Brewer Fanatic

Cubs DFA Luis Vizcaino and call up Jeff Samardzija

yoshii8

While his numbers look good (showing that small samples are deceiving), I think it was how he was throwing that caused the Cubs to DFA him. The few times I saw him, he didn't look like the same guy. Not much zip on his fastball (86-87) nor is he able to throw his slider over 80 mph. Yeah, he got some guys out but mostly they got themselves out against Vizcaino.

When Vizcaino was good, he got it up there in the 93-94 range with a mid 80's slider. He's just a shell of that guy now.

Would there even be room for him? McClung, Villanueva, Stetter, Coffey and DiFelice are probably locks to remain on the team. Hoffman is coming off the DL soon, so Julio will probably be gone when that happens. So the only other option is replacing Swindle with Vizcaino which is a meh move for me.

And JohnBriggs is right. Vizcaino's fastball is averaging only 88 mph this year and his slider only 80 mph.

Julio is probably gone when Hoffman is back and then the worst RP is probably McClung. Don't think there is room for anyone.

PitchFx says he is throwing 88 MPH this year compared to 91.9 last year for the fastball. His slider is down 3.5 MPH and change up is down 6 MPH. Of course it is only 52 pitches so hard to know how accurate it really is.

DiFelice are probably locks to remain on the team.

Glad to see something like this posted on bf.net -- his name is even spelled right http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif I've been a big DiFelice guy the past few years. I don't think we can expect him to continue with an ERA as low as it is, but he doesn't walk guys. That's something the pitching staff can use right now. He has his flaws, but I'm very happy it looks like he's been given a great chance this year to show he belongs.

DiFelice are probably locks to remain on the team.

Glad to see something like this posted on bf.net -- his name is even spelled right http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif I've been a big DiFelice guy the past few years. I don't think we can expect him to continue with an ERA as low as it is, but he doesn't walk guys. That's something the pitching staff can use right now. He has his flaws, but I'm very happy it looks like he's been given a great chance this year to show he belongs.

To be clear, I don't know that for sure, but with the problems with walks so far this year and the iffy "production" by Julio throughout his career and the numbers (albeit a small sample) this year. It just leads to what should be a hopefully obvious conclusion that DiFelice is a near lock to remain and Julio is sent packing.

Well, at first that was the case, and the name stuck. I don't think it was ever really statistically proven that was the fact, though.
At the risk of getting too far off topic, I decided to look it up. In 2004 it certainly appeared to be the case -- he had an ERA of 7.19 during the day and 3.86 at night. In 2005, the numbers were 6.45 and 3.89. Obviously, you're still dealing with small inning amounts and ERA isn't exactly the best barometer, but at a quick glance it definitely seems that way.

As far as Vizcaino goes, I think I'd prefer to stay away. I'm comfortable with how the bullpen will look after Hoffman's return, even if he isn't the shutdown closer he used to be. Let Vizcaino get picked up by someone like the Nationals.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Viz is due over $3 mil. this year and has a $500,000 buyout for next year. Probably not worth rolling the dice on him.

Just to clarify, a team is only on the hook for this if they trade for him or claim him on waivers. Once he clears waivers, the Brewers would be free to sign him to whatever contract they'd like.

I think I saw enough of "the vampire" during his one stint with the Brewers, thanks.

I'm sure he'll find a job somewhere, I just don't think Milwaukee needs him back.

The "Vampire" was Victor Santos. Luis Vizcaino was known as the "Dealin' Dominican". Trust me, I know this as I was talking about the Vampire in another thread and referred to him as Victor de los Santos because I always used to mix up Victor Santos and Valerio de los Santos by name eventhough I knew exacly which was which. And actually Vizcaino was a pretty darn good set up man for the Crew in '02 and '04. In '03, not so much.

It was Santos for his Day/Night splits

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Victor had many vampiric qualities. Sucking being high on the list.

He was a solid setup man while with Milwaukee. He had one rough year of the three, but ended up being a key element to getting El Caballo. As I recall he was a key player in the Sox championship team too. Did the Cubs get anyone else from the Rockies in this deal? If not, it was a pretty awful deal.

Formerly Andersoc420

Vizcaino was incredibly valuable on that Sox team (more than a certain all run, no hit, no field CFer). Now if he has lost that velocity he could be injured or done. My guess is unless he's upset at the Cubs for DFAing him, he'll end up at their AAA team, but if he is upset having him trying to right himself in Nashville would be a good thing.

Just to clarify, a team is only on the hook for this if they trade for him or claim him on waivers. Once he clears waivers, the Brewers would be free to sign him to whatever contract they'd like.

This isn't entirely true -- At this point in the season there are 2 types of waivers...

1.) Unconditional Release

2.) Outright

For Unconditional Release, -- this would be used if the Cubs want to cut ties with Vizcaino, -- PF is exactly correct. If the Brewers claimed Vizcaino on waivers, they'd pick up the contract, if Vizcaino cleared waivers, he would become a FA, and the Brewers could sign him to whatever deal they want.

For Outright Waivers -- this would be if the Cubs want to send Vizcaino to AAA -- PF is incorrect -- a team claiming Vizcaino would pay some sort of pro-rated portion of the league minimum, and the Cubs would be on the hook for the rest -- this would be similar to when the Brewers sent Turnbow down to AAA last season.

I think this thread needs to be renamed "Victor de los Vizcaino: Myth or Legend?"

I tend to mix Valerio de los Santos together with Luis Vizcaino in my head at times and I understand the Victor Santos/Valerio de los Santos confusion, but this thread is a little hard to read, haha.

Archived