Brewer Fanatic

Ethical Question: Advancing on Injury

nsimps
lukevan wrote:

agreed Backup. I've been to exactly one bowling alley that had a left handed bowling ball. Now, I've had my own ball for a few years but it was nearly impossible to bowl with an alley ball back then.

I totally agree with both of you... I was in a leauge and forgot to bring my ball... arm started cramping so went righty.... still bowl'd pretty well.

You knew me as Myday2001.

It isn´t the only sport. In soccer, at least in professional soccer, if someone goes down with an injury the other team kicks the ball out of play so that the injured player can get medical attention.

The other team kicks the ball out of bounds because they expect it back when when play resumes. If that didn't happen I highly doubt they would give up the possession of the ball. I do agree with you that soccer is pretty sweet and I, for one, enjoy watching the premier leagues of Europe... MLS? Not so much, though if we had a team in Wisconsin I'd follow that too (but I suppose this is for a different thread).

Back on topic: If it is unethical to advance on an injury, wouldn't it also be unethical for a fielder to tag out an injured baserunner?

It is my opinion that you advance as far as you can, just like you tag the guy out if he tears his ACL rounding third. It does suck but it is part of the game.

I would love to hear you tell the NCAA women's softball team last year who carried the opponent who hit a game winning homerun and blew out her ACL rounding first that they have a loser mentality.

Had she torn her ACL trying to leg out a double they wouldn't have carried her to second base. They would've tagged her out.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

True, but after Cam drilled that Giants pitcher with a line drive and stopped at second, imagine if he had tried to go to third or whatever... That player now has a completely negative public perception to battle. Sometimes just because it's not against the rules, doesn't make it right.

Rp

Didn't that ball fly out of play? Which would mean that he had to stop at second base, plus if it didn't go out of play a defensive player is going to go get the ball and call time before he can advance to far.

Tbadder[/b]]Like wise, if a pitcher is ordered to throw at a hitter and horrors of horrors it hits him in the head killing him, I don't believe it is a moral dilemma and neither the pitcher or who ordered the pitch should be prosecuted--that's just life and it's anything but fair.

I gotta disagree with you on this one. I think the pitcher and the manager should be held responsible for their actions when it comes to an extreme situation like this. If both of them are knowingly and willfully participating in an act, outside of the norm, that could be detrimental to the health, well-being, or life of the batter, then they should accept the consequences of those actions. Whether they meant for death to occur or not, is a moot point. They purposefully participated in an act that was outside of the norm, that they knew could be potentially harmful. That's the basic definition of manslaughter i believe. The pitcher would be just as responsible because he has a moral and legal obligation to ignore any order, that is outside of the norm, that could result in said injury or death. If he chooses to follow the order then he accepts the legal consequences. Just because it is sports, doesn't mean that legality and morality don't come into play. Compare it to that hockey player a bunch of years back. I'm not a hockey guy, so I don't know the name, but I believe he either played for the penguins or it happened to someone for the penguins. And I think the guys name was McSorley or something like that. But anyways, he swung his stick at the guys head and hospitalized him. And i believe he was responsible both legally and morally for willfully putting another player at risk with an act outside of the norm of his sport.

Players back up every play so you really should never get an opportunity to take extra bases because of injuries. Most sports call plays dead after an injury so it doesn't matter if you are showing 'sportsmanship' or not.

It's not like soccer's a real sport anyway.

It's not a spectator sport but it certainly takes more of an athlete to play than baseball. Any sport that can be played while drinking beer or smoking a cigarette can hardly be called a sport. If a soccer player smoked he would barf up a lung.

Is this a joke??? BEING ABLE TO RUN FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME DOES NOT MAKE YOU AN ATHLETE!!! Anyone can do it with training, endurance DOES NOT EQUAL athleticism. I hate how people assume that because NFL players would beat MLB players in a marathon or bench press they are better athletes...they arent. The greatest basketball player of all-time sucked at baseball, and he 2 years of pro ball and did not improve at all.

Now, handling a soccer ball, dribbling, passing shooting, that takes a lot of talent, but I still dont think it is more difficult than hitting a 95 mph fastball after you just saw a 75 mph curveball.

topper09er wrote:.

Now, handling a soccer ball, dribbling, passing shooting, that takes a lot of talent, but I still dont think it is more difficult than hitting a 95 mph fastball after you just saw a 75 mph curveball.

Totally agree with you. I have the same problem with golfers. It takes tons of talent, hard work, and practice to be Tiger Woods. But it upset me when he was named male "athlete" of the year. Most talented, sure, I can dig that and give him props. But, unless the golf ball is coming at him at 83 miles an hour and starting at his chest and dropping below the knees, or he has a 275 lb defensive end ready to take his head off a half second after the ball leaves the tee, I can't call him the male "athlete" of the year. If he can drive the ball 300 yards down the middle in one of those scenarios, i will rescind my comment and give him the award till end of days.

Golf is not a contact sport, but it's a sport. The athleticism in golf isn't evident as much during the televised round that you're watching, it's in Tiger's 12 hour day of practice/training every day he isn't competing. Tiger is an athlete. If you look closely at the pro golfers lately, they aren't out of shape 30 to 40 year old white guys any more.

The girl's softball part of this conversation when they carried her around the bases shows great sportmanship. I would rather they let the umpire make a ruling, if she can't make it, she's out. Sports are supposed to be competitive, the other team is your enemy while you're playing. I also didn't like it a few years back when I think it was womens college basketball, the girl had a knee injury but was 1 point short of some all-time scoring record. The other team let her score and then exit the game. How much honor is there in that? Can that player really feel like they earned it? Because they didn't.

It is my opinion that you advance as far as you can, just like you tag the guy out if he tears his ACL rounding third. It does suck but it is part of the game.
I would love to hear you tell the NCAA women's softball team last year who carried the opponent who hit a game winning homerun and blew out her ACL rounding first that they have a loser mentality.
Can you show me where I said anything about "a loser mentality" in my post?

I wasn't talking about a homerun, I was talking about a Ken Griffey Jr.-like situation, and I'm sure that softball team would have tagged the girl out if the ball was in play It is my opinion that you don't stop running, just like if somebody gets hurt on the basepath they are most likely out (unless they can crawl back to the base). It has nothing to do with a "winner" or "loser" mentality, its how I was taught to play the game.

Archived