Brewer Fanatic

All Star Game Voting - Red Sox fans recommend Lastings Milledge

Thought this was an interesting topic to bring up. A group at Sons of Sam Horn are making a push across the interweb to try to vote Milledge into the All Star game. Milledge is currently playing on the National´s AAA team, but for some reason was put onto the digital ballot found at MLB.com.

This sounds like a good deal of fun. Anyone else interested in showing just what a mockery the All Star game voting system is?

Link to article.

I agree with the premise, fans shouldn't have a vote... if they do, it shouldn't be weighted very much.

The Managers, GMs, and Players should decide who goes.

We've gotten our share of very borderline players into the All-Star game recently... I participated, but in hindsight I wish I wouldn't have cast so many votes. Of course allowing multiple votes is the only way to attempt to equal out the fan populations of the various teams, which is another reason why fan voting is so flawed.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

How great is it that fans are protesting to get their vote taken away...

I think it shows how dedicated they are to the actual product on the field...I am all for it. I won't even be voting this year, unless I vote for Milledge, not after what happened to Corey last year.

I just don't have the patience to vote so many times. I don't really care who makes it. I hope it's the best players. That said I hope Milledge makes it this year so they are forced to change the process so the fans don't have a vote.

Not sure how having the people responsible for the Gold Gloves responsible for the All Star game makes it better.

Rosters are submitted to the league office in Spring Training, there's always one weird thing because of that.

Not sure how having the people responsible for the Gold Gloves responsible for the All Star game makes it better.

Exactly. Managers, players, reporters, etc. are just as stupid as fans. No system is perfect. I don't think there's anything wrong with letting the fans have a say.

Community Moderator

Here's another thought:

Maybe we should create a computer program to decide who makes it. It would be completely unbiased and cause no controversy whatsoever.

Thought this was an interesting topic to bring up. A group at Sons of Sam Horn are making a push across the interweb to try to vote Milledge into the All Star game. Milledge is currently playing on the National´s AAA team, but for some reason was put onto the digital ballot found at MLB.com.

This sounds like a good deal of fun. Anyone else interested in showing just what a mockery the All Star game voting system is?

Link to article.

I don't have any big issue with the current system. It's not like fans simply vote in Yankees/Red Sox players and/or only big name guys. They often vote for players having a good year even if say the guy plays in a small market.

Last year in the NL Braun, Hanley Ramirez, and Matt Holliday were starters. Only Fukudome was a starter that didn't deserve it IMO. In the AL they voted in Josh Hamilton. It could be argued that Jeter shouldn't have been the starting SS, but it's not like that was a mockery for him to start.

Overall, i think fans do a better job than many imply they don't. They amount of times a player is voted in as a starter that i think is ridiculous is fairly limited, to me at least. Fan voting in the NBA i think is much worse.

To me, the biggest problem with fan voting in MLB and the NBA is when oft-injured guys who are having bad years or who have missed most of the season get voted in (Grant Hill, Ken Griffey Jr., Vince Carter, etc.). However, the leagues open themselves to the risk of stuff like that happening when they open the voting so soon after the season starts.

Also, if Milledge looks like he is going to win a spot, the league will just rig the voting like the NHL did when Rory Fitzpatrick was going to be a starter because of a similar campaign in 2007. The whole thing is pointless and makes a mockery of the sport, which is exactly what I don't want to see happen, despite any problems I may have with MLB as an entity. If those guys at SOSH want to mess up the all-star game, start a campaign to vote in an undeserving fan favorite on their own team. At least that is understandable and can be justified as trying to show how much they like a certain unsung player. To try to vote in a minor leaguer from another team is just mean. Imagine how we would have felt if Yankees fans had voted Bill Hall into the game in 2002. It would have just embarrassed him, as well as the team, city, and fans.

Usually a lot of the issues work themselves out. A hurt guy will sit out, opening the door for the manager to pick a more deserving guy, etc. I think the problems get overblown a lot.

I do think a weighted system would be best. Maybe count the fan votes for one third, player votes for one third, and coaches/managers for one third. Also, not starting the voting two weeks into the season would be nice.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Milledge won't get voted in so the whole discussion is silly in my opinion. There's not nearly enough voters that are motivated by the idea of messing with the process to offset the vast majority that vote either for their own players or the best players. That Red Sox fans think they can sway the entire voting just shows how arrogant they are.

BTW, I'm keeping an eye on Milledge who might be a nice steal acquisition for the Brewers this offseason.

While I'm kind of up for messing with the "This Time It Counts" silliness of the All Star Game, I don't see this amounting to anything. And, if I was to vote for Milledge, I'd probably counter it with a vote for Julio Lugo.

Robert

Archived