Brewer Fanatic

Visiting Milwaukee!

AmyintheSouth

Hello!

My friend and I are coming to Milwaukee for a quick weekend trip on May 2 and 3. Having never been to Milwaukee, we'd love some recommendations for things to do, especially things that are close (within a mile or two) to the ballpark, as we aren't renting a car. And if any of y'all want to grab a beer in that brief time period, we'd like that too!

Also, could anyone weigh in on how strict Miller Park is on bags? We saw the measurements for bags on the site and my friend is a little concerned that our backpacks might be a little larger than 16x16x8.

Thanks!

Well I can answer the part about the bags;The backpack I bring in to most games is bigger than the specifications you posted. I think you'll be fine. I think they just don't want you bringing in huge coolers and such; if it can fit on your back you'll probably be okay.

Hope you have a good time!

Ah, I misread your post before I typed this all out, I thought you were renting a car. I am going to post it anyway, since everyone should do it at least one Saturday this year. As for being close to the stadium, I would recommend Kelly's Bleachers before the game, but not after. It turns into more a dance club type place with a cover later on Saturdays. Give yourself plenty of time inside the stadium at least one of the days, there is a lot to see. Sobelmen's would be a short cab ride, and I think is worth it. Where are you staying? That might help with some recommendations.

Saturday (if you had a car):

2:00pm Go to Sobelmen's at 1900 W. St. Paul Ave, and have Milwaukee's (and maybe the worlds) best burger. LINK

3:30pm Take the tour at Great Lakes Distillery at 616 W. Virginia St. Wisconsin's first distillery since prohibition LINK

4:00 or 4:15pm Walk across the street to The Iron Horse Hotel and get your free Great Lakes Distillery samples and check out what could be the coolest/best hotel in the city. LINK

4:45pm Take canal street to Miller Park and check out the stadium

6:05pm Watch the Brewers beat Arizona 7-3 lead by JJ Hardy's 3 for 4 night with 2 HR and 4RBI

9:05pm Bluemound Road Pub Crawl

Depending on when you arrive on Saturday, you could consider the Miller Park tour[/url]. That would be pretty close to the ballpark. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Are you able to go to both Saturday and Sunday's games? because leaving with a Ryan bobblehead should be pretty sweet.

Edit: d'oh, forgot to comment on the bags. It's not like the bag checkers have a tape measure against which they check bags. I see plenty of backpacks in the park; just be prepared to open them up. Depending on the bag checker you get, you may have to open multiple nooks and crannies of the bag.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

If you are in the 300's for the May 3rd game I will be up there. I will echo other's comments on the bags. I have a bag that I bring to every game and it is a little over the size limits. They also let you bring anything in as long as it is in clear containers except for alcohol. There was a worry this off season that may change. Thank goodness it didn't.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

They also let you bring anything in as long as it is in clear containers except for alcohol. There was a worry this off season that may change. Thank goodness it didn't.
logan3825's almost completely on target. Soft drinks and bottled water have to be in factory sealed containers. I assume some checkers test for this since I sometimes see confiscated bottles at the entrance.

If you want to hang out on Brady Street (boutiques, coffee shops, etc) you could walk over to Karma (near Ogden & Van Buren) to catch the shuttle to the game. They leave 1 hour before.

This suggestion could work with a lot of bars that have shuttles....BBC on the Eastside, most of the Bluemound bars, Zims/Ouzo Cafe....I'm sure others could provide ideas.

You could do the Miller Brewery tour - it's free, includes 3 free beers, and is only a few miles from the park.

as we aren't renting a car
Without a car, how will you tailgate?? You can't come to Milwaukee and Miller Park for the first time and not tailgate with the thousands of other fans!
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Highly recommend going to Soblemens. Some of the best Burgers I've ever had. As far as tailgating, if you don't have a car, grab a 12 pack and just walk around. Always see some interesting things, and people are pretty friendly. Experiencing the tailgate would be the one thing that you must do, along with the game of course.

Thanks for the info, y'all. I was definitely hoping that if we picked up some beers on Saturday or Sunday and roamed the parking lot, we could soak up some of the tailgating atmosphere.

We're sitting in 110 on Saturday and 409 on Sunday (could not miss getting a bobblehead!). Hope to see some of you around!

Wow, let me express my embarrassment that we all forgot to specifically mention that you should try a brat. Unless you are a vegetarian of course. It is our signature ballpark food. Philly has cheese steaks, LA has Dodger dogs, and San Diego has fish tacos. I think the ballpark brats leave a little to be desired, but they are still good. I think your best bet would be to find somebody who is tailgating and doing brats on the grill. Preferably boiled in beer before or after going on the grill.

I blame Wang.

Perhaps we should all be embarrassed that no one from Brewerfan has yet invited Amy and her entourage to their tailgate on either Saturday or Sunday. I cannot believe that no one here would be tailgating prior to either game.

That is embarrassing. I don't plan on tailgating on Sunday, but if nobody else will give out an invite I guess I will have to tailgate and extend an invitation. Any BF.net members are welcome to stop by as well.

I blame Wang.

Awesome! We'll bring some beer! A word of warning, my friend is from Arizona, but she's a Brewer sympathizer. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

As far as trying a brat in the park - believe me, my friend and I are ready to try the many culinary delights available in Miller Park. Fried cheese curds!

Pretty sure I'll be in the lot with a buddy (or three) on Sunday... probably Saturday as well. You're welcome to stop by if you'd like!

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Note that if you bring some beer and don't have a car, you'll have to drink the beer before entering the park... or give it away to some tailgators.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to say that we had a blast in Milwaukee. We totally lucked out on weather. Miller Park is absolutely gorgeous. I'll probably be kicked out of Fenway for saying this next time, but the food was better and cheaper. We walked around the Third Ward on Saturday afternoon, saw the festival grounds and walked up around the lake and photographed the art museum. After the game Saturday, we stopped at 4th Base for a beer. Sunday we got to tailgate, thanks to some very kind BF.netters. All in all it was a successful trip -- we each got to see our team win, I got to see Bernie slide, and we both fell in love with the city.

Archived