Brewer Fanatic

Braun story in Milwaukee's Decider

Can people point out instances of how Braun is cocky? I never get it. I guess the watching home runs every now and then. But pretty much everyone does that at some point and I don't remember the last time he has done that anyways. I think maybe some people are confusing cocky with confidence. Braun is incredibly confident and you can tell that by his body language and the way he carries himself. I never hear him talk about him being better and what not than others. Its never a me me me show, at least in public. He's just a confident guy.

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,260 for "ryan braun" cocky. (0.25 seconds)

Let's see how that compares to others:

Results 1 - 10 of about 550 for "rickie weeks" cocky. (0.30 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 283 for "craig counsell" cocky. (0.28 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,230 for "prince fielder" cocky. (0.28 seconds)

Not exactly scientific but funny to look at.

Personally, I think complaining about how he watches home runs is really silly. It's like deciding that a player is lazy/uninterested/doesn't try hard because of his facial expressions. He probably doesn't even realize he's doing it, and I'm all but certain he's not trying to be a jerk.

As far as his comments to the media, I've always thought he sounds more like a coach. Not sure if that means cocky or not.

Maybe we as fans are just so used to rooting for guys who had nothing to really be cocky about.

Actually, I just don't like cocky professional athletes in general. I've prefered the kind of guy who doesn't take himself too seriously, which definitely isn't Braun. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif I recall Hart joking about Braun being his biggest fan, or something to that effect. I agree that Braun isn't nearly as cocky as some other athletes, but he just isn't my thing. I am a big of him hitting bombs with a Brewers uniform on though, so you'll never see me cheer against him.

I can appreciate why fans like the perceived loyalty of signing a that contact, I just don't really care about that kind of stuff.

This statement is perplexing to me. You have a problem with Braun's persona...fine. He's definitely the most clean and confident (maybe cocky) speaker on the team (how can Weeks, Fielder, and Hart still be so timid?). If you aren't into that, that is fine. BUT..

How can you "not really care about that kind of stuff" regarding loyalty in a player? I still can't believe Braun signed the deal he did. He could have waited a year or two and got 60 million over 5 even in this down market. He's signed up into his 30's, so he clearly didn't consider hitting that FA deal in his prime. He's going to be a Brewer for the next 6+ years at a great rate even if he doesn't improve at all. A guy who was itching to go "big city" doesn't sign that deal. We have another player on our team that you could make that arguement for.

How can you "not really care about that kind of stuff" regarding loyalty in a player?

Because I think the whole concept of loyalty in professional sports is just a silly, outdated notion. The Brewers offered Braun a contact that that thought was in their best interest and Braun accepted because he thought it was in his own best interest to do so. No one was being loyal to anyone and there's nothing wrong with that.

Community Moderator
He's not cocky, he's confident. He backs up his talk and is a good teamate. This is exactly the type of guy we need. Remember, although Prince is a leader, he's not a vocal leader. Braun gives this team a swagger. We need a guy like this!

Ask Arroyo about having loyalty to a ballclub.

I see Braun kind of like Aramis Ramierez. A guy you can't stand when you're facing him, but someone you love if he's on your team.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

...I think the whole concept of loyalty in professional sports is just a silly, outdated notion...

Loyalty has only been possible since free agency because players had no choice before. Big money in sports might not have completely worn down the admirable aspects of human nature.

He's not cocky, he's confident...

Isn't cockiness basically just being extremely confident? Someone can be so cocky that they are a total jerk; or, like Braun, they can have a surplus of confidence that helps them get the most out of their ability while still seeming to be reasonably level-headed.

Big money in sports might not have completely worn down the admirable aspects of human nature.

For any profession, I don't think it's a sin to try and maximize your earnings and I don't find it particularly admirable when a person wants to forgo a possibly higher salary to stay with his current employer. I don't see professional sports as different than any other job. Other people see professional sports as something special. We'll have to agree to disagree.

I don't see professional sports as different than any other job. Other people see professional sports as something special. We'll have to agree to disagree.

