Brewer Fanatic

Other near no-hitters

mls4

Obviously, the Brewers haven't had too much luck in the no-hitter department. But over the years, there are at least 8 other times a pitcher has taken a no-hitter into the 8th inning.

9/9/71- Bill Travers gives up a leadoff single in the 8th to Tony Gonzalez of the Angels, then allows a 2-run triple in the 9th which ties the game. Parsons goes 11 innings allowing 4 hits before the Brewers lose the game 3-2 in the 12th.

7/5/79- Lary Sorenson 2-hits the Yankees and out-pitches Ron Guidry as the Brewers win 2-0. Chris Chambliss broke up the no-hitter with 1 out in the 8th.

9/5/81- Jim Slaton pitches 8 no-hit innings before Sal Butera and the Twins go single-single-home run to open the 9th. Rollie Fingers needs to get the last 3 outs to hold on to a 5-3 win.

9/1/87- Teddy Higuera's one-hitter beats the Royals, but it took 2 runs in the 9th inning off of Bret Saberhagen to decide the game. Ross Jones' 2-out triple in the 8th keeps the Brewers from a 2nd no-hitter in the same season.

5/28/88- Odell Jones, a 35-year old journeyman in his last major-league season, is the least likely on this list. Usually a reliever, his spot start against the Indians would be closest the Brewers have ever been to a perfect game. It took a one-out walk in the 8th for Cleveland to get their first baserunner before a Ron Washington single with one out in the 9th knocked a tired Jones out of the game. Dan Plesac finished up the 2-0 win.

6/15/88- Teddy Higuera with another gem but gives up a home run to the Mariners' Steve Balboni leading off the 8th. Chuck Crim and Dan Plesac pitch the 9th to finish the one-hitter and the Brewers win 5-1.

7/17/92- Jaime Navarro had only given up a walk through 7 innings when a walk, Steve Sax triple, and sac fly give the White Sox a 2-1 lead starting off the 8th inning. Navarro finishes 8 one-hit innings but it takes the Brewers 11 innings to win the game 4-3 as 5 pitchers combine on a 3-hitter.

6/19/08- Dave Bush's first close call as a Brewer is spoiled by the man he was traded for, Lyle Overbay, with a triple leading off the 8th. Another hit scores the Blue Jays first run but Bush finishes the inning with a 8-1 lead only to watch the Blue Jays batter the bullpen with 6 more in the 9th before Salomon Torres can finish off the 8-7 win.

8/22/03 against the Pirates, Franklin worked 6 1/3 no-hit innings before Craig Wilson homered. Franklin left after allowing only 2 hits through 7 innings and the Brewers hung on to win 3-2.

There's about 20 more games where the no-hitter was intact into the 7th. Sheets is on that list twice, Higuera again, Parsons again twice, Navarro, Colborn, Haas twice, Sutton, even Jamey Wright and Wes Obermueller. And one where Ben McDonald left the game after pitching 6 no-hit innings- must have been an injury as it was the second to last start of his career.

Community Moderator
The Sheets game in Anaheim from maybe 2003 was the only time I really thought that I was about to see a no-hitter. I think he might have had a perfect game going into the 7th, but for sure it was the most dominant he ever was. Vladimir Guerrero broke it up by hitting a single on a curveball that was about 1" above the dirt. The Brewers ended up winning the game in the 17th inning on a double by Scott Podesednik at about 2 AM Milwaukee time.

The Sheets game in Anaheim from maybe 2003 was the only time I really thought that I was about to see a no-hitter. I think he might have had a perfect game going into the 7th, but for sure it was the most dominant he ever was. Vladimir Guerrero broke it up by hitting a single on a curveball that was about 1" above the dirt. The Brewers ended up winning the game in the 17th inning on a double by Scott Podesednik at about 2 AM Milwaukee time.
That game is immortalized in the WOAH SOLVDD forum.

Sadly, the cheese sandwich images did not survive the migration from ezboard to Yuku.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

That game is immortalized in the WOAH SOLVDD forum.

Sadly, the cheese sandwich images did not survive the migration from ezboard to Yuku.

My first post at BF was in that IGT. Crazy night that was, Darron even mentioned me during his long list of people emailing him still watching the game.

One of my favorites -- mls4 mentioned it above.

May 17, 2005: Washington's Jamie Carroll ends Wes Obermueller's bid for a perfect game with 1 out in the 7th inning. The Brewers win the game, 8-2. Wes only allowed two baserunners in eight strong innings. Ricky Botallico gave up a 2 run HR in the 9th inning, destroying the shutout.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/WAS/WAS200505170.shtml

I remember that Sheets vs. the Angels game so well. Junior Spivey made 3 errors, Geoff Jenkins struck out 6 times, and if I remember correctly Matt Kinney got the win.

No hitters are always fun games to watch. It is even tense watching one for a team you don't even root for. I was surprised no one mentioned CC's near no hitter, but the 'hit' in that game came in the 5th inning.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I was surprised no one mentioned CC's near no hitter, but the 'hit' in that game came in the 5th inning.

the original list discussed no hitters brought into the 8th inning...i think that is why cc's "no hitter" wasnt discussed. another near no hitter was sheets on opening day 2007. between a couple hits, he put down 22 in a row.

9/7/08 - Young goes 7 2/3 innings until Gabe Kapler hits a HR making it the worst Brewers game I have ever attended.

I know you probably meant Brewers no hitters, but it wasn't specified.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Last year I was at the Kapler walk off home run game.

And John Lannan for the Nats had a no hitter through like the 5th or something, and I had decent seats so after the 5th I think I stood up and yelled "Hey Lannan you have a NO HITTER going, as in you have given up NO HITS!".

One of my favorites -- mls4 mentioned it above.

May 17, 2005: Washington's Jamie Carroll ends Wes Obermueller's bid for a perfect game with 1 out in the 7th inning. The Brewers win the game, 8-2. Wes only allowed two baserunners in eight strong innings. Ricky Botallico gave up a 2 run HR in the 9th inning, destroying the shutout.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/WAS/WAS200505170.shtml

I remember this like it was yesterday...I listened to the whole thing on the radio in Chicago. I remember Powell asking Ueck in the 6th if Obie knew what he had going, and Ueck seemed incredulous with the question.

This was also the one where Ohka got into a tiff with Robinson on the mound, right? Leading to his trade to the Crew a couple weeks later? Maybe I'm mixing it up; it was right around then, though. Kinda funny that Claudio Vargas also pitched against the Brewers that night. And when you look at that lineup the Brew Crew fielded, it seems like a million years ago--only Billy Hall is still with us.

5/28/88- Odell Jones, a 35-year old journeyman in his last major-league season, is the least likely on this list. Usually a reliever, his spot start against the Indians would be closest the Brewers have ever been to a perfect game. It took a one-out walk in the 8th for Cleveland to get their first baserunner before a Ron Washington single with one out in the 9th knocked a tired Jones out of the game. Dan Plesac finished up the 2-0 win.
I've noted this in other threads, but I was at that game that Saturday night sitting right behind home plate (yellow Summerfest t-shirt) with the Indians guy who charted pitches. That game was unbelievable. The pitch-charting guy (everyone called him "Dude") kept shaking his head about how Odell's slider was breaking at least 18" all night long. Cleveland 3B coach Johnny Goryl was a member of my folks' church and I stayed the weekend with him. Crew won Saturday and Sunday. I don't remember Friday's outcome because I didn't get to the game 'til the 6th inning. Johnny got me fully autographed team balls from both the Indians and Treb's Brewers that I still have and cherish. Memories of a weekend like that never go away!

I'd been at the game the previous Monday against Toronto when Higuera was pulled with a sore something after the 1st inning. Odell came in and pitched 5 great innings, and when Teddy's arm didn't rebound well enough, Odell was told he'd start that Saturday against the Tribe. The Crew won. I think Fielder started at 1B, then McGriff came in for him later and hit a huge HR not far from where we were sitting in right-center.

9/7/08 - Young goes 7 2/3 innings until Gabe Kapler hits a HR making it the worst Brewers game I have ever attended.

I, too, was at that game, and it was my birthday, matter of fact. It was also the worst game I've ever attended.

Here is a game that I remember watching on television as a kid: LINK Charlie Liebrandt almost no-hit the Brewers.

Liebrandt was perfect through 5 1/3, when none other than Bill Schroeder, bunted for a hit. I've never heard Schroeder talk about that game, but I wonder what he would have to say about bunting for a game when the opposing pitcher is throwing a perfect game in the 6th inning, and your team is down by 6 runs. Seems kind of bush league to me.

I, too, was at that game, and it was my birthday, matter of fact. It was also the worst game I've ever attended.

I would have been ok losing 10-0 if I sit through a perfect game. Much better than 10-1

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I remember that Obermueller one. I couldn't believe that guy had a chance to be the second Brewer to toss a no-no. Of course it would have been more likely then say Ruben Quevedo tossing one.
During that game, I was thinking to myself, "can I really afford an Obermueller jersey? Because if he...you know...I should probably get one."
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I've noted this in other threads, but I was at that game that Saturday night sitting right behind home plate (yellow Summerfest t-shirt) with the Indians guy who charted pitches. That game was unbelievable. The pitch-charting guy (everyone called him "Dude") kept shaking his head about how Odell's slider was breaking at least 18" all night long. Cleveland 3B coach Johnny Goryl was a member of my folks' church and I stayed the weekend with him. Crew won Saturday and Sunday. I don't remember Friday's outcome because I didn't get to the game 'til the 6th inning. Johnny got me fully autographed team balls from both the Indians and Treb's Brewers that I still have and cherish. Memories of a weekend like that never go away!

I'd been at the game the previous Monday against Toronto when Higuera was pulled with a sore something after the 1st inning. Odell came in and pitched 5 great innings, and when Teddy's arm didn't rebound well enough, Odell was told he'd start that Saturday against the Tribe. The Crew won. I think Fielder started at 1B, then McGriff came in for him later and hit a huge HR not far from where we were sitting in right-center.

Yep, remember that game. I have the eight and ninth innings on videotape, still. Good times.

Archived