Brewer Fanatic

2009-04-17 Brewers (Bush) at Mets (Hernandez): 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-4]

razzzorsharp
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If nothing else, this game really showed the weakness that is the Brewers bullpen. Other than Coffey and DiFelice, no one else has been dependable. I tend to lean towards the "keep Stetter in a LOOGY role" crowd.

There is a lot of good to take away from the game, though. It was nice to see Bush bounce back from the tough start to the game. Great to see Braun turn on a pitch inside and hit it out. Coffey continues to impress. This definitely isn't a 3-7 caliber team, but until the bullpen shakes itself out they may keep losing games late.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

davego, I initially figured we may consider that, but then I thought of how McClung is more of a power pitcher who can get a little wild at times, so I figured that as we'd already walked in one run in the game Macha probably wouldn't load the bases again and risk that.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I can't really blame the loss on McClung. There was that pointless intentional walk, and Hardy was not having an on night with his fielding.

Obviously the walk didn't hurt or help McClung -- except for avoiding Church -- and the Brewers got what they needed -- 2 weak groundballs, which were just perfectly located, especially Castillo's "opposite field" dribbler.

That said, McClung has walked at least one batter in each of his appearances this year.

I thought Coffey looked very good, he seems to be one of the few Brewers that isn't insistent on walking a lot of players.

Archived