Brewer Fanatic

Prospect Lambertus tests positive -- Latest: Comments (and non-comments) from the Brewers

My buddy told me about this and to be honest, I came here first looking for discussion about it. I honestly can't find anything on it here or on the JS Online blog. There is an article on brewers.com that I just found. (Not sure why I didn't look there first) Any ways, feel free to delete this if there is already discussion I just figured it was pretty relevant info if there wasn't already a thread.

Link

The Brewers tacked on their own 10-game suspension, according to general manager Doug Melvin. Lambertus, a 20-year-old right-hander who had been pitching for Class A Wisconsin, tested positive for metabolites of Boldenone, an anabolic steroid developed for veterinary use, mostly for the treatment of horses, in violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

I like that the Crew is adding another 10 games.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The note and the discussion actually fell within our Transaction thread. When the suspension was first announced, there was no indication why, so it all got updated there. Since it's probably our most-read thread, just as well this time around, but thanks.

We'll leave this thread open in case this specific item is to be discussed further beyond what was in the linked thread above.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Brett Christopherson column: Error of Lambertus' way tough to understand

Appleton Post-Crescent

Why? That's what Tim Hewes would like to know, too. Make that love to know.

Why, in this age of education and scrutiny and scorn, would an athlete even begin to think about dabbling with a performance-enhancing drug? Or any drug for that matter?

Why would they risk ruining a career?

"There are probably lots of reasons why they do it," Hewes, employee assistance director with the Milwaukee Brewers, said prior to the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers' 6-4 Midwest League setback to Lansing on Monday at Fox Cities Stadium.

"Trying to find an edge. It's different for each guy. But it's something they don't think is a reality, and they're going to get bagged if that's the road they go down."

Rattlers hurler Pedro Lambertus decided to traverse that path. And last week, the 20-year-old right-hander found himself on the receiving end of a verbal beanball - one tossed by Major League Baseball officials who informed the kid of his 50-game suspension.

In technical terms, Lambertus reportedly tested positive for metabolites of Boldenone, an anabolic steroid that violates the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

In layman's terms, he had something flowing through his body that didn't belong and screwed up. Big time.

And just to make sure all on board understood the severity of his error, the Brewers - Wisconsin's major league parent club - added 10 more games to the suspension.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Lambertus was signed by Milwaukee as a non-drafted free agent in September of 2006 and appeared in three games this season with the Rattlers, going 0-1 with three strikeouts, three walks, one save and a 4.91 ERA in 3 2/3 innings.

His bio now includes a damaged reputation, not to mention sports' version of the scarlet letter.

So again … why?

"The players are fully informed what the situation is, what they can and can't do and what they shouldn't be messing around with," said Hewes, who soon hopes to check in with Lambertus at the Brewers' spring training complex in Phoenix. "It's very disappointing because they are really without any excuse."

He would know, since his job involves educating players on ways to steer clear of the potholes they might encounter, so relaying the dangers and reinforcing the stupidity of toying with drugs A, B and C certainly falls under his watch.

Hewes is part of an army of presenters who take time out of the players' spring training preparation to focus on that very topic. And as part of those presentations, the Brewers' team physician is on hand to discuss nutritional supplements and the major league and minor league drug treatment and prevention program.

Also, Hewes said every new player to the organization is required to watch a video that outlines the specifics of baseball's drug policy, reminds again of the banned substances and details the penalties that will be imposed when tested positive.

"So every player, even at this level and in their short careers so far, have had multiple times in which they've heard the rules and regulations," he said. "Major League Baseball does a random test (on minor leaguers) during spring training on a certain percentage of our players, which I believe (Lambertus) was part of.

"And we do our own testing. The Brewers do their own additional testing, just so that we feel we're being very proactive and identifying things."

So again … why?

"They are educated in spring training," said Rattlers manager Jeff Isom, who expects Lambertus to return to the Wisconsin roster upon the conclusion of the suspension. "And through the season, our strength and conditioning staff will have talks all the time about what you can and can't take. You hope that they do get something out of (what happened to Lambertus) - that they see that baseball's not going to joke around if you are doing something.

"And if there is that something that comes in their minds, that they'll think, 'Well, this is what happened to one of my teammates, and this will happen to me.' You hope they learn from it."

Rattlers pitcher Evan Frederickson, acting on an organizational directive to decline comment on the situation, could only say those in the clubhouse were shocked by the news and fully realize the consequences that come in making the wrong choice.

"If you do it, you're going to get caught," the 22-year-old left-hander said. "That's all there is to it."

So once more … why?

Isom only shook his head as he propped his leg on the concrete ledge of the Rattlers' dugout wall and pondered a question that no longer should need to be asked.

He didn't ... couldn't ... utter a word.

And that said a lot.

Archived