Brewer Fanatic

2009-04-29 Pirates (Snell) at Brewers (Gallardo) 12:05 PM CDT [Brewers win, 1-0]

crewcrazy
How many 1-0 games in post-DH MLB history have been won by a homerun by the starting pitcher? I'm sure it's not completely rare but there still can't be altogether too many.

I'd also be willing to bet that this is the latest in the game that it's been done in years.

They had a graphic on MLB network that showed the last 5 times it had happened. Last one was in 2002 by Odalis Perez. After that it was like 1983 and then the 5th on the list was in the 60s. So it is pretty rare.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yo is awesome, and if he had been ready to go this way in October last year that could have been awesome. If parra really gets it going to match his stuff our rotation is pretty competitive with a lot of teams.

Can we play the Pirates every day? Please?

Amazing job by Yo this afternoon. Perhaps Ken Rosenthal was onto something in his preseason predictions. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Grow up. You got rooked by one of the best young pitchers in the game. Deal with it

I would recommend going to brewers.com and watching the video highlights of Yo's strikeouts today. There were certainly some called third strikes that weren't clearly in the zone. Umps like getaway days and it wouldn't be shocking to make some calls that favor a quicker game.

Sour grapes, Adam?

Go talk to the home-plate umpire. He seemed to like [Yo]. See what he has to say about it. Old Marty back there, he was on his game today.

Grow up. You got rooked by one of the best young pitchers in the game. Deal with it.

To be fair, a lot of folks here were commenting on how big the zone seemed for Yo at times, and looking at the highlights there, a few of the ring-ups (esp. for LaRoche and Vazquez) were a little questionable.

Whatever though--Yo was on.

Yo just put up the second best game score in the majors so far this year, 88, would've been a top 10 score for the NL for all of last year too.
Yo might be good, but is he Anundsen good? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Anundsen, Evan Brevard 9.0 0 0 0 1 10 0 1.44 (W, 2-2) Game Score: 96

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It sucks when an umpire has a large or small zone but it is part of the game and it generally holds true for both sides. It helped Snell as much as Gallardo so I don't really see what the complaints are about. Maybe if the Pirates could lay off the curve bounced 3 feet in front of the plate they would do a little better, I know at least 2 guys struck out on that one http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Yeah, it was the same strike zone for each side. If you look at his strike zone on gameday, you would see that on the right handed hitters side he was allowing pitches off the corner that were called strikes and he was tight on the left handed hitters side. It was called the exact same both ways. Snell got his fair share of calls on that corner.

So I figure, as long as Gallardo's ERA finishes below 3.6 this season, he'll probably have been a more valuable player to this ballclub than Sheets was with his 3.09 ERA last season.

BP covered this topic:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7588

According to BP, it's about a 7 run difference per season. Assuming a 220 IP season, that's about .3 runs per 9 innings. That's huge, obviously.

Archived