Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals TV announcer calls Brewers disrespectful

apirk
If we sweep tomorrow I say BA, Rock, Ueck and Cory all untuckem. That would be funny. Of course no one could see Ueck and Cory but still.
For the radio crew, I'd just settle for an "Untuck 'em, everybody!" following the final out. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I have to say that all the whining about the Brewers' practices have made the past couple games even sweeter than they would've been. Following that fateful nightmare of a 4-game weekend series a couple seasons ago, I'm thrilled with every win in St. Louis.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
You know, as ridiculous as it is for them to get upset over something like that, it is a good thing. It's creating a rivalry between the fans. Cardinals fans used to not give a darn about us because the Brewers were always in the cellar. Now that the Brewers are good even something as harmless as untucking shirts after a win gets to them.

La Russa rermained silent while steroids flooded his clubhouses, assailing some of the most sacred records of the game. He's either a genius, so knew what was going on, or a fraud, but in either case, what he did - and didn't do - did more to hurt the game than a bunch of 20- and 30-somethings having a lark with their shirttails.

In any case, once their managers can successfully say the alphabet backward and keep cisterns of performance-enhancing drugs out of their clubhouse, I will submit to the sanctimony of the odious "Birdos."

Maybe it's been clarified and I've missed it (if that's the case, I'm sorry), but have any of the Cardinals players or coaches actually complained about this? Or is it just their announcers and beat writers (and the fans who listen to/read them)? Media folk will get outraged over just about anything if it will get people to pay attention to them, and a lot of fans will buy into whatever they hear or see. I'm glad that the Brewers players and coaches seem to be staying out of it...remember a while back when the White Sox announcers actually got Phil Garner to challenge them to a fight because they complained about him throwing at hitters? That's something I don't care to see again.

When it comes to any of these issues of other fans complaining about something the Brewers do as a team or certain players do, i try and keep it to one simple standard. What would those same fans do/say if things were reversed and their team or player did the same thing?

I have no doubt that the same complaining Cardinal/Cubs fans would love Braun if he played for them and love the bravado he plays with along with defending the untucking of the shirts after a win. So given that, i let out a big yawn when they complain about these things with the Brewers.

I wonder fi these same fans would feel as strongly about how disrespectful the team is if they untucked after winning one of three. If the fans didn't complain after winning the series then I'd have to assume they are just poor losers. I guess someday we might lose a series against the Cards then we can find out.

Really I think all the Cards disrespect thing is way more about being poor losers than us being poor winners. It's all fine and good to be great fans when your team is winning but if they can't be gracious losers then they aren't all that great of baseball fans.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Boy, it's hard to get used to how things have changed from just a few years back. I remember someone on here posted some MLB comic strips from somewhere like Japan or Korea, where the Cardinals were like the literal "bullies on the block" and the Brewers players would hide in the corner when they walked by. Now it seems as though the situation has reversed.

I guess I don't want to get too amped about this since the fates in baseball can reverse so easily. Right now it is nice to just see the Brewers winning against division rivals on a regular basis.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

HAHAHAHA! "I think his untucked shirt was very disrespectful to the arresting officers. I really think they'd have let him go if not for that."

Almost made me pee a little.

Thanks, I am glad at least some one appreciated the more significant point I had made there. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm not a fan of Braun. As a player or his antics, I can take or leave him. His celebrations smack of immaturity in my book, but I realize I'm old school and definitely represent the minority. One of the reasons I can't take the NBA and the NFL is all the ridiculous posturing, and I hope baseball doesn't go down that path, but alas, I fear it will.

But...and it's a big but. The whole untucking the shirt thing is ridiculous. Mike Cameron is one of the most upright guys in any major sport. And if this is a tribute to his father, which I believe it is, then lay off St. Louis. The game is over, most fans have already turned around to go out, the other team is exiting, it's not directed toward anyone. Geez St. Louis get a life.

I saw a commercial on for the MLB Network yesterday that featured Pujols staring down a home run and walking slowly out of the box. I'll have to assume it was computer generated.

Nicely done....

And the pic of him in Houston hitting the homer in the 9th of Lidge shows just how classy a guy King Albert is.

I'm not a fan of Braun. As a player or his antics, I can take or leave him. His celebrations smack of immaturity in my book, but I realize I'm old school and definitely represent the minority.

While I agree that Braun can be a bit brash, and there are definitely times where I'd like him to tone it down, what do you have against him as a baseball player? I personally enjoy his line of .303/.360/.586/.946 and players like him don't exactly grow on trees (as his OPS would be 9th among active players according to b-r.com if he were listed).

With all the antics that NFL players get away with I guess I don't get why those same antics in baseball are viewed as disrespectful.

I mean if Gilbert Brown could dig the QB's grave after a sack, I think Braun should be able to strut a little bit.

I think it is actually against NBA rules for a player not to scream after a dunk.

In soccer there is Brandi Chastain.

So when one celebrates in baseball why is it viewed so negatively?

EVERY team has a player that someone's going to gripe about because they do something that's viewed as showboating... It's just that when one team's on the losing end of things, they're (and their fans are) going to start pointing fingers to distract themselves and other people from the fact that they are sucking.

It's just that when one team's on the losing end of things, they're (and their fans are) going to start pointing fingers to distract themselves and other people from the fact that they are sucking.

while true the Cards fans can't both wrap themselves in a best, most knowledgeable fans, cloak but act like every other fan of every other team. They are either no more of an authority on what baseball should be played like thus they can be angry at other teams antics simply to distract themselves. Or they can be what they think they are. Some kind of superior fans and acknowledge their frustration isn't because of what other teams do and accept their frustration is due to their team.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The Cards should not throw stones when living in glass houses. Card fans and players should not be allowed to say anything negative about any other team's rituals until LaRussa and Pujols can blasted for their antics first and foremost. What was the deal with LaRussa forcing Prince to walk back and forth between the batter's box and on-deck circle when it was clear LaRussa was making a pitching change? Talk about being an a**

Having said that, wins against the Cards now are just a little bit more fun and enjoyable and I assume the Brewer players are enjoying it a little bit more too then usual that they can get under the Cards skin. I love it.

I just think that it's silly that the Brewers OWN FANS can somehow find fault with Ryan Braun. For about ten years this team was dying to have an impact superstar player of his caliber on this team...now that they have one, people complain because he occasionally watches his home runs for a split second or two before leaving the batter's box, or says something truthful but very slightly vaguely controversial in the media (even though it's seemingly worked to help motivate his team on more than one occasion). I think I've even seen a couple people complain that he "just looks cocky." Should just have a cold dead serious stare on his face 24/7?

I just don't get it.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Maybe it's been clarified and I've missed it (if that's the case, I'm sorry), but have any of the Cardinals players or coaches actually complained about this? Or is it just their announcers and beat writers (and the fans who listen to/read them)?
I believe it was mainly one of the St. Louis writers (and the TV guys) but I recall a couple of the players commenting last year that they wouldn't do something like that. The Pirates announcers were also complaining about it a few weeks ago. One of them was kind of snickering at the claim that it was Mike Cameron's tribute to his dad - as if the Brewers were making that up.

How insane is that? Why in all of God's green goodness would a team make up a fake story about the reason they untuck their shirts after games. So that they could secretly taunt the other team without their knowledge? Seriously? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Archived