Brewer Fanatic

Is this Weeks breakout year?

nate82

His K-rate is right around 25 % for the year, which is right in line with what he's done since he's been in the league. Also, his walk rate has been steadily increasing since he got his 2nd walk several weeks back. I think him walking just 1 time in his first 70 or 80 at-bats was more or less just a fluke, deflating his OBP to start the year in the process.

I have no idea what to expect from Weeks at the plate going forward. He's been all across the board from year to year. I do believe he's turned a corner defensively though.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been a huge Weeks critic, but if he can finish with a .375/.475/.850 line and play atleast average defense, i'd say extended him. $2.45m in 2009, with two arby years left (2010 and 2011). Would a 4/24 deal get it done? (buy out 2 years of arby and 2 years of free agency?) from a counting stats perspective he really hasn't done that much in his 4+ seasons in the league and this is a down market. 4/24 is pretty close to what we offered Bill Hall a few years ago, but Hall was coming off a massive season that Weeks has never really had

3.75m (2010)

5.25m (2011)

6.75m (2012)

8.25m (2013)

maybe throw in a 10.0m (2014) with a 2.0m buyout as a kicker?

This is a BIG if, because in my mind, Weeks with a below .800 OPS doesn't have much value to me, but signing a .800+ OPS Weeks for 4/24 is a much better use of resources in my opinion that signing Hardy to a 5/75 deal it would probably take to keep him here, especially if Weeks keeps playing well and Hardy doesn't quickly get into .800/.850 OPS range

I wouldn't be too eager to lock up Weeks right now. The Brewers have a decent chance of having a prospect be ready to replace him in 2012.
Why replace good players? This team will have money to burn after Suppan is gone, how should we spend it? I think you'd agree FA is a route to avoid.

Lawrie is a terriffic prospect. His bat will play at any position. Melvin was just quoted about him:
"When Brett was drafted, he was drafted for his bat," Melvin said. "It wasn't firm where he was going to play, and [second base] might not be his last position, either. He's athletic enough to play a couple of positions."

It seems odd Melvin would say that unless he ws already considering an extension for Weeks. Niether Hardy nor Hart are interested in extensions, and Weeks is more appealing to extend than Hart anyway. If Weeks were extended, we'd be able to move Lawrie and earmark him as a replacement at another position. That would create a trickle up effect and give us surplus talent for a mid-season deal for our only need shortterm and longterm, a stud pitcher.

I think this shows what a bargain an extension to Weeks would be; Fangraphs has Weeks on pace to be worth $28 million this year! I still don't think he's maxxed out yet . Get it done Doug!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Or maybe he just meant that if Lawrie doesn't have what it takes defensively to play second base, he could be moved to the outfield, or another position.

That said, I'm not opposed to giving Weeks an extension, assuming it's reasonable. It would be dangerous to give him a big long term deal based on less than two months of solid success, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It would be dangerous to give him a big long term deal based on less than two months of solid success, though.
True, but the if we wait fir him to continue to produce, that will drive his price up. An extension now won't be a bad deal if he turns out to be only a good player instead of a great one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Or maybe he just meant that if Lawrie doesn't have what it takes defensively to play second base, he could be moved to the outfield, or another position.
If you read the entire article that's not what Melvin was getting at, he's athletic enough he could play anywhere on the diamond, but he's making significant strides at 2B in a short time. He's a guy they can tell to correct something, and he actually goes out and does it... those guys are pretty rare.

He provides defensive flexibility with his tool set, I believe Melvin was actually saying is that his bat is so good they would consider plugging Lawrie in where ever they have the greatest position of need.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

True, but the if we wait fir him to continue to produce, that will drive his price up. An extension now won't be a bad deal if he turns out to be only a good player instead of a great one.
Hopefully it wouldn't turn out to be a Billy Hall type of situation.

Hopefully it wouldn't turn out to be a Billy Hall type of situation.
Well Weeks has already bulked up, and his batspeed is still fine, and that was a major portion of what temporarily killed Hall. I doubt they're going to jump Weeks from position to position like they did with Hall, considering Weeks has been a defensive asset so far. His UZR/150 is +34. Then throw in the likelyhood that Hall will be worth more than his salary will pay him this year, and I don't see a problem.

I think some are still operating under the idea that Wendy still runs this team, and we have a bottom feeder payroll. We have a healthy budget, but need to find a good way to spend it. Its either FA, or extend our own. Weeks is a good player, and potenially a great one. If he stays on his present pace, he's already a great one.

Why replace good players?

The Brewers are going to have to replace good players. That's not a question. The question is which good players they will have to replace.

This team will have money to burn after Suppan is gone, how should we spend it?

No, they won't have money to burn. They should have sufficient money to plug whatever holes exist in the 2011 team. Right now my guess is a closer and maybe a starter, but that's just a guess.

I think you'd agree FA is a route to avoid.

I completely disagree with that. The right FA can be a huge assest for a team. It's just a matter of finding the right player within the team's budget.

The Brewers are going to have to replace good players. That's not a question. The question is which good players they will have to replace.
They'll have to replace the guys that want to test free agency. Thats Hart, Hardy, Fielder. They will likely also replace Bush, and Hall. They will already have replaced Kendall, Suppan, and Cameron. Who's left to pay. Extending Weeks saves money in 2011, not increases it. Weeks salary won't increase the payroll with an extension untill 2012. That fits perfectly. Lets lock this guy up through his prime years. It could be a steal, and we would at least get our money's worth.

This team will have money to burn after Suppan is gone, how should we spend it?

No, they won't have money to burn. They should have sufficient money to plug whatever holes exist in the 2011 team. Right now my guess is a closer and maybe a starter, but that's just a guess.

Have you done a projected payroll for 2011. If you did I think you'd realize what great shape we're in going foward.

Well they will need at least one starter, but really in two years they might need to rebuild for a year, which is why Hardy shouldn't be traded but that's off topic a bit. Anyway after 2010, Hardy's a FA, Hall's a FA, Suppan's a FA, Looper's a FA and more importantly Bush is a FA. A year after Hart, Weeks and Fielder are FAs. So while the Brewers will have a lot of money they will have a bunch of holes so they may need to move Hart and Fielder to get pitching and then they are really rebuilding. Something obviously could change for this but 2011 looks to be a year to try to break in young talent.

The Brewers won't have money for three starters so might as well take some money and sign Weeks if you can get him at a decent price.

Have you done a projected payroll for 2011. If you did I think you'd realize what great shape we're in going foward.

There are so many variables that I haven't done one. I don't know if Melvin will want to retain Hardy. I don't know if I can assume a Brewer prospect to be ready at C. I don't know who will be playing 1B.

There's certainly a possibility that the the 2011 team could feature Escobar at SS, prospect at C, Jeffress and one other prospect as SP, Cain in CF, Green at 3B, Gamel at 1B, etc. I just won't assume that all of that is true.

Lets lock this guy up through his prime years. It could be a steal, and we would at least get our money's worth.

Yes, it could certainly be a steal, but I don't think it's a given that he would be worth whatever he's paid. He's yet to have a good, full healthy season, and 2B is a tough position to play.

Imo locking Rickie up right now is a dicey move. I think I'd prefer to just see him play out his arby time here, and if it's still making sense & the Brewers can work out an extension before he hits FA... go for it. I'd just hate to see a contract doled out based on a couple months of play.

I want to complement ESPN for calling Weeks as one of 3 players on the decline at 2B to start the season.

Fantastic as always.

Hahaha! This is great stuff... I remember thinking when I saw that ESPN 'confuscation' scroll across the bottom of my screen, 'Boy, they really don't do their homework, do they?'

This is purely anecdotal, but the homeruns Rickie hits seem to be frozen ropes, not the towering bombs other guys hit. Hard to not be excited about 8HRs from him on May 12, no matter how you slice it.

Yeah, Rickie's really (imho) showing why people -- including his teammates -- have gushed about his swing for so long. His success so far this season brings to mind the phrase, 'When he hits it, it stays hit.' And honestly, it's not just the HRs -- he's been turning seemingly everything he squares up on into screaming liners that just don't look like they want to stop.

[Lawrie]'s a guy they can tell to correct something, and he actually goes out and does it... those guys are pretty rare.

I recall encountering some organizational quotes in other articles praising Lawrie for the same/similar things. The jist I got was that the coaches really only feel like they have to tell him things once, and he 'gets' it.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I guess I would probably look at it this off-season. See how Rickie plays the rest of this season, and then if it makes sense, do an extension at that point.

Really, I would expect at least one of Hardy, Hart, or Weeks to get extended. We all know Fielder probably won't be here beyond 2011 (his final arby year), but I would have to think someone will step up to the plate and sign a deal like Braun did.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I guess I would probably look at it this off-season. See how Rickie plays the rest of this season, and then if it makes sense, do an extension at that point.

I think if they have any intention of keeping Weeks past arby, they should lock him up now or never. If Weeks winds up producing like this for a full season, he might just price himself right out of Doug's range.

I think that's what Xellence is trying to get at. If Weeks continues to blow up, the Brewers have a steal. If he reverts back to his career norms, probably not to big of a deal either, as the contract won't "break the bank".

Personally, I don't think an extension makes sense for either side, especially if the braintrust believes Lawrie is on the fast track to MLB.

I would love to see Rickie remain a Brewer. In fact, outside of Braun he is the one player I believe will "age gracefully". I just would like to see a little more "dirt on the track" before we talk extension. My problem isn't performance, rather the injury issue. He has had a thumb, wrist and knee injuries. Also, it seems he gets nicked every year. I would like to see him go the entire 2009 campaign with no major injuries. This concern is the only reason I feel an extension would backfire on the Brewers.

Weeks with HR #9. Shoulda got that extension done this morning.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I stand by my 4/24 offer above. Weeks could end up being similar to Hall, but with the disadvantage that he probably can't play anywhere else in the field. However, if Weeks has an 800+ OPS, his bat will play CF and with his athletic ability he might be a replacement for Cameron next year. Weeks to CF, Hall to 2B, Gamel at 3B!

I think the change is his approach at the plate is obvious. There is no such thing as a "get me over fastball" to Rickie anymore. He sees a fastball in the zone and he's absolutely crushing it. I can live without the OBP, I love his new approach and it's exactly what many of us have been saying for years. Quit worrying about getting on base and hit the crap out of your pitch.. the walks will start to come again as the scouting catches up to Rickie's new approach and they start attacking him in a similar manner to Hart.

The way he's going he may hit 30 HRs this season.

I agree with X, if Weeks is in the plans, lock him up now... The Brewers aren't going to get good deals signing core players after they hit arby... we're looking at contracts escalating to market value in a hurry... they should sign as many to Braunesque deals as they can, extend the core players Brewer careers to 8-9 years with options and I'm a happy camper. These deals must happen prior to year 3 or the player has less incentive to sign the closer they get to FA.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I still think he's out in front on most hits but somehow he adujsts and has the strength to absolutely sting the ball. That dinger he hit tonight he was way out on his front foot. You compare that with the like 9,000 ft home run he hit in St. Louis a few years ago and you can see the difference. I think he has the potential to hit some absolutley ridiculous home runs if he can stay balanced. But don't mess with a good thing.....stay out front if it works, Rickie.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived