Brewer Fanatic

Fight Night

jakesdaddio
This will not end well.

The Astros had (have?) issue with Braun as well...I know he's the golden boy around here and people will say they "love his attitude" but I kinda wish he would keep things a little more...."internalized."

But he is right in this instance, he didn't hot dog the HR or anything. There really was no reason to plunk him, heck maybe if Rickie had hotdogged his HR the prior inning it would have made sense but no one on the Crew showed anyone up on the Pirates

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love this as well, not only does it make for great entertainment, but Braun has a legitimate gripe. He does tend to, to put it nicely, take his time out of the box after he jacks one, but in the HR yesterday he put his head down and ran. "We're the wrong team to mess with." How can you not love this guy?

I don't want to see anyone get hurt. Normally I don't like the hitter to show up the pitcher, and Braun definitely did not do that yesterday, but I'd love to see him crush one tonight and do a somersault on home plate. I'll settle for a Kart-Wheel where his foot comes down on the plate too.

The Astros had (have?) issue with Braun as well...I know he's the golden boy around here and people will say they "love his attitude" but I kinda wish he would keep things a little more...."internalized."

Ya, but he deserved what he got from the Astros. That was the "pimp walk" homer I believe. Everyone knew he was getting plunked in the next series for that. He did and that was the end of it.

I don't think the two situations are comparable.

What about the walk-off grand slam from last year? He definitely celebrated around all the bases then. I know the Pirates don't exactly know how that feels or anything, but I think that was the reason behind last night.

What about the walk-off grand slam from last year? He definitely celebrated around all the bases then. I know the Pirates don't exactly know how that feels or anything, but I think that was the reason behind last night.

If they did then thats just stupid. That was playoff atmosphere baseball in late September and Braun hit an absolute no doubter that won the game in the bottom of the 10th to keep them alive in the playoff race. Anyone in their right mind would have celebrated the way Braun did.

If that really is the case, the Pirates are the dumbest people alive. That was a game winning homer in the middle of a pennant race. Braun should have been able to do whatever the heck he wanted in that situation.

Interesting that Braun thinks Karstens was forced to do it, Karstens did look pretty uncomfortable after the pitch and really tried not to make eye contact with him. Sort of awkward

I realize that I am not the one being drilled by 90 mph fastballs, but I am more interested in returning to the postseason rather than risking injuries or suspensions from a bean ball war or fight. If Brewers batters get hit by a pitch, they should take their base and then score. Hurt the opponent on the scoreboard instead. Leave the shenanigans to clowns like Ned Yost.

Found some interesting stuff on a Pirates board. They seem to think the they threw at Braun because of the homerun last year. Their game thread from last night is even titled "The Braun Payback Game..." Kinda pathetic I think, I guess when you are an irrelevant team you need to grasp for straws for something to get fired up about. That was a huge homerun at a huge time, celebrate it up Braun. Step your game up Pitts if you have a problem with it.

Seeing their site made me appreciate this site, they have some pretty classless and pathetic threads and comments. Check out these gems:

http://www.thebuccosforum...2/YaBB.pl?num=1240958386

http://www.thebuccosforum...2/YaBB.pl?num=1240880936

Here's that game thread:

http://www.thebuccosforum...2/YaBB.pl?num=1240875368

Classy guys over there. Braun's right, he did nothing wrong on that homer, and if they threw at him over that huge homerun in a playoff race, they are pathetic.

Wow, I know that was message board banter (No one would probably talk like that face to face) but they showed such little intelligence, class, and overall knowledge of the game. I know they are bitter about Braun, which is fine, but I can't imagine a true Pirate fan would appreciate being represented by that site.

I was going to make a comparison of this site and that site, but that site doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as this site.

Makes me glad that the Crew can keep winning games amidst this mess.

I appreciate Braun's abilities on the field and as a Brewer fan I appreciate that he signed on long term with the Brewers. I hope we never have to hear him complain about how unfair his contract is. I get the feeling we won't.

However, sometimes the comments he makes causes me to cringe. A couple of weeks ago he was calling out the pitchers to step up and pull their weight, now this. This comment is kind of directed at the pitchers as well in that he expects them to retaliate on his behalf.

I don't know, I guess I'm a little older than many of the posters on this site. I grew up watching guys like Yount, Brett, Gwynn, etc. I thought all these guys were very classy in the way they conducted themselves on and off the field. I can't see any of them ever having made comments like the ones Braun has made over the last 2 or 3 weeks.

It's not so much whether I feel that retaliating is right or wrong, but if you are going to do it, then just do it. Don't give the other team all sorts of bulletin board material by shooting your mouth off to the media.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Patrick425, I also grew watching those guys too and I basically agree with you that there is more 'bulletin board' material these days, but I don't think it's because this generation of players is dramatically different than past generations. The whole game of baseball has gone through a lot of changes, usually cyclical. I live close to the Hall of Fame and I go a lot, and I always read those guy's (Yount etc.) plaques and recall 'a different time.' Still, I think that "the 80s" (which started in the 70s and stretches into the 90s) get idealized by baseball fans, and in a lot of ways guys like Yount, Brett, and Gwynn are an oddity in baseball's history. In the late 19th and early 20th century players would switch teams for the biggest pay day all the time, and baseball was quite explicitly business and entertainment. Players like Ty Cobb were notoriously nasty, he'd definitely have said something like what Braun said. Through the 50s and 60s everybody knew that off the field the players were often drunk womanizers, and that on the field a wrong look would get you beaned. I think part of it is that today there is more media, and the media are more willing to show us the 'dark side' because they've got so much time to fill. But, the days of Yount, Gwynn, and Brett were also the days of Nolan Ryan who'd throw a 100mph fastball at you for hitting a homerun, and of course Pete Rose would run over the catcher in an All-Star game. And, still nothing really approaches the actual events and mythologizing of Babe Ruth's 'called shot' (mythologizing Ruth himself propelled in cocky interviews with the media). I think people basically agree that one thing that was happening when Ruth pointed his bat was that the Cubs dugout was giving him a lot grief while he was in the batter's box, and he was giving it right back. That wouldn't (couldn't) happen today because of how much more control umpires have (which advertisers and tv programmers demand). Today, if somebody like Braun glances at the opposing dugout after hitting a homerun everybody goes nuts.
You may run like Mays...

I have to say I'm really glad this board doesn't allow the swearing and general foul language that the Pirates fan site does. It lacks intelligent discussion because they are so busy swearing and calling Braun a derogatory term for a gay person. I didn't realize the hatred the Pirates fans had for all things Milwaukee. Makes the 14 game streak even sweeter.

I didn't realize the hatred the Pirates fans had for all things Milwaukee.

Yeah, it's not like it was all that long ago that PNC Park was the Brewers' "house of horrors" and the Pirates had the knack of consistently beating the Brewers. Plus, the Brewers haven't been there yet this year.

I realize it would be frustrating to see your team lose to another 14 of 15 times in a season, but between their playoff history and playoff drought, I'd fully expect Pirates players and fans to celebrate wildly, had the situation been reversed last fall (and they had just won a late season, playoff-implication game in dramatic fashion). The 9/25/08 celebration wasn't about beating Pittsburgh, and obsessing over it seven months later just doesn't seem like a good use of anyone's time.

I found myself kind of empathizing with the Pirates forum linked to during Monday's game, but not the forum linked to just a few posts above.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I have to say I'm really glad this board doesn't allow the swearing and general foul language that the Pirates fan site does. It lacks intelligent discussion...
I agree 100%. Unfortunately, I tend to "talk like a sailor" in the real world, but there's no place for it here. Kudos to the site moderators for keeping this place on track.

He untucked coming around third on the slam.

This was Braun heading to first;

http://nbcsportsmedia.msnbc.com/j/ap/d3d936fc-b1f2-4988-9f27-e1d5da7dc71a.h2.jpg

This was Braun coming around third;

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/david_sabino/09/30/sabino.digits/ryan-braun-ap2.jpg

Personally I don't think he did anything wrong in that. If it was done in May, okay, sure, but the magnitude of that was huge. I was at that game (thanks brewerjamie and Eric Gagne) and everyone was going nuts in the stands, I didn't even really see the celebration on the field until I got home.

Archived