Brewer Fanatic

Braun learning how to take walks?

I would completely ignore BBs for hitters as well as pitchers in April. It is by far the highest BB month and it seems random which hitters/pitchers benefit from it most. Every year some pitchers just can't throw strikes in april to save their lives and every year random hitters take advantage of it.

I would completely ignore BBs for hitters as well as pitchers in April. It is by far the highest BB month and it seems random which hitters/pitchers benefit from it most. Every year some pitchers just can't throw strikes in april to save their lives and every year random hitters take advantage of it.

While I agree for the most part, look at Braun's BB% from every month last year.

April - 3.7%

May - 4.8%

June - 5.4%

July - 7.3%

August - 7.3%

September - 10.6%

So except for July and August (which remained the same) he improved his BB% every month last year.

Braun is really seeing the baseball well right now. He's even taking low and away fastballs and hitting them hard to right field that are well off the plate. If he keeps up this kind of plate discipline we might be talking about how many MVP votes he'll be getting in September.
Well if it keeps up we may be talking about how he is one of the best runners up because Pujols is just plain sick.

While I agree for the most part, look at Braun's BB% from every month last year.
Thats awesome stuff tri. This offense becomes truely awesome as Braun evolves into a bigtime OBA guy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Braun has 10 bb (versus 12k) through 16 games, meaning he would draw 100 walks at this pace.
By the way, the Brewers have never had a player walk 100 times in a season, although Jeromy Burnitz walked 99 times in 2000.

mls4... always with the history nuggets.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Braun has 10 bb (versus 12k) through 16 games, meaning he would draw 100 walks at this pace.
By the way, the Brewers have never had a player walk 100 times in a season, although Jeromy Burnitz walked 99 times in 2000.
Heck, Fielder and Braun could both do it this year, although I'd still put Fielder at around 85-90 and Braun at about 70. We shall see...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Interestingly, (and this is a personal observation, which I'm well aware can be skewed by perception), I have not seen Braun swing or even offer at many (if any) 2-0 pitches this year. I wonder if there's a direct order from Macha or Sveum to guys like Hart, Braun, maybe a few others who did show lack of patience at the plate last year to take no matter what on certain counts.

EDIT: Took a look at the numbers. Brauny's gone to 2-0 19 times this year. He hasn't put the ball in play on the 3rd pitch in any of those at bats. He took 10 walks out of those 19 PA's when he took the count to 2-0.

In a vaccum this doesn't mean much. I'd have to see the context compared to other hitters.

Archived