Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals TV announcer calls Brewers disrespectful

apirk
I think the runoff is more likely to fan the flames than just doing their regular untuck-em and high five line. I think it is almost taunting in nature.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewers.com has video now of the walk-off hit and run-off exit; also an MLB Network interview with Bill Hall where Mitch Williams (whom I did not recognize without a mullet) asks for the umpteenth media explanation of the untucking thing.

Honestly, we were high fiving fans around us in the immediate aftermath of the hit, and then when I looked up the field was strangely empty of Brewers. So I didn't see enough of it live to get any vibe, in-your-face or otherwise. I suppose said vibe is in the eyes of the beholder, so it's probably all up to STL media and fans to decide.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

If STL nation is still ticked by that, I wonder what will please them...short of the Brewers never winning again.
You got it. Until the Cards beat the Brewers, they (announcers, players, fans, you name them) will grasp at straws to maintain their perceived moral superiority because they're the classiest organization in baseball.

I guess they could have celebrated by by shaking hands in a classy manner, paying proper respects to their opponents, cleaning and ironing their uniforms properly, calling their Mothers after the game, dropping by a local VFW post to give proper respect to our heroes...then drinking too much and hopping in their cars to drive home (in an intoxicated although morally superior fashion) like the Cardinals would do.

Lets be honest, this all a Tony LaRussa stunt. He has the ear of the announcers and then they get it to the media and suddenly Tony can point to his team about how the Brewers disrespect them as if he wasn't the one instigating it.

Lets be honest, this all a Tony LaRussa stunt. He has the ear of the announcers and then they get it to the media and suddenly Tony can point to his team about how the Brewers disrespect them as if he wasn't the one instigating it.
Considering the control LaRussa seems to have over the media in St. Louis, I wouldn't doubt that.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm sick of this. 70 percent of all MLB teams are filled with players from other organizations. Evidently, the minute they cross the border into St Louis, players become classy and respectful.

The fans will give a hand to opposing players when they make a great catch. Most all fans do, even Cub fans. But Cardinal fans think they know more about baseball. They are snotty. The only reason people think St Louis fans are classy is because that's all you hear from St Louis fans.

Other fans complain about the treatment they get in Milwaukee, I've heard it many times. What do you expect??? 25,000 people cooking out and drinking for hours before a game and you expect a tennis crowd? Get over it Cardinal fans, you aren't better than anyone else.

What was wonderful about the "Untuck'em On Legs" today was that the coaches got involved too, the fastest they've run since probably the "McGyver" era. By the way, I thought Cameron was trying to set a land speed record the way he booked it to the clubhouse.

I hope they keep coming up with novel ways to celebrate victories over the Cardinals. Maybe something involving a fifth of Old Granddad, an effigy of Stan Musial and a full urostomy bag. (Oh, wait. Now THAT wasn't classy.)

Oh I forgot to mention. While at the game today right before Counsell got that hit to break up the no-no I stood up in our section and yelled out "Hey everyone Chris Carpenter is throwing a no-hitter!", and then Counsell got the hit. I swear. It really happened that way. And we had a few Cardinals fans right by us in our section (109). They were not happy with me.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I love this rivalry. It's fun, and even more fun because we keep whopping them.
This could be a very fun NL Central race if the Cards can keep pace and the Cubs don't pull away. Imagine a three horse MIL-CHI-STL race for the central in the final two weeks of September. We got 6 vSTL and 8 vCHI that month, and STL and CHI play each other 3 times. At this point, it seems like everybody hates everybody.

I love this rivalry. It's fun, and even more fun because we keep whopping them.
This could be a very fun NL Central race if the Cards can keep pace and the Cubs don't pull away. Imagine a three horse MIL-CHI-STL race for the central in the final two weeks of September. We got 6 vSTL and 8 vCHI that month, and STL and CHI play each other 3 times. At this point, it seems like everybody hates everybody.
Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm a little more worried about the Reds right now then the Cubs.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

If the Brewers weren't winning nobody would care about the untucking. So, I'll take it as a compliment that the classy team from the south cares how we celebrate.

To be fair about the St. Louis fans (in my one experience). We were at the game last Sat. in St. Louis and treated very respectfully. Granted we weren't heckling people around us, but we did cheer the whole game and not one word of negativity was said to us. It took until 12:30 that night and quite a few drinks later for someone to finally tell us to go the f! back home. Oddly enough, it was disappointing it didn't happen sooner.

As wrong as those in Cardinal nation are in criticizing the Brewers untucking 'em, I have to say the premeditated nature of the run to the dugout kinda rubs me the wrong way. I understand it, but if there is nothing wrong with untucking your jerseys after a win, then you just keep doing it. Not sure there is really a need to send that additional message. I would argue doing so is in fact disrespectful, and unnecessary. I don't think its a big deal, but I just don't see what it accomplishes.

I get the distinct feeling that none of this is done to show up the other team. This is a close team. They seem to have a ball with each other. These are the fun little things that teams do. If it ticks a rival off too, sweet.

Think Bash Brothers or Jose Reyes and his multitude of handshakes. Last weekend, I saw the Twins players doing a weird high five to back elbow bump thingy. I don't think anyone else in baseball has ever done that, is that disrespectful? It's a TEAM celebration. No one would give a rip if we were in last place.

In the movie Bull Durham, if Crash and Nuke did the run-off, this act would be revered as 'part of this great game of baseball'. Instead, Bob Brenly (Cubs), Cards announcers and players, whoever from Pittsburgh, Dave Winfield, and Mitch Williams (far from the model of traditional baseball players) started whining about our so-called antics.

Idk, this is getting old.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm a little more worried about the Reds right now then the Cubs.

You are crazy. Reds have a lot of young talent but that rotation is going to fall apart at some point and the offense really isn't all that good.

You are crazy. Reds have a lot of young talent but that rotation is going to fall apart at some point and the offense really isn't all that good.
In the short-term, worrying about the Reds is not completely crazy because they will be the opponent on Friday.

I suppose you could argue how truly "worry worthy" the Reds are (or any team is) for those of us not actually playing the game.

/nitpick

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I've thought for a while now that if Braun hits a homer against the Cards, he should sprint as hard as he can around the bases, and then slide into home in a cloud of dust. That might just send them completely over the edge.

Archived