Brewer Fanatic

6-12 start (Over or under)

bobskube

I say 6-12 is realistic record when this road trip is over. Anyone see differently?

Mets- Will lose against Santana on Saturday and Suppan will explode on Sunday. (3-9)

Phillies- Will win one game against equally bad bullpen of Phillies. (4-11)

Astros- Will win 2 out of 3 versus hapless Astros. (6-12)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sadly, I'm going to say 5-13. We never play well in Philly and Houston is probably saying the same thing about us when we come to town. After Houston we have three vs. the surprisingly good pitching of the Pirates at home. Other than Washington there are no gimmes in the NL this year; then again maybe we're just not very good.

Could be. This Brewers team just doesn't seem to catch any breaks or have any good juju going at this point.

They got out of two bases-loaded jams tonight without giving up any runs. That's catching a break, big time. Constantly walking batters has nothing to do with bad luck, and they walked 7 more tonight. As long as the Brewers staff is at/near the top of the NL in BB, I'm gonna have a tough time chalking it up to "bad luck" or feeling sorry for them.

It feels that way but other than Sheets (admittedly a big part of the rotation) how much different is our rotation/bullpen now than it was a year ago?

I think the offense is just as much to blame for the poor start. Other than the win against Cincy and to some extent the first game against SF, we haven't had any big run scoring games. If you look at our first 10 games, most of our scoring has taken place in one inning (and usually a result of a long ball). It would be nice to put up crooked numbers in multiple innings for a change.

It feels that way but other than Sheets (admittedly a big part of the rotation) how much different is our rotation/bullpen now than it was a year ago?

No Torres. No Shouse. Those were the teams two best relievers. Mota was even fairly effective for stretches. Also, no 1/2 year of Sabathia and no Sheets. That's 517 innings right there that is no longer with the team. That's significant.

Hoffman and a healthy Gallardo will help make up some of that, but I still think over the course of the full year, the staff will be far inferior to last years staff.

I agree that over the full year the staff will be inferior, there's no getting around that. Once Hoffman comes back, he'll be as good as Torres (knock on wood). Coffey has been better than any reliever from this time last year.

I can see the Brewers winning tomorrow. Yovani is excellent and the Brewers usually hit lefties pretty well. They could pull out a 3-2 or 4-3 win, imo. I certainly hope they are better that 6-12 after 18. If they aren't, I'll be pretty worried about their chances this year.

brewers = lucky to win 65 games this year. never seen a team so pathetic and so ready to quit because they lost ONE guy. we look putrid and we'll be fighting it out for 5th place. hope braun is happy he's stuck with 6 years of losing. we will always be the milwaukee brewers, we will always be known for losing ... but we do fart in the wind once every 25 years. awesome.

brewers = lucky to win 65 games this year. never seen a team so pathetic and so ready to quit because they lost ONE guy. we look putrid and we'll be fighting it out for 5th place. hope braun is happy he's stuck with 6 years of losing. we will always be the milwaukee brewers, we will always be known for losing ... but we do fart in the wind once every 25 years. awesome.

65 wins? I'll take that bet. If you've been watching a team that looks ready to quit this last week, you've been watching a different team to the one I have. Too much nibbling, some crappy luck, shocking umpiring and the usual early season small sample sizes are defining us at the moment. That "same old Brewers" schtick just gets old...

brewers = lucky to win 65 games this year.

I feel confident enough to make a loser leaves town bet about that. It has been a tough week for fans who have hopes of playoffs this year, but they aren't 65 wins bad. Do you know how truly bad a team has to be to only win 65 games? So bad that every Brewer team has done better than that since 1971.

we will always be the milwaukee brewers, we will always be known for losing ... but we do fart in the wind once every 25 years. awesome.

The Brewers only have one losing season in the last four. These Brewers don't have a losing mentality, but some of their fans do.

I guess if you feel that Braun, Fielder and Hardy are really .200 hitters with no power, then I can see why you'd think the Brewers' season was over. The only Brewers that have been decent at the plate this season are Cameron, Hall and Counsell. We've been in some close games that we've lost. Our big bats waking up will turn some of those losses into wins.

Our pitching has been giving up way too many walks, but Bush, Parra and Looper just threw up three straight quality starts and we only won one of them. Putting Riske on the DL should help, so we won't be one short in the 'pen. Getting Hoffman back will be huge, as the other players will be able to fall into place, and Villy will be able to be used in non-pressure situations to get his head screwed back on right. Plus, the walk bug has hit everyone, even Yo. Hopefully it won't be a long-term trend.

As we find ourselves saying every year, every team goes through rough stretches, and it's a long season. It does look better when you start out hot and then cool off than the other way around. The Marlins could lose their next six and people would still say they're good, while the Brewers could win their next six, and people would still complain due to this ugly start. We have had this same discussion each of the past few seasons. Two years ago, the cold stretch in the second half was enough for the Cubs to take the division (and that was a very long, cold stretch). Last year, I thought half this board was ready to jump from the highest building at different parts of the season, but we were still able to scrape our way into the playoffs.

One thing I've learned is that every team has their ups and downs. It's nerve-wracking going through the downs, but it's much less stressful to sit back and enjoy the season. We have a lot of talent and we will win games. Who knows if we'll make the playoffs, but I plan on having fun watching.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'll take the over, I think we win 1 of these games against the Mets, 1 or 2 against the phillies and then 2 against the Astros and 2 against the Pirates to close the month.

So 7-11 after 18 and 9-12 after 21. I'll still take the over on 81 wins for the season though and I'll take a bet that this isn't the worst 10 game stretch we see all year, this is baseball afterall. Almost every team in baseball goes 3-7 at some point every single season.

I was thinking earlier this week that 9 is the over/under number for the month.

This really does have a 'Packers 2008' feel to it so far. Have enough talent in enough places to play very well in stretches of a game, but enough holes/poor play/misfortune to be in a position to lose. Then top it all off by actually losing.

I guess the sad part looking at the standings is that they're only ahead of the Washington Generals in the NL, and one of the three teams the Crew are tied with at 3 wins is a team that beat them 2 out of three to start the year.

brewers = lucky to win 65 games this year.

I feel confident enough to make a loser leaves town bet about that. It has been a tough week for fans who have hopes of playoffs this year, but they aren't 65 wins bad. Do you know how truly bad a team has to be to only win 65 games? So bad that every Brewer team has done better than that since 1971.

we will always be the milwaukee brewers, we will always be known for losing ... but we do fart in the wind once every 25 years. awesome.

The Brewers only have one losing season in the last four. These Brewers don't have a losing mentality, but some of their fans do.

You forgot 2002. But I agree the Brewers don't have a losing mentality. That being said, there have not been many positives on the field this year.

A terrible team might be the underdogs in 10 straight games, that doesn't mean they should go 0-10. No team has a 100% or 0% chance of winning games, so a better way to approach these kind of exercises is to come up with estimates on odds for each game.

Vegas gives the Brewers about a 35% chance of winning today. With it being Syppan vs. Figueroa(?) tomorrow, I'd think it would be something like 40% for Sunday's game. That means that the Brewers have something like a 40% chance of losing the next 2 games. Pretty darn high but it's more likely that the Brewers at least split the next two games.

65 wins? I'll take that bet.

He wouldn't bet a nickel on that. He's just using brewerfan.net as a shrink.

We need to stop freaking out. I went through last year's schedule, we had 4 different stretches of 3-7 baseball.

May 1 - May 11 (3-7)

May 14 - May 24 (3-7)

July 25 - Aug 3 (3-7)

Sept 7 - Sept 17 (2-8)

I'm pretty sure we made the playoffs last year right? Stretches like this happen during a baseball season, it just happens to be now for the brewers. (We are missing our closer)

Baseball is a long season. We went 13-16 in the month of May last year, I'd be surprised if we finish worse than that in April this year.

Archived