Brewer Fanatic

Indians call up Matt LaPorta

AJhawk50

LaPorta literally said, "What's in it for me?". How long does it take to sign 2 jerseys for charity? It's more than just the 2 jerseys, there was plenty of anecdotal evidence that Matt was a dbag... maybe his religious blog posts fooled some people but he didn't practice what he preached.

As far as the trade, I truly believe that some around here haven't gotten their minds around the concept and believe those of us that didn't like the trade are into hording prospects, and just don't accept the long term value argument at all. CC wasn't the only way we could have gotten into the playoffs last year, I don't feel it's fair to make that claim.

Sheets getting hurt was inevitable, that's what he does, he's been injury prone despite what some people will claim about him...

phxMILWfan said it best, "it was worth it to me". It's a matter of personal opinion, I don't see how there's right and wrong, just different takes on value, on what's important to each of us. Some got the most personal value from a playoff appearance, others would have preferred more tangible valuable in a long term rotation solution. There were plenty of teams that were tanking by July that had players on their teams that would have fit the bill and some would have gotten hurt making the trade look horrible, some would have stayed healthy. There were plenty of options and there's always more than one way to get home. Again the CC trade was 1 game in a 162 game season from being a clunker, we were on the outside looking in going into that last week, without a playoff appearance the trade wouldn't have stood up to historical review very well.

I would have felt better about the trade if Yo had been healthy, but if that had been the case would Melvin have even pulled the trigger? I posted repeatedly about my fear that Sheets would go down with an injury leaving us with just Sabathia or Halladay (depending on which thread a move was being discussed), it was very predictable.

It's all water under the bridge now, I'm not sorry LaPorta is gone, and my focus still remains the talent at the top of the rotation.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we need some perspective on this whole refuse to sign issue. Did he find out he was traded and as he was packing his stuff to leave, he has some stuff shoved in his face and it is assumed that he will sign it? I think it's a little understandable that he wasn't feeling charitable as he was leaving.
While that could be true, having his former teammates popping champagne corks after the trade speaks volumes to me. If he was a jerk in AA, then he would have been a jerk

in Milwaukee.

As for those that say trading LaPorta for one playoff appearance wasn't worth it; I say that the Brewers have to have one playoff appearance before they can have 2, 3, 4.... playoff appearances.

I believe it was Huntsville GM Buck Rogers that made his dislike of LaPorta public citing numerous examples from pictures to jerseys that Matt wouldn't sign, for a variety events.

edit. I overstated it a bit, it was just jerseys, from Buck's top 10 list this offseason.

#5: The Trade

You know the champagne that was on ice had we clinched the first half? Some of the players popped the corks and celebrated after the Brewers pulled the trigger on The Trade. Morale improved after that, players smiled more.

The other players popping the champagne corks when he was traded would seem to say the most. Wow.

Not making a trade is mortgaging the future. If we didn't maake a playoff push, we wouldn't have had the payroll to sign Hoffman. I know its hard at the beginning of this cycle to wait for draft picks, but after we do this type a few more times, and the draft picks from our 1st prospects for rental deal get closer to the majors, more will realize we've created a never ending cycle to replenish our talent.

I do appreciate that some wanted to deal for a longterm pitching solution, I wanted that at the time too. However, a pitcher who would have been a longterm solution wouldn't have been as dominant as CC, we wouldn't have made the playoffs, and we wouldn't have this years payroll, and we wouldn't have 2 extra quality draft picks next month.

As for LaPorta, he's a quality power hitter, but he's a DH, and we have 1 too manyof those already. TotalZone For The Minors shows him as a terrible OF. I want a quality defensive team that can support a pitching staff.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I hope you're being sarcastic. Mortgaging your future on a one and done in the play-offs isn't very intelligent.

I hated the trade when it happend, when we made the playoffs (lucky by the way) and I hate it now......dumb trade.

We got to the playoffs.....woo-hoo.....with no chance at actually making a realistic push to the World Series.

Same old Brewers.

Why wish good luck to this selfish loser? He's the guy who refused to sign a team picture the rest of his team signed for an MS fundraiser.

X, I know I usually don't agree with things you say about the minor league players, but with this I agree with you 100%. I usually don't use this site to bash on players from what I know about them from games and such, but LaPorta was/is not a favorite of mine. I seek autographs from a lot of the minor league guys for my own collection. I guess I can understand if I can't get an autograph as an 'adult' from these players. To be honest, I still have somewhat of a problem with it since in Huntsville and Nashville there might be 15 autograph requests (if that) at one home game. I grew up around the Timber Rattlers and there were a ton more kids asking for autographs than anything I've seen down here. LaPorta has said no a few times to me and I guess as I said I respect that. He's the only player to really do that to me. I only asked once at maybe four games so it's not a huge deal.I h

My main point here is I went to a game with family and friends last summer and some friends had some young kids/baseball fans (around 5 - 9 years old). We pretty much made the drive to Huntsville just for the game. Nothing against Huntsville, but there's not a ton to do there. I guess it was just a nice day trip. We got to the game early and the kids all had baseballs and were excited to get autographs...the only guy that didn't sign was LaPorta. I told the kids his name and such and he said 'Later'...well 'Later' never came. I think this is a joke. We were the only people asking for his autograph. He comes over and signs 4 baseballs and he's done. The 'main guys' (Gamel, Escobar, and Salome) have always signed when able. Gamel actually is one of the nicest guys I've came across. LaPorta, on the other hand, is a joke. I believe he is/was a very religious person and all that. I don't want to get political, but from X's post and what I've experienced I think this guy is somewhat of a fraud. So you have 4 kids asking for an autograph and you say no? Why? You get paid to play a game. In Huntsville and Nashville you barely get asked for an autograph. At least Gamel, Escobar, and Salome are fan friendly. All three of them are class acts and I wish them the best. Again, I hate to throw the guy under the bust, but it's been known for awhile that LaPorta isn't all that fan friendly.

LaPorta literally said, "What's in it for me?". How long does it take to sign 2 jerseys for charity?

The guy was just treated like property. Why would he believe the clubhouse manager? The guy could have wanted to have the stuff signed so he could sell it himself. BTW, do we really know that LaPorta "literally" said this? Is this on tape somewhere? Or is this what someone is saying that he said?

all water under the bridge now, I'm not sorry LaPorta is gone, and my focus still remains the talent at the top of the rotation.

I think this is a good way to look at it at this point. This new info about LaPorta doesn't exactly change my opinion that the trade was well worth it, though. I guess I don't get why this is all only coming out now, though. I mean...I can't fathom the motivation for a MiLB guy being so stingy with autographs. Just seems very prima donna type behavior.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The information isn't new, it was just in the minor league forum which doesn't get nearly the run the major league forum does for obvious reasons. I quoted exactly what Rogers wrote, and he put quotes around it.

Treated like a piece of property? Because he was traded? That's a pretty cynical view of life, and generally the clubhouse guys have the best relationships with the players, they work day to day with each other and have a measure of trust. I mostly familiar with the NFL, but dhonks might weight in as he's actually been in the clubhouse

Ignore the first hand reports and Buck Rogers if you wish, the evidence is right there in front of you for objective analysis. I'm not going to try to convince anyone because people are going to believe what they want to believe, moon landings or otherwise, it's all pretty much the same.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

LP was really nice while signing an autograph for me last month in Maryvale. He was very friendly and wasn't afraid to joke around. I hope LP turns into a Hall of Famer to make my baseball worth a lot of money. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Treated like a piece of property? Because he was traded? That's a pretty cynical view of life

Actually, that's the literal definition of his value to the Brewers. He was the property of the Brewers. He became the property of the Indians. How is that cynical?

Ignore the first hand reports and Buck Rogers if you wish, the evidence is right there in front of you for objective analysis. I'm not going to try to convince anyone because people are going to believe what they want to believe, moon landings or otherwise, it's all pretty much the same.

I'm not ignoring it. If I was ignoring it, I wouldn't be questioning it. I'm asking for verification. You said he "literally" said it. The only way to know that is if we have verification of it. We have the telling of a story. That's not "literal". By me asking for further evidence, I'm trying to be objective. One person's telling of a story isn't objective, it is subjective. As far as comparing this to moon landings, there is no basis for that. They are in no way comparable.

Treated like a piece of property? Because he was traded? That's a pretty cynical view of life

Actually, that's the literal definition of his value to the Brewers. He was the property of the Brewers. He became the property of the Indians. How is that cynical?

But why in the world would he even be upset about the trade? It's not like LaPorta grew up in Wisconsin as a lifelong Brewers fan and had his dream of playing for his favorite team taken away. His goal was to get called up to The Show - this was equally likely to happen in Milwaukee or Cleveland as long as he raked in the minors. If he were traded to an organization where his progress was blocked, it would be a different story, but playing for an AL franchise actually helps him because of the designated hitter.

Verified Member

On baseball tonight Gammons was just talking about how great of guy LaPorta is. I think people are making to big of deal over that. He may not be perfect, but nobody is. I have no problem with him being traded, but trading him for 0.5 years is a desperate move. Trade him for a player who has a chance to help long term.

Community Moderator

The draft pick argument is very weak especially since the Yankees pick is now a 2nd.

2nd round picks have never become good prospects before? If one of the two picks becomes as good a prospect as LaPorta was, the Brewers win the trade in the long run.

