Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals TV announcer calls Brewers disrespectful

apirk

They have to come up with fake reasons why they are superior to us even if their team isn't as good. This way they can preach to us about how they once won a lot of games too. How they were so much better at winning once upon a time that they can now share their knowledge of years gone by with the new kids on the block so we to can be as classy as they once were. OF course these classy people will someday be begging the Cards to offer Braun more money than the God could hope to afford so they can watch him disrespect other teams while they cheer him on.

All this means is other teams are getting frustrated with us. Teams rarely get frustrated with doormats. They just walk all over them and not even take notice. They only get frustrated when they go home with more losses than wins in a series.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All you hear from the national media when they discuss Cardinal fans is what great fans they are and how knowledgeable about the game they are. This may or may not be true. I don't now enough about Card fans to say one way or the other. However, it is clear to me that they also possess a complacency about their team and themselves which is in a class with Yankee fans and the Red Sox Nation.

I guess I don't recall the exact game this year...but I do believe there was a team that beat the Brewers and the OFs untucked their shirts and did the 'OF jump' when they won. I don't think it's only the Cardinals that think it's bad. I just think teams don't know why the Brewers do it.

If you don't like it, how about you win the game?

If it's honestly that big of a problem with the players (which I don't think it is at all, this is more of a fan-crotchety "baseball lifer" sort of issue), why hasn't there been an after game altercation anywhere? I think players between teams are close enough that they all know why teams/players do things similar to what the Brewers do (how about KRod's homage to the heavens after every save?). Players will show emotion, and I think 90% of the time those actions aren't directed toward the other team at all. Fans with 15 beers in them and announcers who cater to their audience don't have a problem with making a story out of nothing, though.

I for one wish the Brewers' brass would issue a press release directly to that clown in the Cardinal booth telling him why the "untuck'em" ritual exists - That clown has probably been informally told about the reasoning behind it plenty of times already, but he's probably beyond the point of actually explaining it on-air because he's been so vocal complaining about it.

I'd almost be offended by that statement by there announcers if St Louis wasn't one of the worst cities in the country. It has literally nothing fun to do,unless you consider staring at something the Romans perfected 2000 years ago fun.
I used to have to go to St. Louis for work pretty often, and I think it's a terrific city. Some nice old walkable neighborhoods with great places to eat and drink and shop (Central West End, Soulard, U-City on the edge of town), a large beautiful city park, decent waterfront.

The self-righteousness of the Cards about this can stop whenever though. But it won't, because fans love to get worked up about this kind of stuff, the same way we're getting worked up about it.

If you don't like it, how about you win the game?

My only question is...would Brewers fans be complaining about this a few years back? I don't feel the need to make comments like this because it sounds a tad cocky IMO. I would just suggest those knocking on it do their homework. It's not meant to show anyone up and again I believe teams have done this against us on the 'road' feeds I usually have to watch.

"I guess I don't recall the exact game this year...but I do believe there was a team that beat the Brewers and the OFs untucked their shirts and did the 'OF jump' when they won."

I'm pretty sure that was the ScRubs.

I guess I don't recall the exact game this year...but I do believe there was a team that beat the Brewers and the OFs untucked their shirts and did the 'OF jump' when they won. I don't think it's only the Cardinals that think it's bad. I just think teams don't know why the Brewers do it.

That was the Cubs. Just another reason why I wouldn't have cared if Braun walked all the way around the bases yesterday.

I second the sentiment that all this Brewer hatred is because, like it or not Cubs/Cards/Pirates fans, the Brewers are good. I'm all for having respect for the game, but I love this. Keep talking trash to us, telling us we're disrespectful punks while Pujols and Soriano stand in the box watching their HR's until they bounce 3 times in the stands. It'll only unite that clubhouse. We're no longer the punching bag of the NL Central, we're the new guys upsetting the status quo that you don't want to accept. Well we're here and we're not going away, deal with it..

I am not Shea Vucinich

They sure seem like a group of sanctimonious crybabies to me.
I lived in St. Louis for three years. I actually moved here a weekend before the Cards clinched the division against the Brewers. My wife and i attended that game in our Brewers gear and everyone was cool. By the end of the next season, my wife and I began to be verbally harassed by fans and last year I was at two of the four-game sweep and realized that many Cards fans were exactly as bucks2281 describe them. Now, I can't go anywhere in the city in Brewers gear (at least bars) without someone telling me how disrespectful the untuckem this is and how cocky Braun and Hall are. I usually ask about Puljos' slow waltz to first and TLR's antics. They're response: "They've earned the right."

It is old, and I'm sure that not only will the fans and their annoucers not let this go, the team won't either. I like Macha's measured, even-tempered attitude on the bench thus far. I hope he won't play into TLR's hands like in the Turnbow incident and tell the guys to play it cool (unlike the Villenueva-Puljos incident).

I'd love to see the Brewers continue their dominance over the Red Birds, but as much as their lineup sans Puljos seems like a bunch slap hitters and no names, this is a pretty good team. They are very good at getting on base and have assembled a team that is well-suited for their stadium (it suprises a lot of people to learn that Busch typically ranks in the bottom third of park factor). Even without Carpenter, their pitching has gotten the job done so far this year - admittadly against a soft, home dominated schedule, but still. Don't be suprised to see the Cards exact some revenge for last year.

Next weekend should definitley be a fun series to watch.

Did the Cubs actually do the untuck? I remember there being some upset in the IGT thread of that game about them doing the OF jump, but EVERY team does that (the Cubs do it all the time when they're not playing the Brewers besides) and I'm certain the Brewers didn't start it anyway.

I wish the untucking was disrespectful. Teams should break as many of the unwritten rules as possible as almost all of them are stupid and pointless. Baseball players need to grow up and stop looking for disrespect around every corner. Somehow players in other sports survive if the other team has a little fun.

I agree, this is professional baseball, not little league, it's paid for entertainment. In the NFL, NBA, and NHL, players celebrate big plays. Yet for whatever reason, some want to gasp and act offended if a hitter enjoys watching a dramatic home run or if a pitcher gets all excited after a big strikeout, it's ridiculous.

I actually enjoy seeing some players with flair in baseball. When say Manny hits his big homers, i liked the little posing and shrug he'd do, it cracked me up. I also have zero problem with the emotion that Zambrano shows on the mound after getting important strikeouts. If anyone doesn't like that the Brewers untuck their shirts after a win or if Braun poses a bit after a big home run, all i'd say is F them. There is no reason professional baseball needs to be devoid of personalities and fun just to abide by some silly socalled unwritten rules of behavior.

Verified Member
well since I started this I've never heard a Cardinals fan complain about this, I just hear Rick Horton continuesly complain about it. He also brings up Brandon Phillips because two years ago he admired one of his HRs a little too long. For the most part I think Cardinal fans are great. I go to a lot of Brewers games here and am decked out in jersey and all and have never really had any problems, minus a few guys who had too much liquid courage. Teams do all kind of things to celebrate but I am sure horton would complain no matter what because he is pretty much terrible at his job. For being such a great baseball town I never understood why the sports media down here is so terrible.

I think it'd be awesome if the fans started untucking as well after a win. 30,000+ doing it would be pretty cool. I personnally hate the 'W" flags, but I dont feel the need to bash them. They won the game and they can do as they please. To me, "Celebration" is a post-event, "Cocky" is a pre-event.

Ya, iI just got kicked off of this website!! http://www.thebuccosforum...BB.pl?num=1240958386/0#0

For defending the Crew, dont mess with our boys!

Yeah me too. For making posts that aren't baseball related. Considering just about every post they make is about how Braun is into guys I thought it was a weak reason to kick me off. I'm guessing they were just tired of hearing about 17 in a row.

Well having not ever contributed on that forum, you deserved to get banned for basically trolling. They are classless no doubt, but running over there and spouting off puts us on the same level as them.

Read for the comedy in their well thought out arguments... the same goes for NSSB. Even if your intention isn't to troll, it's hard not to when you're responding to that sort of idiocy. Take the high road...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Ya, iI just got kicked off of this website!! http://www.thebuccosforum...BB.pl?num=1240958386/0#0

For defending the Crew, dont mess with our boys!

Yeah me too. For making posts that aren't baseball related. Considering just about every post they make is about how Braun is into guys I thought it was a weak reason to kick me off. I'm guessing they were just tired of hearing about 17 in a row.

They started calling names, so I figured it was on like Donkey Kong, otherwise I didnt say anything that was that bad!!

Verified Member
I know it's shocking but on a non-baseball board with a sports forum, a Cub fan actually called something Braun did "classy," and he was serious. When A-Ram got hurt, Braun could have easily taken second with Ramirez writhing in pain, but he didn't.

Man, if they drill Braun tonight, poop is gonna hit the fan
OK, Braun DID get plunked by Dempster.

Time to send Soriano a little chin music tomorrow. Stick up for Ryan, and let Pinella know he gets no more freebies.

Stick up for Ryan, and let Pinella know he gets no more freebies.

If Braun hits a HR everytime after he gets hit... I think people will stop throwing at him. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived