Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals TV announcer calls Brewers disrespectful

apirk

"That was the Cubs. Just another reason why I wouldn't have cared if Braun walked all the way around the bases yesterday."

Shoot, if I was Braun, I would have stood at home plate, 'till the ball landed in the stands.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand why people have issues with Braun and I think Hawing absolutely nailed how I view him, but I'm pretty old school in my love of the game and I have no idea why the untuckem thing is such a big deal?

Maybe it was just the group of guys I played with all through Little League, Babe Ruth, and up through the end of High School but the second the game was over we always untucked and unbuttoned, especially in mid summer when the humidity was horrible. I guess we were slobs, and I don't recall the other teams ever doing it themselves, complaining about it, or their fans ever saying anything about it. I was fortunate to play with great athletes and we won nearly every game, so we were cocky, but I think people understood that we just trying to get comfortable after a long afternoon in the sun.

The analogy with Cameron made perfect sense to me personally being a farm kid, and I like that this young group of guys has latched on to something to call their own. Is the Lambeau Leap disrespectful to the game of football? That started with one man's jubilant celebration and has become iconic within the sport. I'm sure Viking fans are bitter when we score on them knowing that the Lambeau Leap is coming, so I can see how our division opponents in baseball would hate losing knowing the untuckem is coming. I just don't understand how untuckem is the baseball equivalent of TO doing his thing on the Dallas Star at midfield? One is more of a team bonding ritual, the latter is actually showing up an opponent. To me there is a vast gulf between the 2.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The complainers in StL are probably just upset that they no longer have an easy path to the playoffs like they did up until a year or two ago.

I don't know about you, but when the Brewers lose, I either turn the TV off or am walking out of the stadium. I don't stick around to see how the other team celebrates, so other teams could do that and I wouldn't care at all.

Funny, read the Cubs board. Many just hate Braun, call him a showboat, disrespects the game etc.

Yes, he has watched a few homers, but for the most part, they were big moments.

How can the Cub fans get their undies in a bunch when for years, they all hyper ventilated over the Sammy Sosa "hop."

Yeah, I love how some other teams' fans are now whining 'cause Braun was supposedly hanging his tongue out after hitting that homer last night. I don't recall Michael Jordan getting ridiculed too much for his tongue waggling back in the day.

Coincidently, I believe Jordan's tongue thing also a tribute to his dad.

Funny, read the Cubs board. Many just hate Braun, call him a showboat, disrespects the game etc.

Yes, he has watched a few homers, but for the most part, they were big moments.

How can the Cub fans get their undies in a bunch when for years, they all hyper ventilated over the Sammy Sosa "hop."

Because most fans are simply hypocrites

If Braun was on their team, nearly all the fans who talk crap about him now, would instead love him and be mocking those that rip on him.

Yeah, I love how some other teams' fans are now whining 'cause Braun was supposedly hanging his tongue out after hitting that homer last night. I don't recall Michael Jordan getting ridiculed too much for his tongue waggling back in the day.

Coincidently, I believe Jordan's tongue thing also a tribute to his dad.

hilarious...

I thought you were making that up about the Jordan tongue, til I looked it up for myself. I always thought it was one of those semi-involuntary things that some people do when they are concentrating.

Because most fans are simply hypocrites

If Braun was on their team, nearly all the fans who talk crap about him now, would instead love him and be mocking those that rip on him.

Bingo. Cub fans have A-Ram, and Zambrano as far as having a great player who could take some class lessons, but you never hear them rip on those guys. The Cardinals have Pujols, and so on and so forth.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Verified Member
You know, there seems to be a lot of talk recently about players "showing disrespect to the other team" with Aubrey Huff mocking Joba Chamberlain's fist pump, and Casey Blake mocking Brian Wilson's crossing his arms. I'm getting tired of it- why can't players, announcers or whoever just ignore it instead of the attitude that everything is a "show of disrespect to them or their team and there needs to be retribution."

Community Moderator

I'm getting tired of it- why can't players, announcers or whoever just ignore it instead of the attitude that everything is a "show of disrespect to them or their team and there needs to be retribution."

Couldn't agree more- to take a line from Jim Powell last year, when exactly did the Cardinals (or whomever) become the guardians of baseball etiquette?

The other funny thing about Cub fans is they seem to think Braun is a horrible fielder when he is right about average, if you wanted to list the worst fielders in LF Braun wouldn't even make the top 5 list and very well may beat out Soriano depending on how much his arm offsets his terrible fielding in any given year, which they seem to be in denial about.

Cross-posted from the IGT: I don't know how anyone can find it disrespectful given the backstory and that the game is already over (I mean, are the handshakes disrespectful?), but we know how hypocritical they are in St. Louis and how thin their skins are.

As far as Braun (and Hall) watching their homers, I can't say I'm a fan of that whatsoever, but again, they only seem to do it in dramatic crucial situations (I know, I know...) and primarily: it's not like they're the only studs in even just the NL Central to do it.

I don't mind Hall watching his homeruns. I mind Hall watching his flyballs that end up plunking off the wall or just shy of getting out. There's really no excuse for that, and he's done it time and time again. If you can't tell if the ball is going out, you had better take off hard out of the box.

Man, Rickie Weeks just blew an interview on MLB Network. Barry Larkin asked him what untucking the shirts means and he said it represented their "swagger." He went on to sort of explain it, saying Cameron started it and that it is to relax after a hard days work. He never mentioned the key thing, that it was to honor Cameron's dad.

Oh, well. He did a good job in the rest of the interview!

Hahaha... that's exactly what I was thinking, pretendastronaut. Rickie, uh, needs to, uh, think about the kinds of, uh, answers he gives in uh, interviews. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The other funny thing about Cub fans is they seem to think Braun is a horrible fielder when he is right about average, if you wanted to list the worst fielders in LF Braun wouldn't even make the top 5 list and very well may beat out Soriano depending on how much his arm offsets his terrible fielding in any given year, which they seem to be in denial about.
I watched the Cubs a couple times recently and Soriano is a butcher in the field. Yes he has a nice arm but the routes he takes to balls are awful. Braun does not always take great routes that is for sure but he looks better out there than Soriano does.

Here is an article on MLB.com from Cardinal's beat writer Matthew Leach calling the Brewers "flamboyant". It's complete with a Ryan Franklin quote saying, "They've got a little flair about them that some people don't care for." The article is innocent enough, I just don't understand how everyone in Cardinals nation is suddenly up in arms about the Brewers. Are the Brewers officially the villain?

flamboyant
Main Entry:
1flam·boy·ant http://www.merriam-webster.com/images/audio.gif
Pronunciation:
\-?nt\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
French, from present participle of flamboyer to flame, from Old French, from flambe
Date:
1often capitalized : characterized by waving curves suggesting flames <flamboyant tracery> <flamboyant architecture>

2: marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

The Brewers had to expect this when they all changed their at bat music to songs from the soundtrack to "Rent" and "Legally Blonde - the Musical."

Flamboyant? What a weird choice of words.

Archived