Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals TV announcer calls Brewers disrespectful

apirk

I would say flamboyant fits. It means colorful or bold. Check out this definition.

1. strikingly bold or brilliant; showy: flamboyant colors.

2. conspicuously dashing and colorful: the flamboyant idol of international society.

3. florid; ornate; elaborately styled: flamboyant speeches.

4. Architecture. a. having the form of an ogee, as a bar of tracery.

b. noting or pertaining to French Gothic architecture of the late 15th and early and middle 16th centuries, characterized by the use of flamboyant tracery, intricacy of detailing, virtuosity of workmanship, attenuation of parts, and frequent complication of interior space.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe the "untuck'em" ritual was something Cameron started doing to honor his father innocently enough, but it morphed into something that has little/nothing to do with paying respect. I don't want to play devil's advocate, but I would think anyone on the Brewers interviewed about the "untuck'em" post-game routine would directly link it to honoring Cameron's dad, and at the very least not mention how it shows their "swagger".

All I'm saying is maybe Cameron does it to honor his father, but the rest of the guys on the team that do it have their intentions in a different place after taking so much crap for it.

Does anyone know whether Cameron did this with any of the other teams he played for prior to coming to Milwaukee? If not, then the pessimist in me can start seeing how this whole background story may be the excuse and not the reason the team "untucks em"...I hope that's completely wrong, because I think it's a cool tribute if done for the right reasons.

I'm sure it's morphed from it's original intention now, it's a bonding thing for the team, in my opinion. But it does seem to have started innocently enough. I just did a quick image search and found this picture of Cameron with his jersey untucked with the Mets, but the more interesting thing, is that Reyes and others are doing it with him.

http://www.post-gazette.com/images3/20050801WP_bbncameron_450.jpg

Edit: You know, I guess that's what surprises me the most about the whole thing. From all accounts, Cameron is one of the good guys in the game, a genuinely classy individual. And if he's the root, how do so many teams think it's meant to be a disrespectful action to them? Does that mesh with Cameron's character?

Granted, it's questionable as to how well people know that story, but you'd have to think the story at least spreads through other players?

well, there you go - I have zero problems with it.

honestly, if this sort of thing actually offends other teams, they are mental midgets. I think the Cardinals extreme displeasure with it has much more to do with the fact that they went 5-10 against the Crew last season, after posting winning season records against the Brewers the previous 8 years.

Apparently losing classy isn't something Cardinal nation needs to do in order to keep the title of "Baseball's Classiest Franchise"...they must also not have to worry about having a manager who was as big a part of the Steroid Era as anyone or need to post local taxi numbers in their clubhouse to keep from driving hammered.

that pic of Cam on the Mets should get emailed to STL and that announcer should be asked why he didn't bring this up back then.

All I'm saying is maybe Cameron does it to honor his father, but the rest of the guys on the team that do it have their intentions in a different place after taking so much crap for it.
It doesn't matter where the other guys are coming from (and I think you're being pretty presumptuous that they're doing it to consciously show boat the other team). They're not going to the middle of the field and stomping on a jersey from the other team or pulling their mascot on the field and beating it up. I don't see the difference between this and shaking each other's hands after the game. They do it, they go to the middle of the field and celebrate as a team. Even the NFL gives guys a pass if it's a group celebration.

Even if this had nothing to do with Cameron's dad I don't see what the big deal is. You are celebrating a victory.

Why does the whole team have to come out of the dugout to shake hands and high five? That's just as "disrespectful".

Maybe they shouldn't smile after a win either. That may upset Albert.

I honestly don't care if Rickie said we have "swagger." If teams get pissed at us for uniform decision, so what? What are they gonna do? Whine about it in interviews? Throw inside and give our guys free men on base?

If our guys start throwing bats, cussing out umpires, and making childish and vindictive statements to the press like our Redbelt Redbird friends and fans have been doing (and to be fair, like Braun did in the Pirates series), then I'll start getting upset about the "swagger." But no, they're just untucking their shirts. Seriously, they are untucking their shirts. What is the big deal?

I think Bill Schroeder of all people said it best last year during a Brewers game. It was something along the lines of: "When did the Cardinals become the guardians of baseball tradition? They're throwing their helmets around and breaking bats, and complaining about untucked shirts?"
It's hilarious that the Cardinals of all teams think they have some sort of moral high ground. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Yadir Molina started undressing at home plate after getting thrown out of a game last year at Miller Park. On top of that, add in some La Russa's antics and the Cardinals are far from perfect.

Irish Brewer wrote:

It's hilarious that the Cardinals of all teams think they have some sort of moral high ground. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Yadir Molina started undressing at home plate after getting thrown out of a game last year at Miller Park. On top of that, add in some La Russa's antics and the Cardinals are far from perfect.

Oh man, I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder. I will have that one chambered if I hear too much about the untuckem thing at the game tonight.

Am I the only one that feels like karma is starting to align against us? I sure hope not because I'm not ready for another cold stretch from this team yet.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I don't mind Hall watching his homeruns. I mind Hall watching his flyballs that end up plunking off the wall or just shy of getting out. There's really no excuse for that, and he's done it time and time again. If you can't tell if the ball is going out, you had better take off hard out of the box.

Here, here adambr2. The problem is that Hall almost never takes off hard out of the box. Check out the # of triples he's hit since he got his big contract. Slower runners like Fielder or Hardy at least maximize their production. Hall's had a grand total of 1 triple in 3 years. At least Robin Yount isn't on the bench anymore to watch it.

Am I the only one that feels like karma is starting to align against us? I sure hope not because I'm not ready for another cold stretch from this team yet.
Do you mean law of averages or maybe variance?

I never understood the big deal - to me it was just Cardinals fans peeved about the sweep in their house last year and they were looking for something to nit-pick about.

The crew wins 1 of 3 in that series - and they untuck in that 1 - I don't think we'd ever have heard about it.

Just wondering - I know fans and commentators have, but have any opposing teams complained about it? I don't remember any, but did anyone complain prior to that series in St. Louis last year?

The Cardinals and their fans think they are special.. That is what I have gathered.

What they are is too cheap to shell out for a roof. Real baseball fans would have done whatever it took to ensure that the game would alway go on. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Archived