Brewer Fanatic

Sausage Race: not exciting enough?

topper09er

Even though the sausage race is not that old I can still remember the "good old days" when it was properly executed by the people (such as Hideo Nomo) in the costumes. What I mean is that the race once had a predetermined outcome and everything during the race was just done to entertain and taunt the crowd (such as the Wisconsin Badger football game student section races). Some examples of things that once made this race great and now do not seem to exist anymore are: one sausage getting out to a huge start and then running in place/running around in a circle and losing his huge lead in the race, all of them seeming to run at about 40% speed and no one taking a big lead, just jogging around, someone running off course/falling down, one sausage getting to the finish line and then running sideways and letting someone else win...basically there should be a different sausage leading the race at the 50% and 75% marks and then another one wins. Nowadays all that happens is all 5 just sprint as fast as they can and one is usually better than the others and there are no close/exciting finishes.

This may not bother anyone else (and when I say bother I mean like the way things bother Larry David) but I was just wondering. Any reactions?

I like it the way it is, or, tolerate it I guess. I don't even bother to stand up for it anymore. I know the race had starting taking too long, and that might be a reason for less shinanigins now.

However, Sundays with the mini-sausages are the best, you are getting 110% from those kids, I really like those races.

Yeah, I think it is really boring to just see one of the sausages just sprint and pull away every single time. There is hardly ever a close race anymore. I preferred it when the races were fixed for entertainment purposes. I found it entertaining when the hot dog fell across the finish line on opening day though.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I liked it the old way better too. It was hilarious because like you said, one would get out to a huge lead and then jog in place and then fall in behind a couple that just passed him. I do dig the little ones running the last leg of the relay on sundays though

one sausage getting out to a huge start and then running in place/running around in a circle and losing his huge lead in the race, all of them seeming to run at about 40% speed and no one taking a big lead, just jogging around, someone running off course/falling down, one sausage getting to the finish line and then running sideways and letting someone else win...

...one sausage getting wacked in the back of the head by a backup infielder...

Easter's race was one of the best I've seen. There was an obvoius slower mini-sausage that got tagged first so she could have a good sized lead. Mini-Hotdog got the tag and took off like a cheatah, passing the other sausage right before the end. It was like watching the old scoreboard race, but it felt better knowing that it happened because one suasage busted tail.

They should mix it up a bit. Some days have a sprint, some days have a leisurly stroll, and some days just goof off down the line.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

The only good thing about the way they do it now is that I like to try to size up how fast each sausages legs look and then pick a winner. Picking a winner before was really just dumb luck.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The only good thing about the way they do it now is that I like to try to size up how fast each sausages legs look and then pick a winner. Picking a winner before was really just dumb luck.

Yes, and on Sundays pick only (I mean only) by the look of the kid racers. That's how we picked correctly on Easter Sunday (and Robin19 is correct; the end of that race was uncommonly good).
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

"Each sausage should represent a section in the stadium and Klements should pony up the $ to give the winning section a free sausage at the game. "

You would need a lot of sausages out there for one to represent each section.....but 1 section randomly selected to be represented by a sausage would be a great idea.

Am I alone in saying that I hate the sausage race? I think it bothers me on some existential level that people get so worked up over four costumed teenagers running around a field. Anyway, just my two cents.

Am I alone in saying that I hate the sausage race? I think it bothers me on some existential level that people get so worked up over four costumed teenagers running around a field. Anyway, just my two cents.
I do believe it's five costumed teenagers. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Haha. I guess that I should try standing up and watching the race once in awhile. Perhaps then I would at least know how many costumed individuals are running around the baseball field bothering the players trying to warm-up between innings.

I've heard people say the same thing about watching guys hit balls with sticks.

I've heard people say the same thing about watching guys hit balls with sticks.

Yeah, "Jackass" is a pretty stupid show. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I still don't know why the Klement's people don't have the Sausage Races televised. I know that they sometimes show the races coming out of a commercial break but they should sponsor the minute of air time like Budweiser does the 7th inning stretch in Chicago.

Otherwise, I don't mind the sausage races at all. I really don't like that other teams (PITT, WASH, probably others that I don't know about) have copied it, more or less.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

"Each sausage should represent a section in the stadium and Klements should pony up the $ to give the winning section a free sausage at the game. "

You would need a lot of sausages out there for one to represent each section.....but 1 section randomly selected to be represented by a sausage would be a great idea.

and that is a really great idea... then whatever type was racing for u, you would get that kind of meat XD then give some to Prince while ur at it

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I do believe it's five costumed teenagers. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Costumes?!? Great, next you will tell me the Easter Bunny is fake, too!

Its something silly and fun to do between innings. I haven't seen a game live in a while, so I didn't realize they switched. But the antics make it funny and enjoyable. The mini's are the best, however.

I love the sausage race. It was far better when they did have a predetermined winner though. My buddies and I would run like we were the sausages in gym class during our warm up jog. One guy sprinted out a head, everyone caught him and past him, then someone from the back would sprint ahead right before the gym teacher blew the whistle. It might sound dumb but it was a blast.

I love the sausage race. It was far better when they did have a predetermined winner though. My buddies and I would run like we were the sausages in gym class during our warm up jog. One guy sprinted out a head, everyone caught him and past him, then someone from the back would sprint ahead right before the gym teacher blew the whistle. It might sound dumb but it was a blast.

This is what I am talking about.

Also, there have been 2 sportscenter commercials on the sausage race (the cannibal hotdog who orders a hotdog for lunch, and the running of the sausages) plus the Randall Simon sausage gate. This is something we are nationally known for (like it or not) and it should be fun/exciting for the fans. One reason I started this post was that last season one of my buddies form the east coast came with me to his first Brewer game. He had heard about the sausage race and was excited to see it, and after one just sprinted the course and won in like 10 seconds with no drama his reaction was... eh. I felt like the sausage race let him down and we (the brewers) should do a better job with it.

Archived