Brewer Fanatic

Braun story in Milwaukee's Decider

Thanks--I loved the article. And it's really true. it made me like him a little less (I never was a big fan, but still a fan until he leaves)but it's so funny and the guy knows himself, so ya gotta respect that. The only think I worry about a little, and I really don't think it'll come to fruition, is that he's alittle A-Rod like with the self-love/celebrity wannabe stuff.

Community Moderator
This guy put in to words, exactly how I've felt about Braun. He says and does all the right things but you can just tell he wants to be in the bright lights of the big stage. I don't blame him or think it's wrong but I've never totally opened up to him because of that. Hey I love him here and cheer for him like crazy but I just worry he will try to split even before his contract is up. We'll see what happens I guess. But like I said, right now it's great having him on our team and he seems like a pretty good teamate.

The Brewers have him under contract for six more years after this season, and it's an affordable one. It's not really worth even thinking about before then. He is playing well and seems to like it here...no need to fret about something so far into the future.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

2016 is a lifetime in professional sports these days. Maybe he'll even come back in 2025 for a couple year swan son ala Ken Griffey Jr. in Seattle. I say enjoy the ride.

Yes he's cocky as all get out, but he seems to be self aware which tones it down a little. He also seems to have great rapport with his teammates. I'm sure he enjoys the trappings of his emerging celebrity, but he takes his job and his team seriously. It's not like he was firing balls over Prince's head on purpose ala Gary Sheffield when he was struggling at third. The guy was out at Pepperdine all off season putting in full days shagging flies to get ready for left field. He's also the only one of our current team to put his name on the dotted line for a long term deal. In that sense he's the only one that's truly made the long term commitment to Milwaukee. Of course we know how it's going to end and eventually he will leave, but so will JJ Hardy and we all love that guy. Fielder and Hart haven't been willing to sign up either. Braun will likely outlast all of them as Brewers.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

Interesting how the author figures into his dislike of Braun equation that Braun might want to leave Milwaukee some day, and that he encourages you to root for Hart. Braun signed a long term deal that buys up all his arbitration and his first year of FA, and Hart has not agreed to any extended contract. Just saying.

Great article, but the guy's got it wrong if he thinks Hart will outlast Braun as a Brewer. Braun is an amazing hitter, big time power and high average, but middling plate discipline. Usually guys who hit like this have old player skills; slow footed, take a lot of walks, so so defense. He has the build and athletic ability to play a very long time.

I was too young then, but I'm sure there were people in the mid '80s predicting Robin Yount and Paul Molitor would leave eventually. Yount never did, though he surely had opportunity to...and Molitor only left because he was low balled out of town. Some guys do stick around for all or most of their careers with one team.

As far as Braun, I think his attitude was something this franchise has needed for a time. The Brewers have been the meek also-ran guys of the NL for years, up until about three seasons ago. He's a bit cocky, but not over the top with it, and he backs it up on the field. I don't see the real problem with it. And I agree with SoCal that we should just sit back and enjoy the ride. He's not going anywhere, anytime soon.

Maybe we should be talking about enjoying JJ, Corey, Prince, and Rickie while we can.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't necissarily think the guy was thinking Hart would last as long as Braun in Milwaukee. I think he likes that Hart is pretty mild with the media, doesn't come off as a pretty boy, or a cocky player. Just a guy that goes about his business.

If Braun was really looking to leave Milwaukee he wouldnt have signed a contract that bought out two free agency years. Its obvious by now that he is confident in his abilities yet he was willing to leave money on the table to stay here and be the face of the franchise for years to come.

I have a serious problem with anyone criticizing Braun when he has made a serious commitment to this organization. I truly believe that Mark A will pony up when the time comes to make sure that Braun is a career Brewer.

Players and people like Braun and Evan Longoria are rare in sports; true superstars that arent out chasing every dollar.

Simmons from ESPN has an article out that reminded me of Braun. He talked about hoe carefull most athleted are when they talk to the media, talking in eternal PR cliches when they do. That's Braun. He says exactly what the majority of fans wabt to hear. As long as he continues to hit, I don't really care what he says but his public persona is just so contrived.

I disagree with that statement about Braun talking in cliches. Braun is one of the few guys who don't talk in total cliches while being interviewed. Thats part of what has lead him to be viewed as cocky. The other part is that he is somewhat cocky obviously. But it seems worse because he is one of the few athelets who actually say what is on there mind and don't just spew cliche after cliche. Hes called himself and his teammates out twice atleast in the media, he had that whole thing about payback with the Pirates. All in all part of the reason I lover Ryan Braun is that he isn't afraid to say whats on his mind and upset some people, like most athelets are.

He speakis his mind when his hubris is getting the best of him (which is pretty often). And I'm not sure what motivates him to start (mildly) criticizing his teamates but many fans love to hear that kind of stuff. Most professional athletes steer completely clear of it because they don't want to risk upseting the other players.

I don't think Braun is some big jerk, or anything like that. I just think he's cocky and wants to give the fans what they want during interviews. He's done a very good job so far.

Russ, it kind of sounds like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth on this, if only a little bit. On one hand you say his persona is contrived and he spouts cliches, but on the other you say he often speaks his mind. Seems contradictory to me.

He does less of the generic robot interviews that most players give ("Yeah, we played hard and we ended up on top...we're just trying to do what we need to do to win," etc). He does some of that, but he doesn't sugarcoat things when he has to.

Verified Member
If Braun was really looking to leave Milwaukee he wouldnt have signed a contract that bought out two free agency years. Its obvious by now that he is confident in his abilities yet he was willing to leave money on the table to stay here ...

I think he was just being sensible and responsible. He merely ensured that no matter what happens he gets $45 million (?). Just as he said the money he supposedly left on the table was all based on projections, it was never a sure thing. Injuries happen and, in addition to that, there is no guarantee that his performance level will not fall off. Personally I think most athletes are fools for not taking a sure thing that will guarantee that they will always have enough money (that is assuming they are not....well...fools, when it comes to handling their money) just as soon as they have the opportunity to do so.

I certainly backed from my first post, which suggested that all he spouts are cliches. That isn't accurate., so let me try again.

He's known to be cocky, so he's certainly not following the athlete rule book when he's making comments about getting thrown or saying his team is playing like crap. That's his pride talking but fans love that kind of stuff anyway, so it's only going to make them like him more. His comments about his teamates have been mild enough, though, so it's been pretty harmless... so far.

And he's an intelligent guy, so he can avoid using the most standard cliches. Instead, he says basically the same things in a more eloquent manner. It makes for a good interview and again, fans love it. It just seems very measured, very PRish.

So all I'm saying is that I see people here drool over the way he portays himself to the public but it just doesn't do it for more. If he wasn't a Brewer, I don't think I'd like him at all I may be in the minority but I don't think I'm the only one.

So all I'm saying is that I see people here drool over the way he portays himself to the public

I think a part of that "drooling" is that it's coming from the first homegrown player in a long time to sign a long term commitment to the Brewers. If these comments were coming from say, Kendall, I don't think the reaction would be the same.

He is without a doubt my favorite Brewer player but I will admit he can be a bit cocky at times. I think it comes from the fact that he is good and backs it up. His so called cockiness isn't even really that noticiable, he doesn't do a dance, he gets along with his teammates, he doesn't show up in media reports making outlandish demands, doesn't get arrested, doesn't complain about getting paid. He does get mad at himself when he makes outs and he occasionally watches a HR a bit which I have no problem with when anyone does it.

It has been a long time since the Brewers have had a player with his talent level at such a young age, Prince is the only other one I would compare him to in the last 15 years. Maybe we as fans are just so used to rooting for guys who had nothing to really be cocky about. Jenkins was the only above average player here for so long and he was just that, above average, but not a superstar or potential superstar.

I hate when people call Ryan "cocky" just because he speaks his mind. So what if he is anyway? All athletes are to an extent. Cal Ripken Jr was said to be the biggest primadonna of them all.

Would you rather have Ryan give cliches every time? Give me a break.

Prince Fielder probably wants to leave - whining about making league minimum even though every single 1-3rd year player in the league makes league minimum suggests to me that he wants the biggest contract he can get. Ryan Braun hasn't done anything to suggest that he's in a hurry to leave - in fact, I'd take his signing an 8-year contract to mean the exact opposite. He'll be past his prime when that contract is up.

Maybe we as fans are just so used to rooting for guys who had nothing to really be cocky about.

Actually, I just don't like cocky professional athletes in general. I've prefered the kind of guy who doesn't take himself too seriously, which definitely isn't Braun. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif I recall Hart joking about Braun being his biggest fan, or something to that effect. I agree that Braun isn't nearly as cocky as some other athletes, but he just isn't my thing. I am a big of him hitting bombs with a Brewers uniform on though, so you'll never see me cheer against him.

I can appreciate why fans like the perceived loyalty of signing a that contact, I just don't really care about that kind of stuff.

It was a good article and funny. "High Fidelity" is one of my all-time favorite films, so I did enjoy the comparison. Braun is and has been my favorite players since he got called up May 25th of 2007. I developed a huge man crush on him in spring training of that season and it never went away.

I'm enjoying the ride with Ryan and will for at least 6 more years after this one. But I'm not one to think he will automatically leave Milwaukee after that deal is up. I don't think he would have ever signed that long term deal so early if he didn't like and want to stay in Milwaukee. And I believe in my heart Mark A. will do whatever it takes to keep Ryan here for his career ala Yount spending his entire career here. I know to me any many others it would be special to see that happen. And if it doesn't, I will never forget Braun and the new team he goes to would probably jump to my 2nd favorite team. In a way I think Ryan will stay because he wants this team and city to be his. And hopefully he can bring championship(s) to the Brew City.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I don't see how going to a bigger market helps him that much. All these guys sign with the Yankees, Red Sox, etc... and end up cogs in the machine. They go from the best player on their old team, to the #4 or 5 guy on the new team. I doubt the marketing opportunites are that much better unless you are one of the elite guys. He can easily live in CA or NY during the offseason and go to the clubs and fancy restaurants, but during the season, you are usually playing baseball at night. It's not like football or even basketball where you have a lot of downtime and nights off during the season.

I don't see how going to a bigger market helps him that much. All these guys sign with the Yankees, Red Sox, etc... and end up cogs in the machine. They go from the best player on their old team, to the #4 or 5 guy on the new team. I doubt the marketing opportunites are that much better unless you are one of the elite guys. He can easily live in CA or NY during the offseason and go to the clubs and fancy restaurants, but during the season, you are usually playing baseball at night. It's not like football or even basketball where you have a lot of downtime and nights off during the season.
Great points! And Braun already has his own clothing line and deals with Nike, Wilson, Sam Bat, Remington, AirTran and I think a few more. So its not like playing in Milwaukee has stopped him in that regard.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived