Brewer Fanatic

The Nationals: could this team be any worse? / Eli Dukes' situation handled innapropriately?

billyhallfan
I've always wondered if the DC market can support a team.

I tend to think it cannot long term. Proximity to the Orioles aside, there are not a lot of "DC Natives." It has to be hard to establish a solid fanbase when a good portion of the population are transplants. And being in the NL takes away the Yanks/Boston games that would likely sell out at least 6 times per yr.

It'll be interesting to see how that goes. The ballpark looks fantastic, and I'd like to see them become competitive.

I'm living in DC now, and I'm optimistic about the Nats. I mean, the Redskins have the largest stadium in the NFL and no trouble selling out. The problem is the product on the field. And they need to grow through the farm system, like the Rays did. It's gonna take a while.

However, the ballpark is not fantastic. It's a major disappointment. The upper bowl is too far from the field, and the building has no distinctive character.

Archived