Brewer Fanatic

Best Burger

Web Jim Edmonds

White Castle is a love 'em or hate 'em thing, but I check their web site at least every 3 months to make sure one is not closer than the Twin Cities. A sack, hold the pickles, is a oniony treat, with ketchup for dipping.

Other than that, I usually get a mushroom and swiss where ever I go. A&W has a good one, had that today.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Living in Northern Mexico, I really like their take on the Hamburger:

Buns toasted over the coals with the burger, a slice of ham, lettuce, mayo, tomato, mustard, avocado, cheese, fried onions, bacon, grilled jalapenos, ketchup, hot sauce and pineapple.

I've been to a place down here that actually served a hotdog and a sausage as condiments on top of the hamburger. Either way the hamburgers are crazy delicious!

On the way up to Door County there is a place called Joe Rohrers (sp) off of A in Duvall. The burgers are cheap, greasy and bigger then what they serve at Kroll's. I have to stop there everytime we are heading up to Door County, I would highly recommend a burger and a beer!

I consider myself kind of a burger nut, here are some of my faves.

Milwaukee: Sobleman's is by far my favorite. Solly's, was overrated, but still tasty. I don't get the love for Kopp's. It's big, but it's like a dried out beef frisbee.

Madison: I love Bob's Bad Breath Burger at the Weary Traveler for a non-traditional burger. It's seriously one of the best things I've ever tasted. The Gritty Burger at the Nitty Gritty is always delicious. Dotty's was good - especially their garlic sauce - but I don't get the hype.

Elsewhere: I'm in love with the double cheeseburger w/onions at Wedl's Hamburger Stand in Jefferson. Had one last night. The Log Cabin in Howards Grove and Schulz's in Sheboygan. Both are similar to the Kroll's burger, but in my estimation, better. Hard roll, lots of butter, onions. Delicious. Kroll's has coasted on their reputation for the last decade or so. I grew up in GB, and I honestly can't think of a single burger place I love there.

I'll also echo the Culver's love. I think a lot of people take it for granted, but the double deluxe is an outstanding fast food cheeseburger. In N Out is great. I also love Whoppers.

My favorite chain restaurant burger is a Five Guys Burger with lots of onions, mushrooms, and A1 sauce. Hardee's mushroom and swiss is 2nd.

For mom & pop places, my favorite is Wedl's in Jefferson. It's a little burger stand with probably the best sliders I have ever had. Great food.

So, I did my research today, and finally stopped by Sobelman's.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/phearinc/002.jpg

I don't think I'd call it the "best burger ever", but I'll give it a solid A. The bun's probably the best one I ever had, though... and I was amazed that I got there at just about 11am on the dot (when the joint opens), and it was already filling up quickly.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Solly's in Milwaukee.

You may feel your arteries clogging while you eat it, but man oh man, does it taste good.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Went to Mazo's today....

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/phearinc/010.jpghttp://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/phearinc/011.jpg

Got a burger with swiss, bacon, pickles, fried onions, brown mustard, and ketchup. I wasn't impressed. It was on par with getting a burger at the Cracker Barrel. It was dry, the bun was mediocre, and there was nothing really redeeming about it. The crinkle-cut fries had a decent seasoning salt added, but it just screamed "plain" to me. I'd give it a B-.

In the spirit of image-based research, here's me (hungover, looking like death warmed over...what better time for a burger) eating my first ever In-N-Out double-double a few years back

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/SeriesFinale75/DSC05809.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/SeriesFinale75/DSC05810.jpg

It's tough, tough work.

Someone has to eat all of those cows.

Just about every weekend I am going to be on the road May-June, I am going to make it a point to find good hamburgers, and document it for future generations to use. I feel like once again my life has meaning.

Wendy's Baconator does the trick for me.
I ordered one of these last week and was shocked to find ketchup on it. I hate ketchup more than Joe Buck hates Randy Moss, and I've never in my life heard of a burger with bacon that also had ketchup by default. Bacon burgers used to represent a safe zone for me, but now Wendy's has destroyed that. Dave Thomas would be rolling in his grave.

I realize I could just say "no ketchup" but i feel stupid requesting them to hold something that isn't even there to begin with.

On a sort of related note, I'm also kind of grossed out by the fact that they claim to not freeze their burgers. What do they do, leave them out to rot?

A few burger thoughts

I used to really like the Red Robin burgers until I found a twisty-tie in my burger a few years back.

I had a great burger a few weeks ago at the Tap Haus in Kaukauna. Really tasty!

For fast-food Culvers cannot be beat!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I hate ketchup
You are a communist.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived