Brewer Fanatic

Rivera's stats question

Maybe I am up to late to figure this out, on the Brewers site Rivera is currently listed as having .333 BA .308 OBP .500 SLG

How can his OBP be lower than his BA? It seems it has something to do with what happened in the April 17th loss to the Mets.

*edit* OBP is determined completely from plate appearances? Any specials rules for OBP? like walks and such not hurting your BA? A sac fly hurts OBP?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/OBP

On Base Percentage (aka OBP, On Base Average, OBA) is a measure of how often a batter reaches base. It is approximately equal to Times on Base/Plate appearances.

The full formula is OBP = (Hits + Walks + Hit by Pitch) / (At Bats + Walks + Hit by Pitch + Sacrifice Flies). Batters are not credited with reaching base on an error or fielder's choice, and they are not charged with an opportunity if they make a sacrifice bunt.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I have Bengie Molina in fantasy baseball and I just noticed today that his OBP is lower than his BA. Pretty strange for a regular player this far into the year. I suppose a free swinger like Molina might stretch that anomaly out a bit longer.

Archived