Brewer Fanatic

Time to have a serious discussion about our bench

Trying reading a few of the posts. The concern was who would play in the OF if Braun or Hart were injured. Its a real concern with Braun recent injury scare.

I understand that. I just don't know if you move Gamel THIS year because of it. I also really don't want to discuss injuries all that much because this team (the core) has been pretty healthy. I'd rather sign Edmonds if something serious happens.

Calling me out without reading the context of the posts is being a jerk. I quoted one of the posts I was referencing to make it easy for you to understand my response, so go back and look at it. You seem overly emotional to an otherwise civil and intelligent conversation.

You keep talking about moving Gamel. That's fine. I just don't know why he can't stick at 3B. I don't think I'm being a jerk, but I do apologize if it looks that way. I've seen Gamel quite a bit this year and I don't think there's any way he should be moved off of 3B. That's my opinion.

I think you need to go back to that thread and see who actually has been posting his errors as they happen. You need some serious fact checking. Maybe then you'll realize I'm not the only one concerned.

I know you're not the only one concerned. You do seem to be pushing him the most to be moved. In a way, it makes you the most concerned about the errors, which aren't happening right now.

If its so easy to find 850-950 OPS OF, then why is there so few of them? Last year the league average OPS in LF was just 785. 3B was 771, so its really not the difference you keep alluding to at all. Next time you get your undies in a bundle, do some fact checking. Trying to call me out will be a losing battle. I hope we can discuss The Brewers in a more civil manner in the future.

What? How am I not being civil? My point is pretty clear. IMO you'll have a harder time replacing Gamel's bat at 3B than you will at trying to find an OF in the same general 'league'. Before we go throwing around an OPS at a MLB level lets let the player play in the bigs. I don't see why you have to 'win' everything. If you want to move Gamel, that's fine. I just don't see the logic behind doing it in season for any reason. What facts support doing that?

A perfect example of finding an OF is last year. The Brewers had LaPorta and Gamel raking in AA. LaPorta could (maybe) play OF. Gamel could. You have two guys with big bats. The Brewers have proven they can find big bats. They maybe haven't proven they've always been able to find big bats in the draft combined with solid defense. Gamel could be one of the rare guys. They'll be able to find big bats...but eventually there won't be a place for all of them to play if we can't find a 3B, SS, 2B, or 1B in the future if certain things do or don't happen. I think I'm being civil X. I admit I do get annoyed when I feel there are posts knocking Gamel when most people have never seen him play. That does bother me because he's been making huge strides the past few weeks.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just looked at Lance nix's numbers so far this year. 52 ab's, .357 ABP, .635 SLG for an OPS of 992. He's LH hitter who is above average in the field and we had him in house until this year. Man couldn't we use that type of production now? I would much rather we kept him instead of Gwynn.

I know it's small sample but how much of a sample do we need to know he would have been better suited with the Brewers than Gwynn ever will be?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived