Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals TV announcer calls Brewers disrespectful

apirk

It's a shame, because the Cardinals as a collection of baseball players are actually a pretty fun team to watch if you have no rooting interest. It's just their fans and their compulsion to lecture the rest of the league on what's acceptable that makes them so irritating. I really want to enjoy watching Albert Pujols in his prime -- I really do -- but I really get more joy in seeing an "0-for-4" next to his name in the box score these days.

God help us all if the World Series ends up being Cardinals/Yankees.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We'd all be ok with this if the uniforms were different? Let's say that Milton Bradley hit a walk-off against the Brewers, and the Cubs staged something like this. It would still be cool, sportsmanlike, fun, etc.?

Yeah. I just don't see the big deal. What's the difference between mobbing a guy after he touches home or just fall over without him knowing as a little joke on him when he's expecting to be mobbed? They don't like it because it's different, but I'd rather watch celebrations like that than the continuous mob the guy celebrations. Nothing wrong with having a little fun.

ESPN played the clip of the celebration a couple times on Sportscenter this morning and seemed to think it was pretty amusing. Didn't say anything about it being "unsportsmanlike", etc. So I think the criticism is mostly limited to Cardinals Nation.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Well, the Cardinals staged celebration all revolves around them trying to punch and grope one another after a walk off.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

There are some good posts on that Cardinal site, especially averagejoe or whatever. So their fans aren't all lame.

I hadn't seen an update on La Russa's lawsuit until now. When he dropped it he lied and said twitter agreed to pay his legal fees but twitter managed to set the record straight. Stay classy guys.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I can see how internally the Giants would be a little ticked. I mean if some other team had done that to the Brewers during last year's pennant race I would have been slightly steamed. But by the same token, there's no reason to go public with your displeasure. Suck it up and move on.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Irregardless of all of this nonsense, I don't understand why anyone would cheer for the Cardinals in the playoffs. I've never understood the mentality of cheering for one's rivals just because they are from the same division/league. I generally find myself fervently rooting against these teams.

I haven't heard anyone but Ron Wotus upset about it, not Bay Area media, not anyone on the Giants, even the Giants fans seemed semi-amused by it. They've got better stuff to worry about, really.

Silly.

The only really indefensible sideshow thing the Brewers have done this year in my mind was Prince running through Dodger Stadium to confront Mota.

Apparently Macha wasn't a fan of it.

Macha, definitely old-school, was not thrilled with the display, however.

"I was shocked, standing there," said Macha, who was not aware a celebration had been choreographed for such a moment.

"But this is 2009, when a guy gets to home plate, points up and beats his chest (after a homer). Some people take that as disrespect.

I'm not a huge fan of it, I do think it's a bit stupid to celebrate winning one game out of three with the team under .500 and out of the playoff race with a month left to play. Showing emotion is one thing but planned celebrations are not emotion they are "look at me, let's do something to get on sports center," actions. If they want to be on prime time and highlight shows win a few more games.

All that said the Cards and their fans have shown themselves to be poor losers and I have no time for such types. Their fans may be knowledgeable but that is not the same as good sportsmen. Their idea of respect all revolves around them being superior to others and that is not any more respectful to the game than over celebrating.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I think the difference is the fact that it was in Milwaukee, in front of the home town fans. The team knows they have been playing bad, and were probably just looking to celebrate after a hard fought win and entertain the home fans a bit. If they were doing it in San Francisco or elsewhere, it would be different...but I find it hard to criticize them for doing it in front of the home town fans who stuck through 12 innings of a hard fought victory.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think the difference is the fact that it was in Milwaukee, in front of the home town fans. The team knows they have been playing bad, and were probably just looking to celebrate after a hard fought win and entertain the home fans a bit.
This is the crux of it. It could have the potential to be offensive/unsportsman if it was on the road or after a 10 run win etc. This was an exciting win at HOME for a team that has little left to hold on to this year. If they were to do it often it would get old, it was creative and amazing to watch live.

I'm surprised to see so many people (mostly off this site) complaining that this came from a team with a losing record. (I can't count how many times I've seen a statement like, "This is like celebrating a touchdown when you're down 41-14. Ummm, no, actually it's not. At all.)

Personally, the thing I liked the most about it was the fact that they could still enjoy each other enough when they've had such a miserable season, to celebrate like that together. To me it showed unity, and that even though things have been awful, there's a good chemistry amongst the guys in the locker room. I think it says a lot more about them strictly because of their situation.

This celebration would only work at home, since it was a planned walk-off celebration. I guarantee the players have no intention of taking this on the road.

People always need something to complain about, especially people in Missouri. If I lived in Missouri, I certainly would be complaining 24/7 about something.

I thought it was hilarious and joyous. But I'd still aim at Prince's head next time he was in San Fran. I'd make sure to turn it into a big deal. The Brewers aren't good enough to act like the Cinncinati Bengals in the end zone. Fun indeed and totally disrespetful.

So its okay to have a totally staged and planned celebration, throw your helmet, and then punch each other in a big pile... while jumping up and down....

But its not okay to have everyone fall down?

I just don't get it.... the attitude of "Our team doesn't do it, so it shouldn't be done." is stupid. I wonder if they complained the first time A-Rod or Big Papi threw their helmet off after rounding 3rd base on a walk off.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

spontaneously celebrating by jumping up and down and piling on is not the same as sitting down and saying next time we have a walk off homer everyone fall down. One is planned and doing so when a playoff hope just went down the drain seemed like an odd time to plan it. If the team is still having fun and enjoying each other's company to that extent I have to wonder if winning is as important as it should be for them. After they failed to win either of the two series in which the manager himself said it was do or die they should have been upset, not celebrating the first of a month's worth of meaningless games with made up celebrations.

I could see the antics if it was to get the team going or to build unity for getting the team up and going for the stretch run. That was not what was going on.

It was not a way to pump up a dragging team for a playoff run or to turn things around. It was the beginning of playing out the string because of their failures the last 5 games. All it showed me was they don't get it. I don't really give a rats behind if they love playing or love the team as long as they win. They are paid professionals and the only thing I am concerned about is my fun not theirs. If the team genuinely likes being around each other and it helps keep the good ones around longer all the better. I just don't see how that type of behavior does that. The fun is for the fans. The fun the players have takes a very distant back seat to our enjoyment and especially winning. The fans generally prefer winning to made up celebrations after winning 1 of 3 and 2 of 6 against teams they needed to beat.

I don't really like the pointing to God or the usual antics that many players on all teams today have so in that way I don't think any team should be pointing fingers, especially one who employed the biggest disgrace to the game in Barry Bonds. Or the ones who seem to think the only thing that matters is the game while drinking and driving... pardon me...ahem, falling asleep at a stop light after the game is done. But that doesn't mean I like what the Brewers do. I always liked to quiet professional types.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Uhh, nothing like sucking the joy out of creativity and pizazz. In the planning, at least they are actually thinking about a walk-off HR. Its a fine line between going through the motions and just going through the motions. Its entertainment, and creativity is welcome in my entertainment world. At the very least it shows me they are still interested, rather than just showing up at the ballpark for a 53% chance of being beat.

Archived