Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Fan Legends

I have a hard time getting behind a person for the Fan HoF that is paid to be at the game, or profits by being there. Maybe that's my own agenda by not wanting to see the Iceman get in. I think class of 09 ought to be Doorman and Happy Youngster.
That's my feeling as well. I definitely don't want to include people like Bernie Brewer, at least in this iteration... I understand the love for the Iceman, and I think he's sort of in a special category. I'm just sort of hesitant to launch the feature with just two fans. I suppose The Maniac might be worth inclusion, though.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think class of 09 ought to be Doorman and Happy Youngster.
That's my feeling as well. I'm just sort of hesitant to launch the feature with just two fans. I suppose The Maniac might be worth inclusion, though.
Brian et al:

First off I think it is very cool to have a Brewers Fan HOF, and I'd be honored and humbled to be added to something like this, but I must say I don't think I deserve to go in with the "first class" of members. I really think The Maniac, Happy Youngster and Baseball Bob should be the first class of members. A lot of people know me, The Maniac & Happy because of TV, or we're on the jumbo tron, but one guy who doesn't get a lot of play (although he was in one Brewer TV commerical) is Baseball Bob. He sits right next to the Brewers dugout and has a single seat, he's only missed one game since 1990, and that was because it was for his divorce hearing. He once told me he hadn't missed a Brewers broadcast since 1974!!! I mean, NOT ONE! I don't think he's missed a pitch (which means he isn't leaving to get anything to eat or drink or otherwise) since 1990 as well. I'm a fan, but there is no one that compares to Baseball Bob as the ULTIMATE BREWERS FAN! I know I get a lot of publicity because of where my seats are, and that frankly if they were three seats over a lot of people wouldn't know me from Adam, but if the Brewers main TV camera for the side shots was on the third base side, EVERYONE would know Baseball Bob. There is also a guy who sits behind the Brewers dugout in the first row with glasses that is a huge fan, and he too doesn't miss any games. I think if you watch the broadcast of the Brewers clinching game against the Cubs last year, there is a shot of him after Braun's homerun with a great look on his face as he is cheering Braun that says it all about the moment.

So thanks for all the kind notes about me, but I know there are a lot bigger Brewers fans out there, and the majority of them are right here on Brewerfan.net. We've got a great fan base, and I'm so happy that the folks at ESPN finally decided to show the Brewers on Sunday Night Baseball. Too bad we didn't destroy the Cubs that night!

Cheers

Rickey

AKA

The Doorman

I have a hard time getting behind a person for the Fan HoF that is paid to be at the game, or profits by being there.

I disagree -- I think we all know a Brewers employee (usher, trainer, front office guy, vendor, etc. ) that performs his/her duties way beyond what they are getting paid. While I can understand they may not be "fans" -- I wouldn't disqualify a person that gives to the Brewers and the gameday experience just because they get paid for it. Maybe a staff/stadium HOF or wing?

I'm just sort of hesitant to launch the feature with just two fans. I suppose The Maniac might be worth inclusion, though.

You use terms like "hesitant", "suppose" and "though" -- which does not smack of HOF caliber inductees -- I get the impression you aren't real sold on the candidates -- which is fine. If you "suppose" you could let someone in, your HOF is meaningless.

I would also challenge the idea of having many entries -- in fact I think the right thing to do, is make one guy the initial inductee and let that one guy enjoy 1 year (or whatever the election period is) as the sole enshrinee of the HOF. It should be obvious that the guy is Baseball Bob. If he missed one game in 1990 for divorce proceedings (which was probably a better experience than anything at the stadium in 2002) I think that is an absolutely astounding accomplishment. A lot of our fans know it's a lot harder to be a Brewer fan, especially given the ups (all two of them) and downs of our franchise -- but this guy has weathered a lot of storms.

The Happy Youngster has always come off like a knob to me, and I can't believe you would consider him in the same class as Baseball Bob.

I love The Doorman, but frankly I wouldn't recognize him if it weren't for his HOF collection of jerseys -- which is nothing short of amazing.

I think WAY too much emphasis is being put on people who have been in the right spot at the right time, or have unique seats, that have given them a presence on TV, when in reality they are just another guy at the park, and not people who have stuck with the team through thick and thin for long periods of time.

I think you need to dig a little deeper as well -- Maybe you could have the radio or newspaper encourage people to get in touch with you regarding people that they may know that are epic fans but are too old to get on the interwebs, or not profoundly placed on TV. I bet that there are some really great stories out there waiting to be told.

Hey Rickey,

We're certainly going to include you in the "first class" of the Brewers Fan HOF. Partly because you really do deserve to be there, plus I really hadn't planned on doing a yearly induction, or anything like that anyway (as I don't want want calendar time to mandate that we add more people).

As far as Baseball Bob goes, do we have any more info on him? I'd like to have a photo and a blurb about each of our Brewers Fan HOF inductees. I'll admit that my knowledge when it comes to people at the park is lacking, as I generally either opt for the cheap seats or radio/tv broadcasts.

There is also a guy who sits behind the Brewers dugout in the first row with glasses that is a huge fan, and he too doesn't miss any games. I think if you watch the broadcast of the Brewers clinching game against the Cubs last year, there is a shot of him after Braun's homerun with a great look on his face as he is cheering Braun that says it all about the moment.

You talkin' about that cat who looks like Judge Ito? I love that guy.

Rickey absolutely deserves to be in. There are other seats that are very visible by camera at every game. I moved to Phoenix 8 years ago and haven't been able to go to games at Miller Park more than once a year. I always enjoy seeing "The Doorman". I like having a recognizable fan at the games. It definitely sounds like Baseball Bob should be in, but don't sell yourself short Rickey. I get pumped when I see you pointing at the bench after a big strikeout.

While I think an annual entry to the fan HoF would be awesome, I realize I'm not the person doing the leg work for this. I totally understand whatever decision is made. I'm just really excited by the idea and can't wait to see what happens. Lots of teams have fan HoF's and the Brewers need one too. I know some fans are more deserving than others but they can be honored by being the first one in or in the first class.

naivin[/b]]There is also a guy who sits behind the Brewers dugout in the first row with glasses that is a huge fan, and he too doesn't miss any games. I think if you watch the broadcast of the Brewers clinching game against the Cubs last year, there is a shot of him after Braun's homerun with a great look on his face as he is cheering Braun that says it all about the moment.

I'm not sure if it's the same guy you are talking about, but does this guy sit right at the corner (where the dugout meets the roof of the player runway) and he always has his glove ready on every pitch to a right hander? He has coarser, lightly graying black hair and sits not to far up from where Baseball Bob sits.

If this is the same guy, he works at US Bank. I use to work there about 10 years ago, although I didn't really know him. I still eat lunch about once a week at the Lake View Market inside the US Bank building and pretty much see him every time I eat there (we apparently eat lunch at the same time). As a matter of fact, I was there today and saw him.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

As far as Baseball Bob goes, do we have any more info on him?
Took some digging, but Baseball Bob's name is Robert Koehler, he is not the person who co-authored the book about the American Association Milwaukee Brewers. There is very little out there on him, but I do know he was on a Brewers commerical about four years ago, along with the dentist who has season tickets and is usually there getting autographs before most games. If you look at the photos of Prince swinging a bat you'll see Bob, he's bald and is right next to the dugout.

I don't know what the guy with the wavy hair and glasses name is, but I know that if you have a copy of the Brewers DVD, on the game broadcast, there is a shot of him grabbing his head after that homer and Braun's curtain call. He sits right above the dugout, across from Bob.

Rickey

There is also a guy who sits behind the Brewers dugout in the first row with glasses that is a huge fan, and he too doesn't miss any games. I think if you watch the broadcast of the Brewers clinching game against the Cubs last year, there is a shot of him after Braun's homerun with a great look on his face as he is cheering Braun that says it all about the moment.

Ok, I found out who he is, his name is Rick Schuller (I'm not sure how to spell his last name) but he is the guy that sits across from Baseball Bob and has glasses and wavy hair. I also forgot to mention that he ALWAYS brings a glove to the game.

Rickey

I don't know what the guy with the wavy hair and glasses name is, but I know that if you have a copy of the Brewers DVD, on the game broadcast, there is a shot of him grabbing his head after that homer and Braun's curtain call. He sits right above the dugout, across from Bob.

Rickey

By this description, I'm sure that this is the same guy that works at US Bank downtown. Next time I see him, I'll have to approach him and let him know that he's being talked about on Brewerfan.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I'm not sure if it's the same guy you are talking about, but does this guy sit right at the corner (where the dugout meets the roof of the player runway) and he always has his glove ready on every pitch to a right hander? He has coarser, lightly graying black hair and sits not to far up from where Baseball Bob sits.

If this is the same guy, he works at US Bank. I use to work there about 10 years ago, although I didn't really know him. I still eat lunch about once a week at the Lake View Market inside the US Bank building and pretty much see him every time I eat there (we apparently eat lunch at the same time). As a matter of fact, I was there today and saw him.

Bingo! Yes, that is Rick, he is another long time fan that has been to about as many games as Bob has, but obviously misses the Brewers broadcast and usually misses a pitch or two thanks to wanting something to drink or eat!

Thanks Patrick!

Rickey

This is just a story I heard from an usher over by Baseball Bob's section at a game a few years back when I was down trying to get autographs...

Apparently, Bob's seat was in pretty much the same spot in County Stadium. However, when they built Miller Park, he was originally going to be relocated to a spot on the other side of the dugout. To avoid having such a loyal fan and season ticket holder have to relocate so dramatically, they apparently added an extra seat to each row in that section. This created an extra seat so that he could sit in his current spot on the home plate side of the dugout. This would also explain why (if anyone has ever noticed) there are 5 seats in between the dugout and the aisle, as opposed to 4.

Again, not sure if this is true, but I did hear it from a Miller Park usher.

Maybe this fan was already mentioned. During rallies, when the "more cowbell" sketch comes on, there is always one man, banging his empty beer bottles together. He's shown on the jumbo tron basically every game I go to (rally or not). I apologize if that's the Doorman. I know it's not the Maniac, and pretty sure it's not Brewer Bob.

He's at many a games though, and I'd see him as a possible inductee.

Maybe this fan was already mentioned. During rallies, when the "more cowbell" sketch comes on, there is always one man, banging his empty beer bottles together. He's shown on the jumbo tron basically every game I go to (rally or not). I apologize if that's the Doorman. I know it's not the Maniac, and pretty sure it's not Brewer Bob.
I know which guy you mean, and he's none of the previously mentioned. After seeing him a few times, I figured he was a Brewers employee of some sort.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow I had no idea about Happy Youngster. I'd like to take back my vote for him. I just thought he was a guy who loved the Brewers, went to a lot of games and was fortunate enough to catch a lot of balls. I had no idea the tactics used to get those baseballs.

uh, the most obvious one is Bob Betts, if you're going to Brewers employees. Man, that guy was great.

And the beer vendor back in the 80s that would bellow out, "Pabst, MillerMillerLite, Old Styyyyyllllllleeeeeee!" would have to be in there. (that's not a typo: he said it as one word--MillerMillerLite)

Wow does that ever take me back! My first game at County Stadium was in 1985 against the Orioles. A buddy of mine and I went on a road trip from Iowa to see the Cubs-Mets in Wrigley and the Brewers-Orioles the next night at County Stadium. At the time my buddy was a a Mets fan and I was a big Orioles fan. We sat in this beer vendor's section, behind the visiting dugout. He was a lot fun and the entire section just rocked. Everyone was really friendly and having a good time. People gave me a hard time for being an O's fan, but it was all in good fun. I was surprised how knowledgeable many of the Brewer fans were about the Orioles. After this experience I started following the Brewers more and tried to get to a game every year.

By contrast, we were crucified in Wrigley for cheering the Mets. One guy even shoved my friend. Very mean, agressive crowd. Kind of the impression I've had of Chicago my whole life. I could never be a Cubs fan, though I've always enjoyed going to White Sox games.

Thanks for bringing back such great memories. That beer vendor was the best!

There is a guy who wears a shiny blue cape and yellow mask, i see him in the bleachers from time to time.
Super Brewer is Latino, correct?

Maybe this fan was already mentioned. During rallies, when the "more cowbell" sketch comes on, there is always one man, banging his empty beer bottles together.
Older guy? Big long beard with some gray in it? Kinda looks like a biker?

I have a hard time getting behind a person for the Fan HoF that is paid to be at the game, or profits by being there.
I think Geoff Jenkins would include the Happy Youngster in that category. In the spirt of what I consider a "fan" - Happy Youngster does not qualify.

I'm still lookin' to get Brian, -THE Brian- into that HOF.

BTW: No offense, but I have absolutely no idea who the doorman is. Seriously. Not a clue. (other than a member of BF.net) or how the nick name came about.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Doorman is the guy who always sits near the visitor's dugout wearing a Pilots jersey, right? He posts as rickey24 (if I'm not mistaken) on this site as well. He has the Doorman nickname because he often "shows the door" to opposing batters who have struck out as they walk back to their dugout.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived