Brewer Fanatic

Eli Dukes' situation handled innapropriately?

I understand that a one game benching and a $500 fine isn't that big of a deal for a major league baseball player... but I can't help but get a bad taste in my mouth for what Nationals' management did in this instance. Here is a kid who has had noted off and on the field issues in the past... he is paid a very modest $500 to go speak at a little league baseball grand opening of some sorts... there is a parade that he has to sit through, then talks to the kids... reports say he took off sprinting to his car because he knew he might be late.

Now, to be fair... I have no idea what Manny Acta and the Nationals' top layer said to him. It could very well have been "Listen, we love what you did today. We thought it was great you were trying to help out those kids and be an example and we encourage these types of acts in every regard, but we do have rules that we shouldn't bend and although you have a legitimate reason as to why we should let this go... we have to be fair to everyone, so here is your punishment..." but the way Manny Acta pulled off the whole macho man "We are changing the culture around here" nonesense... I really don't think that is what happened.

Is it just me or did they handle this completely wrong?

**edit** And for the record... I absolutely love that the Little League where Dukes spoke is stepping up and paying the fine. They are sending a message to Dukes that he really did do a great thing and they are also sending a message to Nationals' management that 2-10 isn't their biggest problem right now... love it.**

When I first got wind of this situation was last weekend reading the little ticker on MLB Network. It read something along the lines of "Dukes fined $500K for arriving late to team meeting" or something along those lines. I immediately went to my computer to try to find more info on the story because I thought fining a guy $500,000 was absolutely insane. I was a little disappointed to find out later on that it was only $500. Based on the information the public has been given, I think Dukes wasn't given a fair deal. I highly doubt Acta will still have his job by June anyway.

Despite the nebulous topic title, the "The Nationals: Could this team be any worse" thread on Page 1 is already dedicated to this very subject. (http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=18361)

EDIT: I suppose that thread is a little broader than just the Dukes story, but it is in the lead post.

EDIT 2 (by 1992casey) Fixed link.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I'll lock this and merge copies of the first two posts into that one. I'll also adjust the title of that thread.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived