Brewer Fanatic

Question about Carlos Corporan's 1st Major League Hit

I'm not really new to the site, as I check this place out at least 2 times a day. But I have a question for all you stat guru's out there.

Has there been any other player in the MLB to have their first career big league hit, against a positional player?

I'm asking because it is such a rare occurrence for a position player to actually pitch in a game.

Also if this doesn't belong here then feel free to move it to where it does.

Keep up the good work with the site guys!

He was hitting 92 on the gun so it's not like Carlos' first major league hit was off some scrub.

I still can't believe they put him in...Janish had tommy john surgery a few years ago. It would be a terrible thing to see a SS have their season end by pumping in 92 mph fastballs in a blowout game.

I still can't believe they put him in...Janish had tommy john surgery a few years ago. It would be a terrible thing to see a SS have their season end by pumping in 92 mph fastballs in a blowout game.

Two words: Dusty Baker.

True. I know the game wasn't really in doubt when he made the move, but I thought it was a bit early.

I watched the game with the Reds TV guys and I heard in pre-game was how great the Reds pitchers have been...bla bla bla. Didn't really work that way at least that game.

The Reds announcers aren't very good at all. Brantley is usually good for one, 'Whhuuuuuuuu?' comment per game.

Imo last night it was harping on the Reds 3B (who apparently hadn't much experience at 3B). Brantley slammed him after the innocent mistake of not being able to get that potential double-play ball off the bat of Hart out of his glove cleanly. Something about, 'I don't care if you've never played a position before. You get yourself mentally prepared before the game & make yourself ready to play there.' Uhh, Jeff... the error was on Hairston, and the throw (if caught) beat Weeks to the bag for what would have been a force-out. So yeah, seems like the guy made a decent play out of a bad bobble.

The p-b-p guy isn't too great either, but he's made to look better simply by not being Jeff Brantley.

Also, how can you not love Dusty Baker managing one of your divisional foes? This is a special treat, and every baseball fan in the world should get to experience how wonderful it is at least once.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The p-b-p guy isn't too great either, but he's made to look better simply by not being Jeff Brantley.

I guess I like the p-b-p guy. Brantley just doesn't seem too 'attached' to the team. I really don't like a 100% homer type, but I would at least want a guy that cares about the team. I don't get that from Brantley.

I also found it interesting how badly Reds fans want Nix to play. I've seen Nix play a ton and I hope everything works out for him with the Reds. He's been mashing in a limited role so far this year.

And he kept him there to throw 35 pitches! That's a lot for a guy who hasn't pitched in years. Will be interesting to see if he comes down with an arm or shoulder injury in the next few weeks.

Verified Member

Bobby Chouinard (a pitcher) got his 1st and only major league hit off Frank Menechino in 2000. However it was his 9th major league PA.

David Ross got his 2nd major league hit and 1st major league HR off Mark Grace in 2002. It would have been his 8th major league PA.

That's as close as I can find.

I don't think it was a bad move by Dusty. He had a fresher bullpen in game 2 of series and they won. In 1979, Bamberger went to Sal Bando in the 4th inning. Bando went 3 full innings followed by Gantner and Buck Martinez for an inning each. That might have been the earliest any manager went to position players in a game. Brewers lost 18-8 but Bando, Gantner and Martinez were only charged with 3 of those runs.

Didn't Tony Graffanino pitch an inning a couple years ago?

Not according to baseball-reference.com. But Loretta did an inning back in 2001 and Cirillo did with AZ in 2007, against the Brewers. That was on FSN about a week ago.

Archived