No disagreement, but most jobs outside of entertainment and politics don't have their public as a consideration.

Verified Member

I just keep thinking that if Braun continues at his career pace, and if we decide to trade him in his final year or so of his contract, the haul we are going to get will be incredible.

Hopefully he'll stay though.

3TO Apostle

Verified Member
He committed 8 years at a rate that nearly everyone thought and continues to think was quite low. The fact that he was willing to negotiate past his initial FA day at all shows some commitment and loyalty.

Was anyone offering him more at the time? What were his other options for locking in a lifetime of financial security?

Interesting how the author figures into his dislike of Braun equation that Braun might want to leave Milwaukee some day, and that he encourages you to root for Hart. Braun signed a long term deal that buys up all his arbitration and his first year of FA, and Hart has not agreed to any extended contract. Just saying.
Thats exactly what I was thinking as I was reading the article. Hey, Braun has anted up. I don't see Corey's money in the pot yet. Let's reward loyalty.

I've been wanting to comment on this for a few days and only now have had the chance.

If he wasn't a Brewer, I don't think I'd like him at all I may be in the minority but I don't think I'm the only one.
Russ isn't the only one. I'll admit to some ambivalence about Ryan. I can understand how other teams and fans dislike him (though I'd stop short of the cursing and slurs). If he weren't a Brewer, I think he'd give me fan fits, just like any Brewer killer (or 99% of the Cubs).
I think maybe some people are confusing cocky with confidence. Braun is incredibly confident and you can tell that by his body language and the way he carries himself.
I think the line between confidence and cockiness can be awfully thin, and it's in a different place for every fan. Normally, Ryan's level of confidence/cockiness would turn me off, just because of the kind of person I am. But somehow it doesn't seem like just cockiness. I don't know how to explain that. Other teams' fans don't see as much media coverage of Braun as we do, so they don't have the same perspective that we have.

I don't know if the Brewers have had such a combination of ability and personality in a single player before Ryan came along. It feels like he could be the guy who leads the Brewers to the "next level." It's exciting, but it also represents a fundamentally different way of thinking for me as a Brewers fan. I think that's why I'm ambivalent, but I'm working on getting used to the new era.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the link, Bikeage.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I have a feeling Lawrie is going to be similar to Braun, he's as unrelentingly confident as Braun is. Check out his interview here, and that's pretty much the norm. He expects to be in Milwaukee in less than 3 seasons, and he might do it.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I have not warmed up to Braun and I doubt I ever will. I like his bat and defense but I could do without the rest.

When he signed the long term contract, I thought it was premature on the Brewers part. These back/oblique injuries are doing nothing to alleviate those concerns. On the plus side, the contract isn't ridiculous in any one year. He could still become unhappy with his contract and raise a big stink before it is over. People change over the course of 8 years. Until he does complain about his contract, I will not worry about it.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

"I'm not even going to get into it at all. Not yet," Braun said. "Once my house gets furnished, I'll go kick it on the beach in Malibu for a while and be cool. Until then, I've got nothing to say."

Inspiring humility. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I think Hawing said it well about everyone having a different opinion on when confidence crosses over into cocky. I don't think Braun is a bad guy. He's just not the kind of professional athlete I find particularly appealing.

I will second Invader's post above. Braun has emerged as a team leader, and while he is likely a naturally confident guy, perhaps he feels that a leader is a guy who speaks out at times both on and off the field. I am also guessing that the Brewers are a bit more aware of how rattling the other team with a bit of cockiness can work to their advantage. Not only with intimidation, but I'll take the HBPs and perhaps getting into a pitcher's head in exchange for a bit of an attitude.

I don't think Braun is a bad guy. He's just not the kind of professional athlete I find particularly appealing.

So you're saying you're not one to 'kick it on the beach in Malibu for a while & be cool'?

Braun is just... well, he's like that friend you have that you know means well, but always seems to say the wrong thing at the wrong time. But chicks dig the longball, so...

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived