Brewer Fanatic

Renaming Pro Sports Teams

jaybird2001wi

I've never gotten why the Woodchucks aren't be called "The Wausau Woodchucks." Sounds fine, and I somehow doubt people from all over the state are driving in to see their games. Probably could say the same thing about the Timber Rattlers (which is also kind of a silly name).

"New England Patriots" is another one of such a dubious nature.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Verified Member
I agree that some sports nicknames don't make sense and some are too general, but I'd like to see some other suggestions listed to replace them. I think it's harder than we might think to come up with good nicknames, especially when concerned that the name might affect ticket sales to your new fan base.

The New England Patriots were renamed from Boston Patriots when they moved out to Foxborough, which is 30 or so miles from Boston. Being that they're away from Boston proper and that they represent fans in several states, I don't have a problem with this name.

Golden State Warriors came when the team moved from San Francisco to Oakland. The name is too weird for my taste, though.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The Patriots discussed moving from Massachusetts to Connecticut before they settled on constructing Gillette Stadium in Foxborough. Plus, I've noticed that the Red Sox have an extremely loyal following in RI, VT, NH, and ME, not to mention in MA. You see a lot of license plates from those states in the parking lots and on the streets during Red Sox games. So, I definitely think the New England Patriots nickname is appropriate for the region.

Archived