Brewer Fanatic

Lets give Mike Cameron some love

BrewCityUnit

Just need to say that Mike deserves some major props so far this year. A lot of people wanted him and his $10 million contract gone. There is no way he can keep up at his current pace but it sure is great to see Melvin's decision to keep him working out. As he had a bad game yet this year? I just don't think he gets enough love because he is not one of the young "home grown" guys but he is by far my favorite Brewer. Anyone else have some love for Cam?

My love for Cam is pretty apparent. The guy just brings it and his approach at the plate so far this year has been phenomenal. I could watch that dude shag fungos in CF for hours. I was dreadful of the thought of trading him and SO glad they didn't. He helps out the pitchers a ton. Go Boogie!

There's been a lot of whining done on this board about Mike Cameron and his 10 million dollar contract during the offseason, but so far he's making those people eat crow and we aren't hearing much from them. Let's hope Mike can continue the hot start and continue to keep those people quiet.

I've always liked Cam. Could never understand why some people were so hard on him.

He strikes out a lot. Well yeah, so did Gorman Thomas, but he was, and still is, one of the most popular Brewers of all time.

Well, I know some were worried about him possibly declining with age, but so far that does not seem to be the case. Anyway, looking at how the guy seems to have a tremendous workout and work ethic, it's clear he makes it a priority to stay on top of his game. Great fielding CFs who hit for power don't exactly grow on trees. I know Melky Cabrera is actually playing well so far this season, but I can't see him maintaining it at this point. I'm definitely glad that trade didn't happen.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

They've got to find a way of resigning for another year or two. I can't think of another viable alternative. He keeps himself in such great shape I bet his decline is very slow. I do like the idea of giving him a night off every once in awhile though.

They've got to find a way of resigning for another year or two. I can't think of another viable alternative. He keeps himself in such great shape I bet his decline is very slow. I do like the idea of giving him a night off every once in awhile though.

That will be tough with more guys becoming arby eligible next season, and probably needing to acquire some other pieces. I wouldn't mind keeping him again, but I don't think it's a viable option for Milwaukee. Hopefully Lorenzo Cain will be ready for next season.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

As great as he has been at the plate so far, I think his defense has been tremendous. Some of the catches he made in Houston were outstanding. Hopefully when he cools off at the plate, his defense keeps up!

I loved watching him run down those gap-shots in Houston, too, benji. It's great to see Mike playing well, and reaffirming the faith that the Brewers braintrust (& others) had in him over this past offseason. As long as people can keep in mind that he's a guy whose offensive ceiling at this point is about .250/.350/.475/.825, I think we'll continue to be thrilled with his performance.

Iirc Cameron was rated the best bang-for-the-buck FA acquisition for 2008 (per Fangraphs?), and I wouldn't be surprised if he fit that description again this season if compared against newly-signed 2009 FAs (yes, I know he wasn't a 'real' FA this past offseason).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

And some of you seemed skeptical of a 90 Homerun outfield. We will have 90 out there with ease, barring injury and knocking on wood.

Cameron 31

Hart 26

Braun 43

If the above numbers happen.. that's 100. Not by any means impossible.

I know homeruns aren't everything just something I'm pointing out.

When you realize the Brewers essentially got Torii Hunter at a fraction of the price you can't help but be excited about him. Truly a great signing.

That is a very interesting way of looking at it, joepepsi. I haven't really thought of it that way but you are correct, great defense, work ethic, and of course some pop at the plate. During almost every one of his at bats I can't help but sing "Kissed by a Rose" by Seal. I have some of my fellow grounds crew buddies doing the same, I think he is Seal's long lost brother!

Great to see the love for Cam Boogie in this thread. I think everyone knows that he is performing well beyond expectations but I can't help but feel all warm inside watching this offense the past week and a half. Now, if we could only fix having two pitchers bat in the 8th and 9th spot we might be on to something. To me this team is better than last years team. It might take a little bit of time for the record to show it but I am very impressed with what I am seeing. I think Pittsburgh is in trouble these next two games. Nothing like this Pirates team coming in on a high, thinking they are ready to compete or atleast finishing over .500 and us footing our foot down while spanking them in all 3 games.

That will be tough with more guys becoming arby eligible next season, and probably needing to acquire some other pieces. I wouldn't mind keeping him again, but I don't think it's a viable option for Milwaukee. Hopefully Lorenzo Cain will be ready for next season.

Cain looks like his season is done, so i doubt he will be ready.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

When you realize the Brewers essentially got Torii Hunter at a fraction of the price you can't help but be excited about him. Truly a great signing.

That is a very interesting way of looking at it, joepepsi. I haven't really thought of it that way but you are correct, great defense, work ethic, and of course some pop at the plate. During almost every one of his at bats I can't help but sing "Kissed by a Rose" by Seal. I have some of my fellow grounds crew buddies doing the same, I think he is Seal's long lost brother!

Hunter's career OPS: .799

Cameron's car OPS: .791

Factor in ballpark effects and *OPS+ for Hunter is 106; for Cameron 107.

Cameron is older, so in the long run he's probably not as valuable. But on a year by year basis his value is equal; he just doesn't the "name", which is weird because it's Hunter who's played in the smaller media market most of his career.

For the first month:

72 AB: .333/.430/.667/1.097

Who would have guessed that Cam would have the best hitting line through April?

A couple days ago, the creator of ZiPS updated his player projections and gave his best guess final 2009 player lines. Here's Cam's:

.264/.354/.492/.848, 23 HRs

But he's also expected to finish with 128 Ks, so some will still be disappointed. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif With a line like that and a hissolid defense, he'll easily earn his $10 mil.

The Brewer outfield is projected to finish with 89 HRs, BTW:

Braun: 45

Hart: 21

Cam: 23

Cam's stats certainly argue for the contract he got. It would be nice to bring him back again next year, but he may be looking for one last multi-year contract. That may be tough for the Crew with all the arby raises coming.

Aside from the stats, Cam seems to be a high quality person who is a real leader on the team. While some vets have done better than others, Melvin has done a good job of bringing in quality veteran people to the clubhouse. The team has a great vibe and quite a bit of camaraderie. We could argue as to how much that matters, but I think it does at the margin and it definitely make them easier to root for.

We could argue as to how much that matters, but I think it does at the margin and it definitely make them easier to root for.
That was very well said and I second that notion.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I would love a full bird of crow for the way he's playing. He's also walking alot and he's playing with a certain aggression I didn't see last year. I am beginning to think Ken Macha is getting the most out of guys like Hall, Weeks, and Cameron.

Prove me wrong all year Mike.

Archived