Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals TV announcer calls Brewers disrespectful

apirk
  • Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this is the funniest stuff i've seen in baseball - or pro sports - in a long, long time. i've never seen a fanbase throw their toys from crib or "spit the dummy" (google it) as much as the cards. what a bunch of DINKS.

I was reading vivaelbirdos after Braun left the game after getting HBP and they had this comment.

If Pujols acted like Braun

and not the professional he does, then other teams would have the right to mock us.

It took about 3 seconds for me to remember Pujols standing in the box watching what he thought was a home run that didn't even make it to the track 20 minutes prior.

Agreed. Someone called them out on that in the blog. They like bringing up all the classy players from their history (Hornsby, Brock, Ozzie, Gibson, Musial, etc.) but they conveniently forget about Andujar. I'm sure they weren't up in arms over his antics in those days.
Isn't Hornsby considered one of the games biggest jerks in the game?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Isn't Hornsby considered one of the games biggest jerks in the game?
I guess so. From Wiki (never knew this):

Hornsby was one of the more controversial characters in baseball history. Although he did not drink or smoke, he was a compulsive gambler. As with Ty Cobb, his photogenic smile belied a dark side. One writer characterized him as "a liturgy of hatred," and according to baseball writer Fred Lieb, Hornsby confessed to being a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 2 weeks later...

Just pasting my post from the 6/5/09 non-Brewers IGT here... keep in mind the timing of this was bottom of the 7th at home against COL, with STL losing 11-3.

On his double, Ankiel was pointing at & taunting/jawing at JDLR, running to 1B. What a moron.

The gap between Cards' fans perception of their crap-head team & reality is shocking. What a bunch of classless losers.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Oh, and he was cussing at him while at the plate. Wow, this is honeslty one of the [_____]iest things I've ever seen from a MLBer.

Ankiel is ... I can't continue posting because I don't want a strike.

LOSER

Oh, and the classy Cards announcers are laughing & lauding the merits of intimidating other players. You stay KKKlassy, St. Louis.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Exactly jeffyscott, it's amazing what someone will say to justify their man. There are a handful of people using this defense of Ankiel over there. I didn't realize this was an "unspoken rule" (as they're referring to it over there) but I guess the Cardinals should know, they're the keeper of the flame after all.

Here's another thing. Ankiel, as a former pitcher, has the benefit of the perpsective from both the mound and the batter's box. He would know the acceptable protocol in a game like that. Perhaps he was thinking that in a similar situation, he would have not been throwing curve balls, but simply would have been pitching nothing but FB's. There is a right way to play the game with respect to your opponent, and maybe in his mind the rookie with a last place team was showing folks up. Again, he had a point.

To be fair, I'd say 50% of the people in that thread realize what a dope move it was.

To be fair, I'd say 50% of the people in that thread realize what a dope move it was.

I read that posting earlier this morning....I had to clean my laptop screen afterward - coffee somehow wound up all over it.

edit--pared back the quoting. pitchleague

Wow, I've heard a lot of whoppers, but I've never heard that the opposing pitcher can only throw fastballs when his team has a decent margin. What a load.

Reading that, you'd think no team has blown a lead of 8 runs or more this year....oh, wait.......

I think maybe it's time for the Cards to write these protocols down. There seems to be one for every situation. If they would be so kind as to put them on paper maybe the other teams could study it. Then every one would know what the Cardinals expect of them.

As far as Ankiel spouting off to JDLR I think we need to get a lip reader to translate. He could have just been asking how he learned to throw a ball that didn't hit the backstop.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Apparently Albert Pujols is the only player allowing to point to the sky after touching home on a home run, too. Everyone else is mocking him and deserves one in the ribs the next time they hit...Ian Stewart should probably watch out. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

As far as all this "disrespect for the game" goes, I just really don't care. I feel that people showing emotion is good for rivalries and is only natural for competitors. It just annoys me when people, such as the Cardinals announcers, need to make such a big deal about it. I love it when Braun hits a big HR and poses a little, or shows emotion. I also love to hate players from different teams who do the same thing back to the Brewers. What's the fun of a good rivalry if players aren't getting under the skin of players/fans of the other team!?

Archived