Brewer Fanatic

Lorenzo Cain hurts knee -- Latest: May Miss Only 4-6 Weeks

dlk9s

I just read this on JSonline. What a terrible loss. I was really hoping for a productive season that could have thrown him in the mix as the opening day center fielder next year. But if he misses the entire season, he'll probably have to start back in Huntsville.

Very unfortunate for Lo Cain. I talked to him for a few minutes at ST and he seemed like a very high character guy. I hope they are right and it is only the MCL. Typically the MCL can heal on its own in about 6-8 weeks(iirc from when I tore mine). I would be somewhat surprised if he misses the rest of the season from an MCL tear. Get healthy quickly Lorenzo!

I doubt Cain was going to be the Brewers CF next year.

He is still pretty young. The biggest problem is that this ruins one year of development. Now we have to hope he is ready by 2011!

Even before the injury, I suspected Cameron would be the starting CF in 2010.

We've had MCL injuries where the athlete is cleared to play 2 weeks later, usually it's about a month, 9 weeks seems awful long.

I just googled it and the longer recovery times are accompanied by an ACL tear, which is what happens when the knee gets completely blown out, like a twisting injury on a tackle in football. I'd be very surprised if he tore his ACL diving for a ball, though crazier things have happened. Here's a quick synopsis of MCL recovery for those interested.

This stinks on a variety of different levels as he's one of my favorites, but better a position player than another pitcher.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I doubt Cain was going to be the Brewers CF next year.

He is still pretty young. The biggest problem is that this ruins one year of development. Now we have to hope he is ready by 2011!

Even before the injury, I suspected Cameron would be the starting CF in 2010.

Dunno... Cameron might be looking for a big deal after this year.

If Cain cannot go next year, how would an OF of Gillespie in left, Hart in center, and Braun in right sound?

Hopefully it won't be severe and he can come back quickly.

Next year will be Cain's 24 year season. That's not all that young, I don't think, for a CF. In contrast, next year would be Cameron's age 37 season, and that is fairly old for a CF. I have to think that Melvin was hoping that Cain would have a nice season and show that he would be a nice option for CF next year.

I'd rather keep Braun in left. He is still learning defensively and I would rather not see him switch positions. Gillespie can play right.

As an aside, any chance that Caleb Gindl gets called up to Huntsville to replace Cain, either now or in a few weeks? He is tearing the cover off of the ball in Brevard County.

Dunno... Cameron might be looking for a big deal after this year.
Next year Cameron will be 37.

I doubt any 37 year old CF will get a big contract in a down economy. At this point, I think Cameron is resigned to taking a year by year deal. The Brewers have a need. Cameron is familiar with Milwaukee. (He should be as valuable to Milwaukee as any other team)

I say he resigns for around $6M

I wouldn't mind seeing Cameron back next year as long as we have a good backup CF so Cameron doesn't have to play more than 145 games. Of course from what I understand Cameron keeps himself in fantastic shape.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

He can't throw very well because of arm surgery, so he's limited to left field.

We are talking about next year though aren't we?

True, but if Gillespie's arm isn't 100%, then it may be better to move Braun to right. He has 12 assists in `08, so the arm's decent enough, I suppose.

The other option might be Gamel in right.

Gillespie had arm surgery prior to being drafted, his arm isn't going to get better. He'll have a pigeon arm for his entire MLB career, it is what it is.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

clancyphile wrote:
If Cain cannot go next year, how would an OF of Gillespie in left, Hart in center, and Braun in right sound?
Bad defensively?
That OF may not be as good defensively as this one, but would still be solid if you believe in the UZR stat, which I do. Hart career UZR/150 is very good when playing CF. I think he tracks flyballs better in CF than RF. Braun is playing much better defensively this year, as we would expect, and his UZR/150 is +14 this year. He would fit very well in RF. Gillespie is reliable with solid range for a LF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Hart's only played 51 games in CF in his career and hasn't played there since 2007. I think it's a stretch to say with any certainty what kind of player he'd be out there on an everyday basis.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The performance of that OF would swing on Hart's play in CF. Gillespie is a good left fielder, and Braun has the skills to be a good right fielder. Hart's effort in the field has been lacking at some points, and I'd rather not have a lacking performance in the middle of the outfield.

So, I'd rather have Cain healthy than trust Hart in center, all things being equal. Short of that, I'd just assume sign Cameron for another year if he's amenable.

I'd just assume sign Cameron for another year if he's amenable.
I like Cameron too, but where is this money coming from? If we pick up Loopers option, and let the FAs walk, we're at $90 million for next year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

With a successful season, we'd have room for Cameron.
Sure, we'll have room for him, but good luck competing with the Yankees in getting him. Unless Gardner has a huge year and the New York hype machine turns him into the next Willie Mayes, I think the Yankees will make a strong play for him and that means this is Cameron's last year in Milwaukee. Cameron will go join his buddy C.C. over in New York and willl later realize that he should have stayed in Milwaukee where he was happy.

Sure, we'll have room for him, but good luck competing with the Yankees in getting him.

The Yankees have Austin Jackson who will probably start in CF next year. That's one of the reasons they wanted Cameron, to bridge the gap until Jackson is ready.

Archived