Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals TV announcer calls Brewers disrespectful

apirk
  • Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't put my finger on it, but there's something that "feels" at least a little bit disrespectful about the practice. Don't know what it is, it just has a slightly obnoxious flavor to it. I think if it were the Cubs doing it, I'd hate it. Like, "we're done with you losers, time to get undressed as fast as possible".
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I can understand how some people think it is disrespectful. I don't agree with them at all. Unless they are willing to call one of the most upright guys in baseball a liar (Cameron) publicly I think they should shut up.

Posted my view in the IGT...As for the Cardinal announcers, their St. Louis is holier than thou attitude is so annoying. They somehow think they are the keeper of the bible on how the game should be played. Of course they look the other way when their best player was a roid freak (McGuire) or their headhunting manager starts throwing at people. Annoying.

It's quite simple. We're in their heads. If we were losing 90 games every season it wouldn't be an issue. We sweep them in their own house and take their playoff spot away from them, and it becomes an issue. Teams used to get into our heads by plunking Fielder. It doesn't work anymore. The tables have turned. We get into other teams' heads. They don't get into ours.

They're upset that a newcomer has been better than them the last couple of years. They've been used to the Astros and Cubs challenging them for playoff spots, but since the Brewers pretty much walloped them last year, they now have a problem with us. I sense that since they're commenting about "untuck em" in a completely unrelated game, they're frustrated with their struggles against Milwaukee, especially the 4-game sweep. I'm beginning to see why the Cubs fans detest the Cardinals. They sure seem like a group of sanctimonious crybabies to me.

Verified Member

I agree, when this team was a doormat it was easy to dismiss stuff like this, but not anymore.

When Pujols puts his huge noggin down and runs the bases, then they can preach from the mount.

I think people need to realize that watching homers and acting cocky is what players do. Especially when they are as good as Braun and Pujols. They can back it up with ease. Braun consistently comes up with big hits late in games, so he deserves to properly celebrate much like he did tonight. I agree that the Cardinals should try to beat us if they don't wanna see us untuck 'em. I don't see what's wrong with that either. Mike Cameron, one of the classiest and nicest players in the game, came up with it, so how could it be that bad.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'd almost be offended by that statement by there announcers if St Louis wasn't one of the worst cities in the country. It has literally nothing fun to do,unless you consider staring at something the Romans perfected 2000 years ago fun.

The funny thing is that you only hear the cardinals complain about it. I have not heard any other announcer/team really complain about it.

You must have missed it last week. The Pirates fans heads nearly exploded over it. Check out their poor mans version of brewerfan.net http://www.thebuccosforum...BB.pl?num=1240958386/0#0 http://www.thebuccosforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1241641482

I wish the untucking was disrespectful. Teams should break as many of the unwritten rules as possible as almost all of them are stupid and pointless. Baseball players need to grow up and stop looking for disrespect around every corner. Somehow players in other sports survive if the other team has a little fun.

I've said it before, but if the Cardinals were in the NCAA they would have lost scholarship[s for lack of institutional control. Tony LaRussa has been ground zero for steroid use in baseball. Its just a matter of time before more former and current Cardinals get found out. You had a player die of a drug overdose. You had another player die due to drunk driving. Your manager was pulled over for drunk driving during Sprig Training.

Verified Member

I think it's funny that opposing fans/announcers think Braun is some cocky jerk. He had that showboat homer his rookie year that Ned yelled at him about and then he's had maybe one strut per season since (Cards last year and Cubs last night), and neither were bad at all. In fact, the tongue thing was nothing last night - it was just him being excited and celebrating with his team. The couple slow steps out of the box may be iffy, but it's not like 70% of the league doesn't do that, anyway.

In the meantime, Braun seems like a very down-to-earth, nice, intelligent guy, especially for someone who has seen his celebrity explode on and off the field.

Your manager was pulled over for drunk driving during Sprig Training.

That didn't bother me as much as his pompous attitude toward the press when they asked him about it.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I really think most of this complaining about the Brewers from other teams comes from the fact that the Brewers have become a quality team. Everyone in the division was so used to us being pushovers, that when we finally start beating them on a more regular basis, they get frustrated. Its sort of like your little brother growing up and beating you at all the sports you used to beat him at.

You must have missed it last week. The Pirates fans heads nearly exploded over it. Check out their poor mans version of brewerfan.net http://www.thebuccosforum...BB.pl?num=1240958386/0#0 http://www.thebuccosforum...2/YaBB.pl?num=1241641482

Thank you. I am now dumber for reading that forum.

Yeah it's the same few idiots over and over with their homophobic foul language. I know a few people shouldn't affect my opinion so much by ranking of dislike for the division is now...

1.Cubs 2. Cards 3. Pirates 4. Astros 5. Reds

Mitch Williams tonight on MLB Network said he wasn't surprised Ryan Braun gets plunked after he hits home runs. I am assuming he made that remark in regards to Braun taking his time coming out of the box and hanging his tongue out coming to first base.
This is the same Mitch Williams that has said several times on the MLBN that any pitcher that throws Braun anything but fastballs is just stupid because Braun is nothing but a off speed hitter. Hey Mitch, what pitch was that last night that Braun smoked over the right-center wall to win the game?? Mitch does not seem too bright to me - especially after watching a ton of MLBN. Didn't Magrane play for the Twins?

This was a story I posted last year about my experience in St Louis. I was at the Braun GW-HR game...

There was an older Cards fan sitting one row in front of us. Probably in his late 60's/early 70's or so, the hard-ass type of guy, you know. Well there was a group of four Brewer fans who were not doing anything too bad. Just cheering for the Brewers, loudly yes, but not sticking it in any Cards fan faces. The hard-ass Cards fan yells over to them, "you're not getting out of the stadium alive". When they left, the hard-ass and his family walked right past us. The son said we were okay but those other Brewer fans were, out of hand or something like that. I said, "well every team has those kinds of fans, it goes both ways". OMG, I thought the old man was going to have a heart attack or punch me. Huffing and puffing, you know what I mean. I didn't say anything, but I wanted to say, "you don't think so? Well instead of sitting down here in your expensive seats, try going up to the cheap seats once and then tell me you don't have those kinds of fans."

There was another group of older Cards fans sitting behind us. One of them actually bothered to ask me about the story behind why our guys do that. I told him, and was all right with it. Just said, "I thought it would be something like that."

Verified Member
I don't understand the anger from the Pirate fans. I think only a few dozen fans were at the last series in Pittsburg.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Archived