Brewer Fanatic

RROD again (xbox360 thread)

logan82

So my Xbox has died again and it is out of warranty. They are asking for $120 to get it fixed. I am debating whether I should pay them to fix it or go with a new arcade version($200). By buying the arcade I would be adding HDMI and getting a quieter disc drive. It also looks like they are releasing a new arcade version with more internal memory on May 1st. I am leaning towards the new one.

1st one died in December of 2007

this one died on 4/25/09

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I wouldn't pay Microsoft to fix it. There are quite a few repair shops out there that will fix it for $30-$40 including shipping. Also, if you're handy with repairing electronics, there are quite a few tutorials out there on how to fix the RROD, such as the x-clamp fix. If you go this route, I would avoid the "towel trick" as that has a chance to screw up the xbox even more. If you decide that you'd like a new xbox 360, you should still be able to sell your RROD xbox 360 for more than $50 on ebay. It might be worth it to check craigslist for local repairers to save on costs.

There's also a new "jasper" chip in the new xbox's which is supposed to prevent the xbox 360 from overheating.

Last time mine broke when I was out of warranty I complained enough to a guy on the phone they fixed it for me

I have been far from impressed with the durability of XBOX 360s

I have had 3 RRODS and I barely ever even play it.

I may be wrong but shouldn't yours still be under warranty if you got a new one at the end of 07. Microsoft extended the warranty to 3 years for all problems relating to the red rings so I don't know why yours wouldn't be covered. I am on my forth 360 and every time I have had no problem getting it replaced for free.

I guess I am really lucky. I have owned one 360 and have never had any issues. It's been used quite a bit as well.

There are some great recommendations already in this thread, don't pay an arm and a leg to get it fixed. Look at a cheap alternative or go for a new console. If you don't already have one, make sure you have a cooling system (Intercooler), I've heard it extends the life of the system a ton.

I originally bought mine on January of 2006. The one I got in December of 2007 was the one mailed back to me when the first broke. They tell me I no longer get a warranty since I bought mine over 3 years ago. I am probably going to give them another call since the manufacture date on the back of the console they sent me is June of 2006. I doubt I have much luck though. If I end up paying, I have no idea when I will get around to fixing it. I just can't stomach paying more money to them for a refurbished console that I feel is likely to blow out again in a year or so and sound like a vacuum cleaner while I play. $200 is still well shy of buying a PS3 instead.

I blame Wang.

I may be wrong but shouldn't yours still be under warranty if you got a new one at the end of 07. Microsoft extended the warranty to 3 years for all problems relating to the red rings so I don't know why yours wouldn't be covered. I am on my forth 360 and every time I have had no problem getting it replaced for free.
My Xbox 360 got the RROD on January 1 of this year and it was still in the 3-year warranty period. They sent me a replacement refurbished 360 and told me that I only had a 90-day warranty on this one so I'm hoping that I don't get the RROD again. If I do I'll probably buy an arcade version.

Well I called back and they are going to fix it for free. They are only going to give me a 90-day warranty on the one they send instead of a 1 year warranty. I have the option to buy a 1-year extended warranty for about $30 or a 2-year for $60 within those 90 days. Much better than $120.

I blame Wang.

All the games I want to play are either Xbox or multiplatform. The multiplatrform games like GTA and Fallout have exclusive DLC(for now) on Xbox. Besides, I have heard of PS3s going down as well. Not to the extent of the 360. MLB the Show is the only thing I can't get on Xbox. I would suggest a PS3 to people who are going to play mostly sports games though.

Blu ray has absolutely zero appeal to me. I don't have a HDTV. Even if I did, Blu Ray isn't the big step over DVD that DVD was over VHS. DVD offered many new features like no rewinding, several languages, subtitles, and didn't deteriorate over time like VHS. Besides, it is likely to be quickly replaced by digital distribution.

I blame Wang.

If you don't have an HDTV, why not get a Wii. They work 100% of the time, are cheaper, have great games, and the only downside is negated by your TV.

I am not trying to come down too hard on the 360, its just that everyone I know who has it complains about it all the time. I just don't get it, although I don't particuarly like 1st person shooters so I am fine with the ps3 game library.

Already have a Wii and the games are somewhat underwhelming. Of course I have owned Metroid Prime 3 for a couple years and have yet to play it. I was saving it until my 360 broke again.

I am not trying to come down too hard on the 360, its just that everyone I know who has it complains about it all the time.

The only complaint I have ever seen for the 360, and it's a big one, it it's failure rate. I have yet to pay anything to get it fixed though. Just lost time. I think the library is great. Blue Dragon and Mass Effect are a couple RPGs I love that are only available on 360. I think it is a common misconception that the 360 only has 1st person shooters. It has 2 very good 360 exclusive shooters(Halo, Gears of War) but to say it is a shooter only console is just plain wrong.

I really don't have anything against the PS3 either. I would highly recommend it to anybody who is going to play mostly sports games. Most sports games are multiplatform and they have the best baseball game. I just like Halo, Gears of War and Mass Effect(better than the other 2 actually) and those happen to be on 360.

I blame Wang.

Archived