On baseball tonight Gammons was just talking about how great of guy LaPorta is.

Doesn't Gammons talk about how every young ballplayer is a wonderful person, though?

On baseball tonight Gammons was just talking about how great of guy LaPorta is. I think people are making to big of deal over that. He may not be perfect, but nobody is. I have no problem with him being traded, but trading him for 0.5 years is a desperate move. Trade him for a player who has a chance to help long term.

When you have a shot at the playoffs you take it because you never know what will happen. For instance your star LFer might develop a chronic back injury that makes him miss 60 games a year...

This would be my 2 cents.

What CC Sabathia did for us last summer was amazing. He brought the entire city of Milwaukee on a truly magical ride. From his first pitch (With the crowd chanting LETS GO CC, and I still get goosebumps) to the final double play of the regular season. He did something that I doubt any of us will ever see again. We don't make the playoffs last year if we dont have him. And if we don't have him it would be just another wasted year in Milwaukee. We would be going on year 27 of not making the playoffs. CC made Milwaukee relevant again. And we had just as much chance to win the whole thing as any team does. We just happend to run into the best team in baseball the first round. And I would hardley call winning 90 games and making the playoffs "lucky". It was worth it in my personal opinion.

Also, when did Matt LaPorta turn into Albert Pujols? He has light tower power but he is going to strike out alot and plays horrible, horrible defense. And where exactly did people want to play him in Milwaukee? We really had no place for him this year.

Verified Member
When you have a shot at the playoffs you take it because you never know what will happen. For instance your star LFer might develop a chronic back injury that makes him miss 60 games a year...

Poor logic. When managing a team or making moves for the future it is all about dealing with probability. Based on our roster makeup, there was no reason to think last year was our only realistic playoff chance. We should have a chance for awhile. This is not the Brewers from the 1990's. We had a lot of young talent in the majors and minors.

And in your case if our star LFer would develop a chronic back injury it sure would be nice to be able to plug LaPorta in that spot so we would still possibly have a plus bat out there.

but trading him for 0.5 years is a desperate move. Trade him for a player who has a chance to help long term.

Desperation move? Come on...we traded him for the reigning AL Cy Young winner. How is that desperation? What long term pitcher was out there that the Brewers could have realistically gotten for the same package they offered Cleveland? Also, Sabathia was the best starting pitcher in all of baseball in the second half of the season. Anything less and we probably would have missed the post-season, yet again. Anyway, debating this trade any further is kind of futile...I think both sides have made plenty of compelling arguments on both sides of the issue.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Based on our roster makeup, there was no reason to think last year was our only realistic playoff chance.

Absolutely, but isn't there some intangible value to the Sabathia deal? His acquisition drove attendance in 2008, and the playoff appearance certainly impacts attendance this year, too. Plus, it's hard to know for certain or quantify it, but what would have the consequences been if the Brewers missed the playoffs last season?

I guess I'm being a little over dramatic with the "mortgaging our future" line, however, I still feel (my opinion obviously) we gave up way to much for the OPPORTUNITY to make the playoffs. Remember, we got a lot of help in getting to the playoffs last year. What if we didn't make it? Would it have been worth it then or just because we made it?

I don't care one bit about Laporta's attitude. I'm sure he's a lot better than many of you are pointing out. I think Manny Ramirez has a horrible attitude too but I'd take his stick in the line-up every day and twice on Sunday's. He also has won a couple of World Series trophies. (Not saying Laporta is Manny either, just a great prospect with a possible great future.)

Attitudes are WAY overrated in baseball. Give me guys who can hit.

I guess I'm being a little over dramatic with the "mortgaging our future" line, however, I still feel (my opinion obviously) we gave up way to much for the OPPORTUNITY to make the playoffs. Remember, we got a lot of help in getting to the playoffs last year. What if we didn't make it? Would it have been worth it then or just because we made it?

I don't care one bit about Laporta's attitude. I'm sure he's a lot better than many of you are pointing out. I think Manny Ramirez has a horrible attitude too but I'd take his stick in the line-up every day and twice on Sunday's. He also has won a couple of World Series trophies. (Not saying Laporta is Manny either, just a great prospect with a possible great future.)

Attitudes are WAY overrated in baseball. Give me guys who can hit.

What if we had won the World Series? Would it have been worth it then?

Last summer was the greatest 2 and a half months of my life. Once your in the playoffs, anything can happen, I think the Cards and Marlins have shown that.

Doug had the guts to go for it, and I love him for it. I'm sick and tired of being the same old Brewers who just try and win by hoarding prospects. At some point the law of diminishing returns comes into play. We needed CC and we got him. It didn't get us to our ultimate goal but we took a chance.

Archived