people don't like it. We're not the only ones."

Franklin: "Well, they've got a little flair about them that some people don't care for. But that's just the way they are. So yeah, I think it would be more fun to beat them than it would be the Padres or something, just because of what they do after they beat you."

Both appear to be talking about us untucking our jerseys and Franklin specifically mentions our winning ritual without specifically saying untuckem. Personally I think they just aren't happy with losing to the Brewers and are trying to claim superiority however they can.

Here we go with the cubs fans too:

In the IGT from today, I jokingly said that Braun was being a little cocky when he smiled after making that spectacular catch. This was meant to make fun of the Cardinals and Cubs fans that love to hate on Braun. Well, I just read this little bit from NSBB about Braun's catch today:

"The Braun catch was a nice catch, but you know what? Adam dunn, Chris Duncan, and other mediocre left fielders have made diving catches also. But unlike those guys, they lacked the showboating after it."

Now that is rich. Braun made a spectacular diving play and afterwards all he did was roll over, smile, get up, and run to the dugout. But apparently that is showboating. I think this stuff is great. Just shows how idiotic some fans can be.

I have a feeling that this is going to continue building momentum, our media guys on TV and radio are now calling out their counterparts, opposing players are making comments, for what I feel is a non story this just continues to build steam.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

In the IGT from today, I jokingly said that Braun was being a little cocky when he smiled after making that spectacular catch. This was meant to make fun of the Cardinals and Cubs fans that love to hate on Braun. Well, I just read this little bit from NSBB about Braun's catch today:

"The Braun catch was a nice catch, but you know what? Adam dunn, Chris Duncan, and other mediocre left fielders have made diving catches also. But unlike those guys, they lacked the showboating after it."

Now that is rich. Braun made a spectacular diving play and afterwards all he did was roll over, smile, get up, and run to the dugout. But apparently that is showboating. I think this stuff is great. Just shows how idiotic some fans can be.

Yep, at this point it is embarrassing how much of a hard-on other teams have for Braun. They are making up slights at every chance.

Yep, at this point it is embarrassing how much of a hard-on other teams have for Braun. They are making up slights at every chance.
That stuff's all fine...just have to hope opposing players (pitchers) know better. I suspect they do, but all it takes is one moron to throw at him again, and hit him in the hand, wrist or whatever and the Brewer season is thrown completely off the tracks.

I have no idea why the Cardinals are so upset with us. I thought we were very gracious guests. We did sweep over the weekend while we were visiting them.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I guess any press is good press. Personally with watching winning baseball I have no problem whatsoever with the Brewers being labeled as baseball's "bad boys." It just makes victories and sweeps so much better to watch.

I love the fact that not only did we sweep the Cards , we wrecked their bullpen for the Cubs series.This team is going to fade fast I think
I was thinking the same thing. Man, do I love NL baseball.

I STILL don't understand what these "antics" are that people talk about when it comes to Braun. I'll admit that since I don't live in Wisconsin anymore, I haven't actually watched most of the games since he's been in the bigs (I have watched almost all of them this season, thanks to MLB.tv), but I read about every game and watch all the highlights.

I can think of three times he did some showboating: the infamous walk and stare into the Brewers dugout against Houston, last year when he admired a big homer at St. Louis, and this year when he walked for a couple steps and then stuck out his tongue rounding first against the Cubs (it was the Cubs, right?).

The Houston one was pretty bad, but it wasn't even directed towards the other team (he seemed to be goofing with Prince or something) and he apologized for it. The St. Louis one, meh - not real cool, but if someone is going to admire a blast, a late-inning shot is a time to do it. And then the Cubs blast, he had been beaned in his previous AB, took a couple slow steps and then went into his HR trot. The tongue thing was nothing - he was obviously celebrating with his excited, home crowd. He was happy. Sue him.

I'm a stickler for sportsmanship, but if a guy watches a homer once in a while, whatever. I've actually kept an eye on Braun's homer "antics" since the Houston incident and he almost always just puts his head down and starts making his way around the bases. I wouldn't call admiring a homer once a year a sign of a jerk or a cocky player.

And oh, no! He smiled and had one second of enjoyment after his diving catch! Oh, no!

I'm a stickler for sportsmanship, but if a guy watches a homer once in a while, whatever. I've actually kept an eye on Braun's homer "antics" since the Houston incident and he almost always just puts his head down and starts making his way around the bases. I wouldn't call admiring a homer once a year a sign of a jerk or a cocky player.

And oh, no! He smiled and had one second of enjoyment after his diving catch! Oh, no!

I completely agree with dlk here. I am a big stickler for sportsmanship. I do not like anything which is above and beyond simple excitement of the play. That is what most of the Braun stuff seems like. Staring at a home-run is done by so many people, heck they should really dislike Bill Hall who also stares down doubles. And the untuckem thing is the most rediculous thing to complain about. It is a complete non-issue. It is not show-boating, so outside of being annoyed by the fact that the Brewers keep beating them, I can think of no reason to be mad at it. Honestly, for someone who is probably overly sensitive to bad sportsmanship I could care less if another team untucked their jerseys after a win.

I also agree with the talk about the Braun hate being over the top and odd, especially from the Cubs fans. He smiled after a catch, I have seen Zambrano do countless things that would be classified as worse sportsmanship than that. But you know what, I can still admit in his prime Zambrano was a great pitcher, they cannot admit Braun is really good.

I think that the roll and pose last night was a little bit showboaty, but I enjoy that kind of thing. I hope he keeps doing it and I hope other teams keep getting upset about it. It would be nice to be the team everybody hates instead of being the fanbase known for impotently hating the Cubs.

I have no idea why the Cardinals are so upset with us. I thought we were very gracious guests. We did sweep over the weekend while we were visiting them.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Maybe next time Braun should try skipping, instead of making a snow angel. Cub fans should surely find that acceptable.

I'm not a fan of Braun. As a player or his antics, I can take or leave him. His celebrations smack of immaturity in my book, but I realize I'm old school and definitely represent the minority.

While I agree that Braun can be a bit brash, and there are definitely times where I'd like him to tone it down, what do you have against him as a baseball player? I personally enjoy his line of .303/.360/.586/.946 and players like him don't exactly grow on trees (as his OPS would be 9th among active players according to b-r.com if he were listed).

Please don't get me wrong. I know he's an awesome player. And I know that he's improving (I used to hate his lack of discipline at the plate). I just don't like his brand of enthusiasm. I won't apologize for that, but I also realize he doesn't have to apologize for his enthusiasm either. I just don't like it. I didn't think he had to lay out after that great catch. In my book he was hot dogging it. That others think I'm nit-picking I'm okay with because it's a legit counterpoint. I do root Braun and I really enjoy the strides he's making. But I'm from the act-like-you've-been-there-before camp. That's all really.

I think that the roll and pose last night was a little bit showboaty, but I enjoy that kind of thing.
I keep going back and forth on this, but if you look closely, the first thing he looks at after the catch was one of his teammates (looked like an IF to me) and he smiled. If I had to guess what was going through Braun's head, it would be:

Man, that was fun as hell, I have always wanted to make a play like that my entire life!

I would have to think that every player dreams about making a play like that. When it happens the first time, it's ok to act like you haven't been there before. In reality though, he is just playing with great passion and love for the game.

If he would have looked right at the hitter and stuck his tongue out or if he fake mooned the fans at Busch after his catch, people would have more of a reason to be upset.

Even Dave Winfield last night made a shady comment about Braun. The highlight of his second catch was playing and all Winfield could say was, 'He didn't have to slide for that...'. You could tell that he thought Braun did it just to make himself look great or something. To me, it looked like he flew out of nowhere to make the play, so I don't know what he is talking about.

This stuff doesn't even make me mad anymore. It's not worth it. Hate is always directed towards the first place team. The real problem is when the media starts directing hate at us. People believe everything they hear on BBTN and SC as gospel but it usually regurgitated information from beat writers and fan blogs. About as reliable as the lazy step father on the couch.

I don't get how rolling over and smiling was "showboaty." He was happy he made a great catch, something he is not known to do. He knows it, his teammates know it, and he smiled and savored it for what, one second? Hell, maybe he was winded from the run and dive and was taking a second to collect himself and rather than lay face down, he rolled over and smiled.

This all reminds me of when I played baseball in high school. I was the only person who smiled in our team picture. I asked a teammate why nobody else smiled and he said, "It shows we are serious about the game." Um, sorry, but I took the game seriously, but you know what? I still wanted to have fun. Smiling and having fun doesn't show a lack of seriousness or disrespect.

All of this talk is mindboggling to me.

This is unvelievable how worked up people get over him. It's a childs game, enjoy it. Everyone gets pissed when the opposing team hits a jack in a crucial moment or makes a huge catch, but you know what, you're pissed because it really screwed your team. ANY of these fans complaining about Braun would be high fiving up a storm if it was Soriano, Pujols, etc.

Sidenote to that Cubs fan. Do we have proof of a Dunn diving catch? Not buyin it, especially one like Braun's last night. Cubs fans are overboard about how bad Braun is in the field because it makes them feel better about not having a hitter like him.

Archived