Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals TV announcer calls Brewers disrespectful

apirk
It was a creative twist on the traditional mobbing that usually happens at home plate. I don't see the difference, and would rather see something fresh than the same thing over and over. The mobbing is orchestrated as well, and the fact that it is "normal" has no bearing on whether it is planned or not.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But, do you have to choreograph your celebration?

Prince and Braun have had a choreographed celebration after every homerun Braun hits. You know you've all seen the boxing thing they do. No one has a problem with that. In fact - I love it. I think it's awesome. This is no different. It's a bigger hit in a bigger situation and a bigger choreographed celebration. I have absolutely no problem with it. If it makes the game fun for them, all the better. Guys play much better when they're having fun than when it's all business. This might be their job, but that doesn't change the fact that it is just a game.

It was a creative twist on the traditional mobbing that usually happens at home plate. I don't see the difference, and would rather see something fresh than the same thing over and over. The mobbing is orchestrated as well, and the fact that it is "normal" has no bearing on whether it is planned or not.
+1

I can't believe we are still talking about this. So they all fell down, when the big guy jumped on the plate, instead of all piling on him, possibly injuring someone. So what, big deal.

Like it or not, all sports these days have celebrations of some sort. But baseball players have to be held to a higher standard than the rest of the professional athletes? Why? Because "that's the way it's always been", because it's not "respecting the game", or "because it shows up the other team". I'm so sick of hearing those last two terms.

Times change, the game has changed, the players have changed. That's just the way it is.

So they all fell down, when the big guy jumped on the plate, instead of all piling on him, possibly injuring someone. So what, big deal.

What's ironic is I heard the argument against the celebration refer to the possibility of someone getting hurt while falling backward. Mobbing someone and beating them over the head seems to open the door to possibly injury more so if you ask me.

Really? Someone had better inform the sausages.

What about all the other "entertainment" that goes on at miller park:

the rubber chicken contest

the kiss cam

follow the ball contest

guess the attendance

pathetic attempts at orchestrated cheer leading (ie. "charge" and "make some noise")

and please tell fans to stop doing the wave

all the amusement park-like crap on the concourses

etc.

Which one of those involves a player? I also wonder if all of those combined are enough to draw a crowd to the stadium if the team sucks on the field. I tend to think if the Brewers said they would have all those attractions after the season and it would only cost $5 you would not have enough people come to make it worth opening the doors. I would go one step further and say you can make it free and nobody would show up. Baseball players actually playing baseball is the attraction. Everything else is a sideshow. I would prefer my team avoid becoming nothing more than a sideshow.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

So the team becomes nothing more than a sideshow if they celebrate in a manner you don't approve of?

Why does it have to involve a player. The point is some of the entertainment value for a lot of "fans" has to do with things other than hitting, fielding, and pitching.

Even with a better team there are still a lot of folks who I've seen coming in late and leaving early last year and earlier this year, not seeming to care if they miss quite a bit of the actual baseball game. Many still head for the exits after the sausage race, the seventh inning stretch, and the end of beer sales.

"I would go one step further and say you can make it free and nobody would show up."

I'm pretty sure you are wrong about that...make anything free in Milwaukee and you are sure to get a big crowd. Plus it might even be more profitable to let folks in for free and just have the side shows going, as you would not have to pay $80,000,000 (plus whatever the cost of benefits adds) to the players.

So the team becomes nothing more than a sideshow if they celebrate in a manner you don't approve of?

I am allowed an opinion even if it is not in favor of what the player or you agree with am I not? I'm not sure why you need to restate my thoughts on how I like my team to act as though I am saying I am the sole purveyor or all things Brewers. I don't think we all just agree with you that it was fresh and entertaining.

My opinion, which is the only thing I or anyone else on can give on this subject, is it isn't fresh or entertaining. I don't know why you seem to be getting mad that I have a different idea of what I want the team I follow to act like than you do. What's the point of a blog if not to debate differing opinions? If you have a difference on opinion fine but don't expect me to just accept yours as better than mine.

So once again I will state my opinion, like some others on this thread and around baseball, is it wasn't fresh, it wasn't entertaining and wasn't very professional. If you disagree fine, it's all about what we personally want our players to act like.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Daron Sutton and esp. Luis Gonzalez's monologues on the Dbacks feed right now about the walkoff celebration and all their iterations about "respect for the game" make me want to puke.

Hey Gonzo, take the needle out of your arm before you dare lecture others about "respect for the game."

Any other links to the display? I keep getting crappy NFL news.

They took the link down to that highlight spot.

I'll keep looking.

Edit: Checked three different sites (and Google), nobody has the video anymore.

It was the Sunday night game that was on ESPN. It was the bottom of the 9th.

Holliday was on first, Ludwick at bat.

I poked around on stltoday.com and a large number of the fans knew the call was the right call, but a large number think they got robbed by the umps, which is ridiculous. I didn't see one person mention Holliday tossing his helmet.

It was the Sunday night game that was on ESPN. It was the bottom of the 9th.

Holliday was on first, Ludwick at bat.

I poked around on stltoday.com and a large number of the fans knew the call was the right call, but a large number think they got robbed by the umps, which is ridiculous. I didn't see one person mention Holliday tossing his helmet.

ESPN highlighted it on SportsCenter, but I've poked around other sites that have game highlights and they all pull away before Holliday throws the helmet.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I was posting on another forum populated by both Brewers and Cardinals fans yesterday in the 10th inning when LaRussa walked Prince intentionally in a game that meant absolutely nothing to either team.

Even most of the Cardinals fans thought this was an incredibly 'bush' move by LaRussa, and most said in their opinion, was done mostly out of spite to keep Prince from tying Pujols for the homerun lead, or giving him a chance to reach .300. I don't know about the 2nd part, I hardly doubt LaRussa keeps that close tabs on opposing players BA during game time, but I'm sure he was well aware of the HR situation.

What a jag.

I'm really surprised that anyone honestly thinks LaRussa did that to spite Fielder or the Brewers personally, or was concerned mostly with trying to protect Pujols' record.

The game was within reach for the Cards, the base was open with two outs, Prince had been killing them all day, and yeah, he's a proven RBI hitter. Tell me why he should've pitched to him? The brotherhood of man? Was it an exhibition at that point?

Sorry, I guess I just don't buy that.

Liz and I took the Busch tour on Friday. Tour was GREAT until we got into the Champions Club, that is where we proceeded to get lectured about how disrespectful both the untucking is, and when Prince got mad when a reporter called him Cecil. We had to defend ourselves explaining the reason for the untucking and the fact that his dad and Prince do not get along etc.

Fans were generally very very nice, but they decided to lecture us about the traditions and how to play baseball the "right way". That got old really fast... I'd say theres a sense of smug entitlement because they have been around forever.

Did the guide single you guys out for the lecture? I'd call that crossing a line. It would be like my telling a library patron why his choice of book was a poor idea (which if I did that would land me in trouble).
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived