Brewer Fanatic

Writer Karabell ready to give up on Turnbow

phxMILWfan

Eric Karabell is only days away from giving up home that Turnbow could be the Rangers closer this year. I'm surprised he needs a few days yet.

On the farm

Derrick Turnbow, Rangers: Hard to believe this right-hander was one of the top closers in baseball in 2005, but it's true. He went 7-1 for the Brewers and saved 39 games, boasting a 1.74 ERA. Since then, his wildness has gotten the best of him, to say the least. The Brewers gave up on him when he couldn't throw strikes last season (13 walks in 6 1/3 major league innings; 41 walks in 18 Triple-A innings … yes, you read that right: a 3.22 WHIP and 10.50 ERA in the minors), but the Rangers took a shot by offering him a minor-league deal this past winter. Turnbow didn't make the team, blaming his demotion on spring rust, but he did show signs of being competent. No Rangers pitcher appeared in more official spring games, and Turnbow fanned 13 hitters and walked nine in 12 innings. That's progress, I suppose. Now in Oklahoma City, Turnbow's first outing was a disaster; he walked four of the five hitters he faced. Why are we discussing him? I placed Turnbow in the "stealth" category for Rangers saves on the bullpen chart page, mainly because Frank Francisco is about the only reliable right-hander the team has, and he's a largely unproven closer. I'm days away from removing Turnbow from consideration if he can't harness his considerable stuff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/flb/story?page=re090415

(edit: thread title --1992)

2 of the 4 walks issued on his last appearance were IBB. (Well one due to Wild Pitch). Here's a recap..

Memphis Bottom 10th

* Pitcher Change: Derrick Turnbow replaces Pedro Strop.

* Shane Robinson flies out to left fielder Brandon Boggs.

* Tyler Greene walks.

* With Jon Jay batting, Tyler Greene steals (1) 2nd base.

* Derrick Turnbow intentionally walks Jon Jay.

* Coaching visit to mound.

* With Joe Mather batting, wild pitch by Derrick Turnbow, Tyler Greene to 3rd. Jon Jay to 2nd.

* Derrick Turnbow intentionally walks Joe Mather.

* Casey Rowlett walks. Tyler Greene scores. Jon Jay to 3rd. Joe Mather to 2nd.

Now if only we can dump Julio, another hard throwing no control guy.

I don't think it's really a "What happened to cause this?" type of situation. His minor league control numbers have always struggled (4.5 BB/9 over 400+ innings). If you look at his career stats, 2005 is the year that jumps out as a fluke. It isn't like he was always a highly regarded prospect who lost it. We found him on the scrap heap, harnessed his control for about 200 games and then just like that, it was gone again.

The only reason he's holding any hope is because Karabell is a fantasy writer and Texas doesn't necessarily have a decent option for a closer. If Turnbow had ANY semblance of control, he could easily have made their bullpen in some kind of role, with the good possibility of getting back into the closer's role. That would make him a fantasy steal in deeper leagues...with a REALLY optimistic owner...who probably isn't a Brewer fan...

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

How does one get the distinguished honor of being called a "fantasy writer."

Also, why do people want advice on how to run their fantasy teams? I've never been in a fantasy league, but it seems to me the point is to run a team on your own like you were the GM and then you go and seek advice from "experts?"

Just one of my pet peeves. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Community Moderator
My favorite Turnbow moment is from his bobblehead night. The Brewers scored 4 in the bottom of the 8th to tie the game at 4. Yost brought in Turnbow for the 9th and he promptly gave up a home run to Paul LoDuca. Right after the home run, Turnbow's head came flying onto the field and landed near Geoff Jenkins. Seeing that made me laugh off that loss.

To be fair, Eric Karabell is a fantasy sports writer. His job is to find an "unknown" darkhorse who could come out of nowhere and contribute to a fantasy team. And frankly, there aren't many good arms in the Rangers clubhouse. While he's struggling, there's still that outside shot he could pull it together.

Archived