Brewer Fanatic

When will our trees get leaves again?

RyDogg66

I can never remember from year to year when we can expect leaves on the trees but I am anxious for it to happen. I can see some very small buds on some branches but nothing resembling leaves.

So when is the typical time that Wisconsin trees grow leaves again?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
end of April
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Best bet, mid August. Things are already green and going here in Texas.
Yes, we get it. You live in Texas and it's warmer there than the midwest. But it also means you have to live with Texans....I'll call it even.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

But it also means you have to live with Texans....I'll call it even.
I'll take Texans over Wisconsinites any day. No offense intended Wisconsinites. I've met a few I like. I just feel much more at home here. And I don't ever have to deal with snow, or if I ever do, it will be on a limited basis.

I'll take Texans over Wisconsinites any day. No offense intended Wisconsinites. I've met a few I like. I just feel much more at home here. And I don't ever have to deal with snow, or if I ever do, it will be on a limited basis.

I think what homer is getting at is that we all know you're from Texas and it doesn't have to be mentioned in all Wisconsin related weather things. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

it doesn't have to be mentioned in all Wisconsin related weather things. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
I'm just trying to share with folks that there are other options out there for living other than the cold and snow.

it doesn't have to be mentioned in all Wisconsin related weather things. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
I'm just trying to share with folks that there are other options out there for living other than the cold and snow.
Really that's all? So then you think we are all ignorant morons with no knowledge of different climates and locations?

Personally, I'm hoping their governor goes through this secession thing so I can enlist and go down there...

Seriously though, yeah, I think most of us have traveled beyond little ol' Wisconsin at some point or another.

I took my mower in for a tune up today and swept the garage out. You can feel summer coming sooner than later!

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Being up in north central WI, we can pretty much tack at least a couple of weeks onto that April 30th date.

More significantly, Milwaukee's last freeze averages April 30th. We're not safe until around Memorial Day, and even then, it's iffy.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I think it's a combination of the amount of sunlight and the ground temp that causes leaves to bud. I know it's sunight that causes the color to change in the fall - that's why you'll see leaves turn even though it's still 70 degrees in early october.

In the Milwaukee area, my dad's rose bushes were starting to grow leaves back around the fourth week of March.

Up here, leaves will start turning color in mid-August.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Yes, we get it. You live in Texas and it's warmer there than the midwest. But it also means you have to live with Texans....I'll call it even.

I'll trade you any day, as I'd trade all the mild winters in the world for beautiful lakes with great fishing for the summer. It's just too bad that the upper midwest is the armpit of my field and if I want work I'll be stuck here, CA (too expensive and crowded), NY (ditto), or NJ (lateral move) for life.

I think Craig has said he's in San Antonio, though, which I've heard is a prettier landscape than here. Though it stays warm in the winter, I can't appreciate the weather because it's still all so ugly and featureless.

Neat question. Unfortunately, there's no magical date deadline for which trees will "leaf out". various species will produce leafs at different times. Some trees will leaf out early in the season (like maples) while others are quite late (ash).

Mostly, the trees are signaled by temperature changes. Ground frost is one factor. Once the ground thaws out, nutrients can flow through the root system easier: mostly feeder roots. The release of foods like water into the now thawed soils enable the trees to take the nutrients through its vascular system and feed the buds. Another and more determining factor has to do with something called Thermal Sum (a combination of degree hours and degree days) In other words, a bud needs to be exposed to say 6 hours of sun and temperatures in excess of 45 degrees F for 6 hours.

While I can't give a specific week that trees will leaf out, the Milwaukee area (wet of the lake) should be rather soon. We've had some warm days which will progress things, but as evening temperatures remain more consistently above around 40 degrees F we will see the first leaves of the spring.

A very generalized answer, I know. Unless you find a magical tree fairy running around the neighborhood, I'd say look at the first two weeks of May in SE WI.

If any of you out there are considering purchasing and planting a new tree or sapling this year, I'd suggest doing it now. See your local Nursery for "Bare Root" stock which will save money, and effort. Planting a tree now causes less transplant shock increasing your success rates.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Archived