Brewer Fanatic

Letter to Yourself at 16

Web Jim Edmonds

If you could write a letter to yourself at age 16 and send it back in time, what would it say? I'll go ahead and get things started...

Dear 16 year old WJE,

Hi, it's yourself from the future. Don't worry, I'm not writing to warn you that you got hooked on drugs or crap like that. I do want to tip you off about a few things, though.

First-- Real soon you're going to be looking for a new car. Your brother will be getting his liscense pretty quickly, which means he gets to inherit the [edited for language] you drive now. A guy you work with, John, no not long hair creepy John, but going grey weird John, will offer to sell you his convertable. Don't be seduced by the shiny wheels and stereo that makes a nice "boom" sound. You'll quickly learn that Lebaron's don't have the best track record when it comes to transmissions, and this will kickoff your streak of three cars in three years. Buy something else and save yourself cash in the long run.

Second-- Don't EVER date the friend of Jeff's girlfriend! Long story short, through her you'll meet another girl that you'll date, and that just turns into a huge mess. If that's not reason enough, there's always the fact that shortly before you break up, she thinks it's funny to come up and fart on you while you're watching TV.

Third-- Don't believe everything you've been told about drinking. Yes, do wait until you're of legal age, but don't think that one drink will cause you to go crazy. Next year you will be going to Germany. You will be of legal age to drink over there. Make sure you have a few beers, especially when you go to the little "Oktoberfest-type" event, or when you take a tour of a brewery, or ESPECIALLY when you visit the Hofbrauhaus in Munich. Don't go crazy, but come on and live a little.

Finally-- Know how you've always had a passing interest in photography? Make it more than that. Dump the crappy video production classes, you're going to get out of that as your major in college after a year or so anyways. Instead, sign up for as many photography classes as you can. Save some money from your crappy job (it seems fun now, but wait a year), and buy yourself a decent starter kit. Trust me here.

(edit: language --1992)

I think I'd get in trouble with anybody that I know that reads this board if I posted my letter. So I'll pass for now. I would seriously have to think about what I'd write, though. Cool topic!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I'd say...

Oh, you got so much going for you, going right. But I know at 16 it's hard to see past Friday night. I wish you'd study Spanish, I wish you'd take a typing class. I wish you wouldn't worrry, let it be. Just have a little faith and you'll see.

That's what I'd say if I could write a letter to me.

I'd say...

Oh, you got so much going for you, going right. But I know at 16 it's hard to see past Friday night. I wish you'd study Spanish, I wish you'd take a typing class. I wish you wouldn't worrry, let it be. Just have a little faith and you'll see.

That's what I'd say if I could write a letter to me.

Isn't that what Brad Paisley would say?

One thing I'd have to tell my 16 year old self would be Brewers-related.

"Remember how awesome the postseason looked on TV? Wish you could experience it yourself? Be patient...but it will happen."

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Exactly, I figured he heard the Brad Paisley song. I still love hearing most of his reflective ones. My big suggestion would be to go on a date. Waiting to date until 26 hasn't been kind to me.

German is useless unless you plan on opening a German Beer Hall. If you do plan on opening a German Beer Hall, keep your German dictionary.

Note to self: Scratch plans on opening German Beer Hall. You end up selling your German dictionary for $2 at a rummage sale.

Sorry, had to do that since that song is going to be stuck in my head all night now.

The only thing I'd tell my 16 year old self is to apply my/yourself more in everything you do. Just because you can coast by in school and get A's, don't do it. That attitude will stick! Find something you love and push yourself. You might think you are working hard in sports, but there is more you can do.

Oh, and don't be such a wussy with the women. Looking back, I passed on a lot of action and potential relationships because I was worried about what others thought, or I was just too damn scared.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but put money on the Marlins to win it all in '97.

Yes, exactly. I would be all over letting myself know what to invest in, when to get out, and what teams to bet on. It would be very much a "Back to the Future II" type of letter.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Dear Me,

Don't be such a wuss.

-Me

I just spit up Coke all over everything, why didn't I read this thread sooner.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Dear me,

Don't even think about getting engaged to you know who, while you'll learn a great deal about yourself and relationships, there are better opportunities that you'll let pass you bye while you hold onto something that isn't right and never will be.

When you go to college... while playing outdoor basket ball and the NHL 93/94 tournaments are extremely fun, they shouldn't be an everyday occurrence, or at least go to class first. This will make the first of year of school much easier, and you won't miss that Chemistry III mid term you'll forget and have to ace the final just to pass.

Buying the car right before you go to college is a horrible idea, just go scout the game for Dad, trust me, you'll never live this one down, even the extended family will joke about it. While the car will be a bad idea, living off campus is worse, ditch the girl... then you won't need the car to visit her or the apartment for "alone time" with her and you can do whatever else was doing and just have random sex wherever.

When a certain HR sup gets transferred to Ops and comes walking into your area of responsibility to throw her weight around, just keep your mouth shut after wards, you may not get lucky a second time. Make your move on another you know who at a party a couple of weeks after the incident previously mentioned. She's looking for a way out of a bad relationship and desperately wants you to do something about it.

When you first think about buying a house, just do it. No whining about the extra responsibility, it's stupid to rent for 12 years, buy the damn house, your brother becomes a framer and your father picks up finish carpentry working on the lake property, it will work out.

In case you end up in a different line of work with different people because you stay in MN after college, start investing as soon as you go full time, it's the best decision I've made.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Dear Jerk,

Don't go to college right out of high school just for the sake of going. You're going to spend waaaay too much money wandering toward your 4-year University degree, and would be much better off waiting until you know what you want to do, then getting a focused Technical or Associate's degree.

And stop being a sissy and go hard after some random while you can. You won't be able to forever. You're not getting any thinner, and you'll have plenty of time for relationships.

Sincerely,

Person who is still not very intelligent, but still more intelligent than you

16 year old RunaBase,

Do Not Baby sit in Illinois the summer of 1971,it will not be fun

Ask Mom to teach you to cook her way, it will help you when she is gone,you now cook, it doesn't taste that great.

The house you bought in 1977 is worth it,but help your dad with remodeling ,it will be time well spent

Buying Brewer season ticket for 1978 -1983 was a good idea

Keep some kind of ticket plan for the Brewers, your protest of the strikes in baseball and Miller Park is not worth it.

Life goes on.as basball does.

Buy that 1983 Cougar ,not the Chevette

Don't buy the vacant land ,buy the land with the moblie home in 1985.

Do not lean money to friends,you will never get it back

Remember July 31 1991,go home, Don't drink, it was one of the dum things you have done.

Enjoy your parents ,it will be difficut when their gone.

You will enjoy your job for 20 years,it the last 15 years that will be a pain

As of this writing you have 2 1/2 years to go

Dear Me,

Don't be such a wuss.

-Me

This is essentially what I would write to myself, with a "p.s.: be more social and smile more, it won't kill you and you'll actually make more friends."

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived