Brewer Fanatic

Manny Ramirez Tests Positive for PED - Suspended 50 games

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This could help the Cubs at the expense of the rest of the Central. Cubs play the Dodgers 4 times in next 50 games. They are the only NL Central team that will play the Mannyless Dodgers.

If I had one beef about suspensions, it's that affect more than just one team. Why not just fine him 1/3 of his season's salary?

I used to really like listening to Peter Gammons. His reporting on Manny is almost making me sick. He is being nothing but apologetic and groveling about how it's not Manny's fault and he didn't actually take steriods, he didn't know. blah blah blah. If he took something that was banned, and failed to check into it---he has to be the one held responsible for doing it. Sorry Peter, I don't care how bad Manny feels about doing it, I bet he's a lot more sorry that he got caught.

Now he comes with, "If Manny got caught up with these kinds of tests, everyone in baseball has to be on the look out before they get suspended too." Gammons was the last person on ESPN that I would listen to, apparently I'm MLB network only now.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Manny went to Florida and got a prescription from a doctor who was unaware of what is and is not tolerated by baseballs steroid policy. To me this sounds like Manny going out of his way to obtain PEDs. I hope he just apologizes and moves on instead of pretending like he didn't know what he was doing.

EDIT: I agree about Peter Gammons. He can't be that ignorant to constantly buy into these players excuses.

With a blanket statement like that, we have to assume that Ryan Braun is dirty, since he has a pretty super start to his young career.

Why should our players be any different than other team's players?

As far as the Manny statement goes sorry I don't believe him. Anyone who has any brains at all knows they can check what they are taking against a list of banned substances. The fact that he passed tests in the past only means he had his cycles lined up correctly until now.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I don't understand why any player would still be taking these things. Especially a star.
Because their numbers were huge with them and they can't afford for their sake or the teams to let them decline.

*edit* Plus, Manny as an example, they make MILLIONS based off those numbers!

If Manny did what he did for money, he messed up big time. This will cost him over $7M this year, and he already had the best contract that he could get.

If Manny did what he did for money, he messed up big time. This will cost him over $7M this year, and he already had the best contract that he could get.
That's $7 million from the $207 million he'll have earned in his career from salary alone once the 2010 season is over. To me that doesn't seem to be significant especially if PEDs helped him earn most of that money.

I don't understand why any player would still be taking these things. Especially a star.
Possibly because he became a star by taking these things?
Yeah, that's fine, I understand why players did it in the past. But if they use it now they are going to get caught. So now it's just arrogant stupidity that compels a first ballot HOF'er to risk his reputation.

The only way I believe that Manny is owning up to it is if I see the actual prescription written out to him that Manny took to the drug store, I use that term loosely, to get that 'medicine'.

I was just reading the reactions at dodgersblues.com's forum and was intrigued by the title of their version of brewerfan's major league section -- Brewers 16, Dodgers 1. Does anybody know why they would call their major league section that?

Verified Member
I'm not shocked manny did it, i am shocked he owned up completely.
I HIGHLY doubt he owned up "completely." The "I got it from my doctor" story sounds like crap to me.

This could work out pretty well for the Dodgers. They lose Manny for a part of the season that is less significant than, say, the last 50 games. Manny will be fresh come September and October, the Dodger bench gets more playing time which could benefit them in the short and long run, the NL West is pretty weak and the Dodgers shouldnt have a big problem staying in 1st or 2nd until the All Star break AND they get Manny services for a 1/3 discount!!

Not a bad deal at all for LA.

dlk9s, Sorry I'm a bit slow. I don't understand the relevance of the picture. Al McGwire and who? ..and what does it have to do with this issue?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

It's Al McGuire with Mike Deane. But I, too, don't understand the relevance of the picture.

As for Manny, I guess I was surprised by the news. I know I should be, but I am anyways. I wonder if the yahoo fantasy baseball leagues have a slot to put suspended PED users, like they do for guys who go on the DL, which then opens a spot for you to pick up another player.

Follow me on Twitter

Can anyone say Braun's clean? Given the start of his career, it wouldn't be out of the question.

Not that I'm accusing him of anything...it just really stinks that thoughts like that can creep in when news like this comes out.

The thought has crossed my mind, especially considering his relationship with Arod.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Verified Member
dlk9s, Sorry I'm a bit slow. I don't understand the relevance of the picture. Al McGwire and who? ..and what does it have to do with this issue?
They are laughing. Laughing at Manny.

This sucks for baseball and for fans. Its much easier to pile on a player like Bonds or A-rod, guys who just kind of come off as jerks. I love Manny. I know some people dont think his antics are funny but he never seems to take himself too seriously and that is refreshing. I do wonder whats up with the 15 drug tests he says he passed over the last five years. Do players really get tested that frequently?

Can't believe I forgot all about Mike Deane. Thought he looked familiar.

Think the fans will still vote Manny into the All-Star game? That would be a really awkward situation for MLB.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Multiple sources have said it wasn't anabolic steroids so I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=1256

"Ramirez's statement issued through the MLBPA indicates that Ramirez will not appeal his suspension and that he received the banned substance from a doctor. Ramirez was suspended under section 8.G.2 of the Joint Drug Agreement, which is "other." In his statement, there's no clear statement that Ramirez ever tested positive. Combined, those two facts point to a non-testable drug, but this is not confirmed. The only other known 8.G.2 suspension was Jordan Schaefer. "

This kind of reminds me of the whole StarCaps thing from the NFL last year that popped both Williams DTs on the Vikings. Here's a link for folks who aren't NFL fans:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/?s=starcaps

But they went so far as to sue the NFL to continue play and overturn their suspension. I don't understand why Manny isn't putting up more of fight. This certainly throws cold water on the idea that A-Rod's hip injury was actually a suspension. Why wouldn't they have Manny do the same?

I used to really like listening to Peter Gammons. His reporting on Manny is almost making me sick. He is being nothing but apologetic and groveling about how it's not Manny's fault and he didn't actually take steriods, he didn't know. blah blah blah. If he took something that was banned, and failed to check into it---he has to be the one held responsible for doing it. Sorry Peter, I don't care how bad Manny feels about doing it, I bet he's a lot more sorry that he got caught.

Now he comes with, "If Manny got caught up with these kinds of tests, everyone in baseball has to be on the look out before they get suspended too." Gammons was the last person on ESPN that I would listen to, apparently I'm MLB network only now.

I might be wrong because I am at work and it's difficult to follow but I believe the ban was for something on the banned substance list, not a steroid specifically. That could encompass a bunch of different medications.

Rp

Archived