Brewer Fanatic

2009-05-01 Diamondbacks (Garland) at Brewers (Parra): 7:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-2]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the problem is if the call was "foul" and then it is reviewed and reversed, they would have to guess what should have happened.

True, the NFL still has this problem, but they just make some plays unchallengable, which often begs the question then why the refs don't call some plays in a fashion that can be challenged instead. Instant replay isn't perfect in the NFL either.

This is why I'm a 100% supporter of instant replay in all cases. The less power you give these mistake prone umpires, the better. Take this one to Selig, Melvin. It's not like we're whining about nothing here. There is visual proof that it was foul. Why not use the proof to get the proper outcome?

I think the problem is if the call was "foul" and then it is reviewed and reversed, they would have to guess what should have happened.

True, the NFL still has this problem, but they just make some plays unchallengable, which often begs the question then why the refs don't call some plays in a fashion that can be challenged instead. Instant replay isn't perfect in the NFL either.

Probably just easiest to make it a Ground Rule Double.

This is why I'm a 100% supporter of instant replay in all cases. The less power you give these mistake prone umpires, the better. Take this one to Selig, Melvin. It's not like we're whining about nothing here. There is visual proof that it was foul. Why not use the proof to get the proper outcome?
There was visual proof a couple times in the Cubs series. We lost one or two of the games in that series directly from an umpire mistake, like when the umpire called a Cub safe at first on what should have been a double play. And the same thing occurred in Philly on what should have been the last out of the game. Fortunately we ended up prevailing. But the umpires overall this season have been horrible in the favor of our opponents. Should be about 14-8 in all fairness. Human error should be taken out of the game as much as possible, not remain to protect traditions that have angered fans and cheated teams over the years when they've occurred. I don't see what would be so difficult of having 2 challenges like in football, with a 3rd dependent upon the success of the 1st two. Only a small minority resent instant replay in the NFL, and the rest of the sane people appreciate that it's made outcomes more just. Isn't that's what sport is about.....determining who is the most meritorious between the lines?

Verified Member
Or just take the hit away and go back to the count where it was a foul ball. Seems simple to me.

Ah, a "do-over" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

That, and most rule changes typically favor offense.

Don't worry, we'll get some bad calls in our favor before its all over.

Forgettable night. Uggh...I need a drink.

Let's steal one from Haren tomorrow. Maybe that up will see how bad his call was on SportsCenter and cut us some slack.

This assume SportsCenter will show Brewer highlights.
You may run like Mays...

Yeah, surprised to not see ESPN make a bigger deal about a possible replay issue. I'm sure if this was in a Yankees game, they would have been talking about this non-stop.

I have a hard time getting too mad about this myself. This will be the kind of thing where something later in the season will break the Brewers' way. The way the offense was playing last night, I guess I never felt confident they were going to pull the win out to begin with. Of course, you just hate to lose when the other team doesn't really end up beating you. Hopefully they can just bounce back and get a win back tonight.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Community Moderator
Really, this is one of the persistent problems with MLB- the NBA, NFL, NCAAFB, etc have all acknowledged that in today's game, there are simply times when the officials aren't able to be in a position to make a correct call, due to the speed of the game, blocked sight lines, or whatever and have replay as a fall-back to make things right. MLB is plagued by not only umpires that simply don't have the ability in some cases to make the call from a few hundred feet away, but also the stunning ego and fragility of the umpires and their absolutely stunning refusal to acknowledge that they can and sometimes do get calls very, very wrong.

At the very least you would expect the umpiring crew to get together and see if any of the other umpires had a better view and try to get tit right. Just like not checking with the base umpires on a check swing.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived