Brewer Fanatic

Fight Night

jakesdaddio
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I stand corrected (as usual). And the guy on the Pirate's board that called Braun a "pip-squeak" must not have ever seen that pic. Braun is just ripped!

Yeah, I didn't even know how to react when they said they can't take him seriously when he gets in the box.

The sad thing is, both sites I looked at had similar stuff. Pirates fans, at least the ones represented on those two sites, have a serious hatred for the Brewers. Comments ranging from how much they hate this team, how fat Prince is, a lot of unkind words said about Braun, even that the fans in the stands are ugly, and one genius talking about how terrible BA and Rock were.

I saw one guy complaining about how Rock was saying they clearly threw at Braun. They did. And their fans are even calling it payback for last year, so what's the problem with Rock pointing out the obvious if they agree there was intent? Then again, I don't know if there is that much intelligent discussion going on over there anyways considering there was a thread concerning rain and a potential rainout in Milwaukee.....

Before reading that site I kinda felt bad for Pirates fans, not anymore, owning them is even sweeter now.

They're just jealous of the Brewers at this point. It used to be the two teams were co-bottom dwellers in the division...I remember how adamant they were about stopping the Brewers from getting a winning record back in '05, and they were at least partly successful in that. Now the Brewers have moved so far ahead of them as a franchise it's not even funny anymore.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Hearing talk about the classy George Brett only makes me think of the raging Hulkamania outburst he had during the pine tar game vs. the Yankees. People get upset about batters raising their arms after hitting bombs now and George Brett is called classy for having a meltdown over an umpires negating his HR.

Well, usually the complaints about sportsmanship (or lack thereof) tend to be pretty one sided. I remember when the Cardinals were mad at the Brewers about something last year (might have been Braun or Fielder related), and then they were whipping their helmets around and breaking bats because they were losing.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't understand why the Brewers "untuckem" thing is so offensive to other teams. Every other teams announcers have told the Cameron's Dad story. How can that upset you? I think it really is jealousy and lack of intelligence.

I don't know, I guess I'm a little older than many of the posters on this site. I grew up watching guys like Yount, Brett, Gwynn, etc. I thought all these guys were very classy in the way they conducted themselves on and off the field. I can't see any of them ever having made comments like the ones Braun has made over the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Part of it is certainly the amount of access fans now have. Blogging imho has completely changed the job of a beat writer. I'm sure (as MJ alludes to re: Brett) the 'classic' ballplayers we grew up watching had their share of ugly moments and/or questionable statements... but now we don't see the comments scroll across ESPN's bottom line 20 minutes after they're uttered.

But to get back to Braun, what surprised me was the way he solicited Commisioner Selig's attention. If I'm a player that would have even the slightest amount of culpability should a retaliatory beanball war break out, the last thing I want to do is call the commisioner's attention to me by dropping his name & telling him 'something's gonna happen'

I don't understand why the Brewers "untuckem" thing is so offensive to other teams. Every other teams announcers have told the Cameron's Dad story. How can that upset you? I think it really is jealousy and lack of intelligence.

I don't get it either. Something tells me the people who are stronly opposed to it are the same ones (like PIT's FSN announcing tandem... ugh) that ramble on & on about 'playing the game the right way', 'doing the little things', 'battling/scrapping/gritting/Eckstein-ing'

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Honestly I do have some respect for the organization as they seem to be trying to do things the right way. Obviously their scouting department hasn't had the success ours has but there does seem to be similar approaches from the front offices. For that reason I did feel sorry for them because they have had some bad luck and always kind of rooted for them to a certain extent. Honestly though reading those comments make it hard to do that.

Maybe if they were at least having a reasonable discussion about their thoughts on why Braun should have been plunked it would be different. I wouldn't agree but it would be nice to at least read something of substance. But there is nothing there that suggests anything more than knuckle dragging personal attacks. And its not even a single bad apple, its every poster there. I would say being the dredge of the Central makes one feel that way, but we were that at one point and I don't think that we sunk to that level.

It really makes me thankful for Brewerfan. It also makes me want to maim them everytime we face them and have Braun do somersaults around the bases every time he homers.

I think it's a safe bet that at least some players read these forums. I can't imagine any of the Pirates' players being any too thrilled about being associated with that bunch. What an embarassment.

I just feel bad for them. 16 years of losing baseball is just completely unacceptable as a franchise. The Pittsburgh metro area has a population of 2.35M, while Milwaukee's is 1.5M (with the Cubs in close vicinity). It seems like the people in question here are just a bunch of angry, bitter fans who are tired of losing.

They should have hired Jack Z to be their GM when they had the chance.

I have a feeling this is all gonna come up again in St. Louis in a couple weeks. I hope the Brewers realize the futility of getting in these types of fights and just take the inevitable bean ball coming from LaRussa and Co.

I have a feeling this is all gonna come up again in St. Louis in a couple weeks. I hope the Brewers realize the futility of getting in these types of fights and just take the inevitable bean ball coming from LaRussa and Co.

Wait what am I missing? Why are they getting beaned?

Wait what am I missing? Why are they getting beaned?

Because TLR is "hard-nosed"

The Cardinals apparently didn't care for Braun's or Billy Hall's reactions after hitting huge homers in the 4 game sweep at New Busch last July...a lot of whining from Pujols and the Cards' beat writer, and I'll still see "Drill Bill" photoshops now and again from Cards' fans

Because TLR is "hard-nosed"

The Cardinals apparently didn't care for Braun's or Billy Hall's reactions after hitting huge homers in the 4 game sweep at New Busch last July...a lot of whining from Pujols and the Cards' beat writer, and I'll still see "Drill Bill" photoshops now and again from Cards' fans

Also, they didn't care for the untuckem thing. But much like the Pirates' anger, it all has to do with getting owned by the Brewers last year. It's not much fun when the beat upon becomes the beater.

I'm happy the Crew just let it slide this series. The games were too close to put extra guys on. Although if one of their future meetings gets lop-sided one way or another I can see some form of retaliation. To me it was just too obvious. A fastball in the middle of the back of your best player.

On a side note, I really dislike the way most umpiring crews handle these situations. They let an obvious hit batter slide and then the first time the opposing pitcher comes inside and nicks a batter warnings are issued and that pitcher is penalized for the first guy who blatantly drilled someone and he can't pitch inside anymore.

I like Macha's attitude the whole beanball war. TLR played Yost for a chump last year, suckering him into a beanball. Macha's attitude is basically "thank you for the free baserunner". I know players might feel "unprotected", but winning is better than justice.
I am sorry to disagree with everyone who takes the approach that they don't want retaliation, sorry but if we don't retaliate we will have a hitter hurt because they are going to keep on getting drilled. All it takes is one good fastball in the back, get tossed and say..."hey we are not going to allow pitchers to continue to hit Braun and Fielder square in the back" We risk a more serious injury by allowing opposing pitchers to drill Braun and Prince than if we retaliate and try to stop it!

Archived