Brewer Fanatic

Prince Fielder Timing

As I am checking my afternoon Minor League Box Scores I again notice that Gamel goes 3-5 and is currently hitting around .500 for AAA-Nashville. I know we signed Prince for two years, but everyone and their mother knows that was a economic move to avoid a potentially expensive arbitration year. Gamel, who is not a relatively "young" prospect is now showing he can't be held back. His defense, however, does not seem to be improving.

This leads me to believe that a move will happen around THIS YEARS all-star break. Gamel is almost certainly not going to stick at Third. Although the outfield is rumored, I don't see him sticking in left/right and really the future depends on how Lorenzo Cain develops and whether we'd have to try to move Hart to center.

If we deal Fielder next offseason, or during the 2010 trade deadline, what happens to Gamel in the meantime. Also, next offseason is a particularly shallow pitching free-agent period I belueve, highlighted by John Lackey (if I remember correctly). The Brewers will certainly be looking for starting pitching in return for Fielder and I don't see them waiting until we have to deal Fielder (1.75 years away) to obtain some help there.

So, I ask, do you agree that a deal will happen sooner or later and if you have any potential scenerios I would be interested.

Thanks.

I think its only a matter of time before Fielder gets traded, I would guess probably this next offseason. I'd kind of a double edged sword. I doubt Gamel is going to be a major league third basemen and will probably end up at first base. If you move him now though, you hurt Fielder's trade value by telling everyone that you're top prospect is a first basemen now and you have to trade Fielder. However, if you don't play Gamel at first base before trading Fielder, you have to rely on someone who has never played first base before to be your every day first basemen. Thats why I think this offseason is the time for Fielder to go. It at least gives Gamel spring training to play first base. You can then hopefully get some decent pitching prospects in return.

I don't know why he keeps being mentioned when a potential Fielder trade is discussed, but Gamel isn't a first baseman. He won't put up the 1B numbers an NL team would want, either.

I don't know why people keep saying this. Like he isn't allowed to play first base unless he hits a certain number of home runs. Are we next going to say Taylor Green isn't allowed to play third base because we expect our third baseman to hit for more power for than he does? Gamel hit 20 home runs last year which would be fine for a first basemen. His defense at third base is atrocious, so he's not a third basemen either. You can't just keep sticking people at corner outfield spots. We are running out of those spots. Mat Gamel's offense would be fine for first base.

If you move him now though, you hurt Fielder's trade value by telling everyone that you're top prospect is a first basemen now and you have to trade Fielder.
I guess I disagree with this statement. As long as you have at least two teams that are bidding for Fielder's services, his trade value is exactly the same. Yes, the world may know that you're going to trade Fielder, but those teams are still going to bid against each other to acquire him.

Archived