Brewer Fanatic

2009-04-21 Brewers (Parra) at Phillies (Moyer): 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 11-4]

razzzorsharp
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it'll end quick with some rain

Didn't they change the rules so now there aren't any more rain-shortened games? If Philly were to suddenly get dumped on, they'd just continue this game tomorrow before starting the next one. There's no escaping this one...let's just let McClung finish the game. If he gives up 7 runs, so be it.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Uecker: "There are times, folks, when you just don't have a chance."

He's talking about Swindle's non-opportunity to react to that hit off his leg, but it could stand for so much more.

I hope Doug and Ken take something from tonight's game when it's time for Hoffman to join the big club and someone to leave. /glaring at Julio/

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

This game has a car wreck sort of feel to it... like when my brother was into NASCAR and I'd watch the races with him just to the see the pile ups.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I guess I'm late to the party. How terrifyingly bad can it get.

On a side note, I can't believe 6 pages into the IGT and not one mention of Hall's defensive gems AGAIN tonight. If there is a 3rd baseman currently playing better defense, I'd like to see it. He looks tremendous!

And 3rded (or 7thed?...I lost count) on just DFA'ing Julio when Hoff gets activated this weekend. Moyer had zero interest in taking a meaningful swing there and he walks him after a 1-2 count. That is totally inexcusable and a guy like that does not belong on our roster or probably anyone elses for that matter. Buh-bye

I'm really starting to question the hiring/promoting of Bill Castro to pitching coach.

I'm sure he isn't telling the pitchers to walk scrubs and opposing pitchers

Yeah, but at the same time....where have all of these walks come from? There are some of the same Brewers pitchers from last year that are walking batters, and even worse with the bases loaded... it's very frustrating. I'm not going to peg this on Bill Castro just yet, but these are big league pitchers, and have been big league pitchers in the past, yet they have never walked batters like this in such bad situations. It's just very frustrating.

This really is no different than last year early so not sure why everyone is making such a huge deal about it. pitchers walk a lot of guys in april, happens every year.

Last season after 12 games we had 51 BB, this season we have 56 after 12 games. The pitchers will settle down come May and everything will go back to normal.

This really is no different than last year early so not sure why everyone is making such a huge deal about it. pitchers walk a lot of guys in april, happens every year.

Last season after 12 games we had 51 BB, this season we have 56 after 12 games. The pitchers will settle down come May and everything will go back to normal.

The difference is who the walks are to (opposing pitchers) and the situations (bases loaded, 1-2 counts, 4 pitch walks, etc.).

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

But it isn't any different than other teams. I am watching a bunch of games right now and I just watched the Reds walk in a run and then flipped over and watched the Mets walk in back to back runs. People are walking players all over the place just like every single season in early april.

If it wasn't any different than any other team then the Brewers wouldn't be second to last in the majors in walks/game. I don't see how that's like every other team. The league average is 3.8 walks per game. The Brewers are at 4.85 after tonight, and that assumes they don't walk anyone else this game. They were at 4.15 last year after 13 games last season. That's the difference between middle of the pack and nearly the worst in the league. This is not like last year, it's worse.

You are arguing semantics though. Every single season tons of pitchers walk tons of guys in April and then settle down and pitch more like expected from May on. This really is no different than any other season. I posted it on the main forum but just tonight we've had like 6 teams with 6+ BB and at least 4 players walked in with the bases loaded today. Walks are high in April, thats baseball. We are just getting hit with it a bit more than some other teams.

yeah, walks are high in April, but the Brewers have been higher than just about everyone else. It doesn't matter if walks across the league are low and the Brewers are the worst or if the walks across the league are high and the Brewers are the worst. It's going to lead to more runs allowed than most of the other teams and that's going to lead to more losses.

I do appreciate your positive attitude, though. I hope you're right.

...and as I write this Seth McClung walks another batter...

2009...year of the Walk. Is it too early to wonder if Maddux going to the Rangers hurt this team more than any offseason move?
Yes it is. Walks are somewhat random in April. I am a huge fantasy baseball guy and the one thing I have learned is that April is the most meaningless month stat wise(sept being a close 2nd with all the minor league players playing). You probably would get a better picture of players if you completely throw out April. Every year a bunch of random guys get off to terrible starts offensively and a bunch of pitchers just can't throw strikes at all. The players who have issues seem to mostly be random every season though a few repeat offenders do exist. Generally speaking by May most of it has settled down and you see the real players in action.

If we still have a ton of BBs the last week of April and the first week of May then you can really start to worry but right now this is just normal April baseball.

I do appreciate your positive attitude, though. I hope you're right.

It isn't a positive attitude, I'm just a realist. Seriously April is just like this, you would be better off just ignoring the month completely other than cheering for the team. Don't start worrying about guys until May.

Archived